1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

People calling you by your first name...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Doris, Sep 7, 2011.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Only a little.

And yes. Practicum work would be student teaching in this example. There are different classifications for it, because you work up from observing to assisting to teaching. I'm in the assisting tier.

2. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Ah, I see. The German equivalent would be a "Werkstudent".

Hope you're having fun doing the Practicum work.

3. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I typically just go with my first name

My four year old dropped her first name at an early age. She hears it at home, but much prefers her middle name.

4. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

My life is full of nicknames. I always use the abbreviated version of my first name. Only my parents and my grandparents use my entire first name. My sister and I have called each other "Pookie" since high school. Rent was all the rage and she started calling me Pookie to piss me off, which worked, but then I started calling her that and over the last ten years or so it's just become a term of endearment. My parents call each other "chootz" for reasons I've never figured out.

My wife calls me "Tiger" and variations thereof. I call her "Kitten" and variations thereof (especially Chinese variations). Sometimes it gets a little hard to keep track of, not gonna lie.

5. This is a bit off topic, but I was thinking about titles earlier today. I still make sure to call people Mr. Ms. Mrs. or Dr. and will do so until someone says, "please call me 'First Name." It's how I was raised and what I've learned in stuffy business etiquette trainings. I still feel odd sometimes calling someone by their first names, especially those who "outrank" me. Because I work for a university, I often get called Dr. Squirrel if a student has no clue who I am. I think it's cute but will correct whomever sent me the email. When I do, if ever, get my PhD. I will be of the order that believes I earned that title and will choose not to be buddy-buddy with my students by asking them to call me Zombie or Dr. Zombie even....it'll be Dr. Squirrel.

Also, if someone is dumb enough to let me adopt a child, they will call adults Mr./Ms./Mrs. LastName. I will ask of their friends to call me Ms. Squirrel or Mrs. Squirrel-Wombat. My friend's girls do call me Miss Zombie and I feel ok with that. I like knowing that a child is making an effort to show that he/she has some respect for adults. Then again...that's how I was raised and I understand that is not most people's take on the subject. Maybe I should let go of my old-fashioned values, but they worked for my mother.

6. I go by my middle name, so the only people who call me my first name are people who don't know me well. I have numerous nicknames, but none that are regularly substituted in place of my real name.

I don't like being called Mrs. Green, although I rarely find myself in the position to be called that anymore, unless I am at my son's school for a function. When hubby was in the military, I was always being called Mrs. Green and I hated it.

Growing up, I always called friends parents Mr/Mrs. X, and I expect my son to do the same unless they give him permission to do otherwise.

7. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

And is there Eileen Dover in your contacts?

Whoever said their posts might be off-topic, I don't mind, it's fun reading these replies.

We don't generally use any Ms/Mrs/Mr titles here, unless it's very formal, like meeting the president. I'm not in the academic world, so I don't know, if they have it different. I doubt though, because all young adults, I've seen at work, and who may still study, speak in rather relaxed way about their teachers(professors?).

8. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I've actually started having a set of people call me by my first name. It's been really useful in finding out who is calling me when they ask for me by that name. I immediately know how to respond to the caller based on their request to speak to a particular person that isn't my middle name.

9. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Nicknames don't have to come directly from your name, although most do. How do they get Hank out of Henry, Jack out of John, Peggy out of Margaret? I have a friend, Librado, who pulls Brad out of the middle of his name. My friend Alan Anderson goes by Sparky. Pick something you like and start using it.:)

I loath my given first name, which is Sophia.:mad: What were my parents thinking??? Lindy is a diminutive of my last name. I started using it in middle school. All of my friends, relatives, and business associates call me Lindy.
    Like cyn, I am warned when a caller asks to speak to Sophia. Back when I was working my way out of debt ten years ago I always could tell the bill collectors (or phone solicitors) because they asked for Sophia.

Lindy

10. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

I have a several different social circles, so I go by my first name in some of them, then one of three nicknames in the others (plus all the variations that go into each). It helps when I bump into someone I don't quite remember and they pick a nickname it lets me know the general social orientation of the group I know them from. Also, lately, it's let me know the time period when I met them, which is kinda cool.

11. Remixer

I'm utterly confused with you ZombieSquirrel. Are you a male or a female?

Having been raised in Germany, I share the same practices as ZombieSquirrel when it comes to "superiors" and business contacts. No such thing as first names until the opposing party gives their OK.

12. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

My name is Daddy, according to my daughter when she went to school. The kids were asked what their parents' names were; why, I have absolutely no idea. My daughter replied Daddy, and insisted I had no other name.

As for the rampant informality of calling everyone by their first name, it has gotten out of hand. When I get a call from someone I do business with, I want to be called "Mr." until I offer them the option of calling me by my first name. I guess I'm old fashioned, but then I'm just old.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

No, I like that there isn't an obvious nickname for my name. The people I'm close to have their own nicknames for me that have nothing to do with my name (well, ZombieSquirrel calls me Vodka, as previously mentioned, which is kind of related.)

On the titles, the first time someone called me Miss Cinn, I thought it was too formal. Now I kinda like it. My (potential) kids will probably do the same.

Most of my workplaces have been informal, so most of my bosses have been called by their first names-- which is how they introduced themselves.

14. How have I confused you?

15. Remixer

Coupled with you having been in a college sports team and your profile stating you're male = confusion.

EDIT: Oh wait... that was the comment feature for your profile. I thought the male-symbol avatar stated your sex, when it was actually my avatar. Ignore me, I'm new to this stuff.

16. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I just looked and her profile says "female". I think you're the source of your own confusion.

I've met her and she's definitely a she. Granted it was in a bar and I didn't see her naked, so it's mathmatically possible that she's a highly passable tranny, but I don't think so.

17. Remixer

Yeah...

18. I got the top surgery but not the bottom yet. I am really good at tucking.

I've confused people on here before. ZombieSquirrel isn't exactly a feminine name and I don't always come across as feminine myself. You probably won't see them on Tilted Exhibition, but I have boobs and a vagina, and keep my phallic toy in a drawer. Only special people get to see my girly bits... Like CinnamonGirl.

19. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

[insert Lordeden /sandwich joke here at later date]

20. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I go by Stan or Mr Lastname. Anyone that addresses me as Stanley, does not know me.

Informal is fine most of the time. I do prefer Mr Lastname in a business environment where I deal with customer's customers and assorted vendors that I do not know.