1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

People calling you by your first name...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Doris, Sep 7, 2011.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

to quote Glory's Sun "that's hot!"

• Like Like x 1
  2. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

oh my...

I uh.. umm.. so um.. hey..I gotta use the restroom. I'll be right back.

3. I hate you

What's hot? Tucking or girlie bits?

NEVERMIND....Back to FIRST NAMES! Sorry.

My name real name (as in on my birth certificate) is technically a nickname/shortened version of a longer name.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Turns out her name's Candy. You have to say it like a richie, though:

"Kahn-dee, be a doll and fetch me another martini, would you?"

5. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

My ENTIRE name first middle last is shorter than quite a few first names. It's a little difficult to give me nicknames that shorten my name at all.,

I've got a middle name that in certain parts of the country I could string together with my first and use as a 2 word first name, and totally fit in.

In just about any area I work or interact in these days, aside from going to Dominicks, I get called my first name. My mom is a teacher/Principal so if I hear Mrs. or Ms. I automatically think someone is asking for my mom, even if she's not around.

6. Jove

Jove Slightly Tilted

Usually called by my first name, but when I was growing a beard I frequently heard Mr. Jove or Sir. It was an odd experience.

7. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

Here in Finland mom is usually 'äiti' and dad is 'isä', that's how I called my parents, but my cousins' mother's native tongue is Swedish, so they called their parents 'mamma' and 'pappa', in Swedish. For some time as kid, I thought those were their first names.

One evening at work my colleague's, who's in 30's or younger, 1,5 y/o son visited us with his father. He was at a distance, but he peeked me at my cubicle, so I winked him. He said something to his mother and I heard her whispering something about grandma not being here... Hehe... even though my own daughter is only six, I guess my age is already showing. :p

8. For most of my life, the only people I tolerated "Jimmy" from were family. Friends knew I preferred "Jim" and respected that. Somehow, at work I've become known as "Mr. Jim." A lot of customers have even picked up on it. If you call looking for "James," I'm pretty sure I don't want to talk to you.

If a non-family someone called me Jimmy, I took it as an attempt insinuate an intimacy that didn't exist. I resented it. When we put the Flynns together, I looked for a musical identity separate from the day job me. I decided to embrace my Jimmy-ness. I'm beginning to l like it.

There's still a select group, mostly guys I've bowled with over the years, still call me grumpy in some form or other... plus, of course, all of my dear friends here.

9. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

Do I have to choose, cuz they're both hot..just sayin'

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

I go by a few names - Asshole, both birth and most common. Happy is another, but they only call me that on the construction sites. Dealing with others bullshit all day long results in an unmistakable demeanor after a while.

Oddly enough, I called my parents by their first names for as long as I can remember, right down to childhood. I remember starting it on the basis that if you're a kid, and you yell "Mom" or "Dad" in a crowd, nobody can figure out who's actually calling them. First names went a little easier, so it stuck from there.

11. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

When my son was almost 3, we visited my sister-in-law. Her daughter is 3 months older than my son. I always spoke French to my son, although he called me by the English "Daddy". My niece spoke Polish to her father and called him "Papa" and English to me. She thought my name was Daddy, and would call me that. I took them to the playground, and there was another child there about the same age. His mother noticed me speaking different languages to the 2 kids, but that both called me Daddy and asked if they were twins. I just said, no, they were cousins born three months apart.

It was not until I got back to the house that I understood why she gave me such an odd/horrified look at my reply :p.

12. I have a common enough first name that also has a common short version. For some reason, every single person I've ever slept with has called me by the long version. Now, while I'm not opposed to sleeping with someone who doesn't, I think this has led to me accidentally putting some people into the friend zone! I do know one time it came up in conversation with a girl I had just met, and from then she started calling me the short version, and I knew I was sleeping with her that night. Afterwards she started calling me by the long version. :D

Conversely, I have teased a girl I know that calls me by the short version by failing to hear it or loudly exclaiming I don't know anyone by that name, because I am a jackass. :)

It's fun. It's a name. People assign however much value to them. Some people love nicknames and dish 'em out regularly. Some feel the opposite. The trick is figuring out what you are dealing with.

13. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

This is interesting, because I notice, it takes time for me to call some people by their nicknames, if I don't feel that close to them, even though I don't hear others calling them by their given name. I'm working on trying to address someone at work by his nickname, everyone's using, but it feels weird. Hmm...

Like I said earlier, my daughter is now calling us parents by our first names, but she's using a lengthened version of my husband's name, playfully. :D

14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Oh, Cuthbert.

15. Sometimes you are almost as funny as you think you are, Plan9.

IF THAT'S YOUR REAL NAME! (stare) :p

16. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

Useless fact: #9 - nine - is pronounced the same as Finnish word 'nain': meaning "I fuck".

Honestly. Or would you prefer Nein in Germany, meaning 'no'?

17. cellophanedeity

cellophanedeity New Member

My partner has billions of pet names for me, but other than that I'm generally called Katie or Kate. My brother's ex would call me Kiki, and my best friend called me Kee when we were growing up, but those are special cases. No one calls me by Ms. Lastname, and I'm grateful for it.

I grew up calling my parents mom and dad or ma and pop, and I don't think I'll ever call them by their first names. It would just be strange for us. However, one of my good friends calls his parents by their first names, and it makes perfect sense for them. Whatever works, right?

If I'm speaking with someone I'll call them by the name they introduce themselves as. I assume that if someone wants to be called something else, they'll let me know.

18. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I've had some nicknames thrown at me in the past but, for the most part, people just call me by my first name. There have also been a few that call me by my last name but not so much these days.

19. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Slightly Tilted

I've had tons of nicknames. My mom and sister tend to call me sis, my husband calls me sweet pea or minkanator, and this super alcoholic girl gave me the nickname Minker that has stuck ("OMG, Minker! You've got to take another shot with me!")

That being said, I can't stand when people use my name over and over in the same paragraph. "So, Minka, how was your weekend, Minka? Did you do anything fun, Minka? Minka, I went to the mall and Minka I found the greatest thing!"

Please, get my name out of your mouth. It's starting to creep me out.

20. sillygirl New Member

My oldest son called me by my first name a couple of times when he was maybe 3 and he was learning everyone's 'real' name. Now I'm Mom, Jay is "Jay" unless a teacher asks where his mom and dad are or something, then he'll refer to Jay as his dad or his second dad.. the thing that interests me is that he'll call his father by his first name when he's talking to me about him. *shrug*

I get weirded out when people call me a nickname. My name is short and the only people who get to call me anything other than my first name or 'Mom' are my husband and a couple of friends who I've known since I was a kid.

I also feel like someone's trying to pull one over on me when they use my name a lot, ie, the OP's mention of sales letters. I also feel that way lots of times when someone uses my name in conversation with me... I tend to feel like they're being condescending if I'm the only person with whom they're speaking.

What gets me the most? Being called Mrs (new last name). Considering that my oldest just started Kindergarten, it's happening a lot... and it makes me feel like I'm supposed to be WAY more grown up than I am. lol