1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Jul 14, 2014.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

What are your personal pet peeves?
    Why does it bother you so much?
    How frequently do you come across them?
    How do you respond?
    Do you spend time with people who frequently push your buttons?
    Have you ever "gotten over" a pet peeve?

Mention your pet peeves here.
    ----------------------------
    My pet peeves:

When a person assumes scientific findings are "truth" or "facts" and not up for debate or further investigation. The very nature of scientific pursuit is dynamic and adaptive - with everything up for debate. That's why I like it so much. I often run into this gross misunderstanding of science among religious fundamentalists or Evangelical Christians. Even some people with a college degree in a science field make this gross error. It pisses me off. I usually bite my tongue but when that person should know better, I call them out and explain their ignorance.

When someone says that I should arrive 15 minutes early, and then they arrive 15 minutes late. It effectively wastes a half hour of my time and shows me you place no value on the other tasks I could have accomplished when waiting for you.

• Like Like x 2
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Dirty dishes in the kitchen when the dishwasher has space for them is one of my pet peeves. Dirty socks on the living room floor that then get ignored by their owner are another. As I point out to the culprit, these are things that take a matter of seconds to rectify if they're done immediately, but they do add up when I have to do them for the culprit, and they get on my last nerve. He's learning, though. I just try to remind him that it's something he needs to do and be accountable for. With the socks thing, I started suggesting that he take his socks off when he changes when he gets home; before, he was leaving them on and then deciding to take them off later. Well, if you know you're going to take them off later anyway, why wouldn't you just take them off and put them in the hamper when you take off the rest of your clothes?

Lateness is another. Meetings should start on time. If you say you're going to pick me up at 8:30, I expect you there at 8:30. On the flip side, if we agree we're going to meet downtown for a drink at 2 and you have a family engagement before that, I'm totally okay if you're a little late. I had that happen to a friend recently, and he was so apologetic; it was not a big deal to me, as I know family things can drag on. I'm actually more flexible with the start of class; my general policy is that if you're in your seat when I take attendance, we're cool. There's about a minute of leeway wherein I take attendance, and my school doesn't have bells. They're teenagers; close enough is good enough, and they know what I value.

• Like Like x 2
  3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Having spent a lot of years working in a bookstore, I'd say one of my biggest peeves is parents who drop their children in the kids section and assume the employees will look after them.
    Then the little dears tear up entire sections you just shelved and the parents are confused as to why you can't find the obscure picture book they want.

It also happens in the toy sections of retail stores where I worked which is even worse.
    I try to be polite but it's hard not to tell them they are lucky something didn't happen to their child.
    Every once in a while you get the parent who makes their kids clean up their mess and you really want to run over and hug them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. snowy

I hate it when parents assume that because there are other parents or caregivers around, those people will look out for their kids. I mean, yeah, I will, because I can't help it and it takes a village.

• Like Like x 2
  5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Why the hell does everyone line up in one lane at a stoplight,
    when there are 2 or 3 lanes???

And no, they are all not turning right or left or following each other.
    It just shows they truly aren't aware of their surroundings.
    Just driving along...la..la...laah...la, la, lah.

Why yes, I get an advantage because I'm willing to change one lane.
    But it just doesn't make sense to me.
    And they sometimes block turn lanes or entryways.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Pet peeves, are you kidding....
    Lets start with driving.....
    Why do people race up to a RED light?
    Why not use that lever on the left of the steering wheel...ya' know the F*****G TURN SIGNAL indicator...what is it a secret or can't you decide what you are going to do in advance.
    Get the HELL out of the left lane if you are going just the speed limit, it's not your job to limit MY speed.
    Again, iF you are CHANGING LANES ON THE HIGHWAY SIGNAL you A** ***E
    MORONS on HARLEY motorcycles your noisy shit sucks...
    More??? Lets just start with those

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jon Quixote

Jon Quixote Vertical

When it comes to driving, I hate it when pedestrians take their sweet time crossing the street, especially when the light changes or a car is OK to turn. I speed-walk when their are cars waiting for me, why can't everybody else? Also, as DAKA put it, "MORONS on HARLEY motorcycles your noisy shit sucks..." The sound a backpack makes when the straps rub against it makes my ears bleed, and styrofoam rubbing together is annoying too. When people shove their opinion in my face, but are unwilling to debate it. There are others, but I think that I have a pretty small amount of pet peeves (though what pet peeves I do have tend to infuriate me).

My biggest pet peeve of all, though, is when something bad or startling happens- say a heavy object falls and makes a loud noise, a child trips and cuts or bruises him/herself, a fire starts in your house- and somebody just screams. My mom used to do that, one time my little brother fell off a stool and my mom literally shrieked before helping him. When someone's first reaction in a bad situation is to scream instead of keep cool and/or help, my first reaction is to sign him/her up for the death penalty, I can't stand it.

8. rogue49

I actually have a pet peeve about some people who have a certain pet peeve.
    Grammar Nazis
    Watch what I'm saying...not how I said it.
    What I'm saying is more important...and if a minor thing is wrong, it doesn't discount everything that's been said.

In honor of you and why I hate these "word crimes"...
    Weird Al's Word Crimes

• Like Like x 3
  9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'm a Grammar Nazi. But mostly on paper. And more often in my head, not openly to embarrass people.

10. snowy

I get paid to do it, but I try to limit myself. Plus, there are stylistic choices to be made in writing. This is something I struggle with; I know all the rules, and sometimes it is difficult to break them.

11. rogue49

Oh, I don't mind if someone corrects me...it's if they ignore what was said...or think less of it, because of it.

12. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE PUSH THE LOCK BUTTON THERE KEYLESS REMOTE AND MAKE THE HORN BLOW 4 OR 5 TIMES. ONCE IS ENOUGH

13. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

People who can't be bothered to back up a little and park between the white lines.

People who intentionally park to take two spaces (hey, asshole, if you're that worried about your precious vehicle, park way out in the parking lot, or drive up several floors in the parking garage, where there are plenty of parking spaces).

People who "wake up" and speed up when you go to pass them on the freeway, only to "go back to sleep" after you pass. One asshole went from 72 to 88 when I tried to go around him. Once I passed him, he quickly went back to sleep.

Motorcyclists who do the above, but intentionally. Our Highlander weighs about 3400 pounds, and has four wheels on the ground. If I seriously wanted to get over in front of you, I'd just indicate, speed up considerably, and change lanes regardless of your effort not let me pass you and change lanes in front of you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

People who complain loudly about a television show or movie the entire time that it's on, then turn around and talk about how much they loved it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

People who play let's see how close I can get to the bicyclist when they drive past.
    People who pull so far out in a the intersection that you have to swerve into oncoming traffic to get past them.
    People who honk their horn as they come up on you, I heard you a long time ago asshole.
    People who throw things at you.
    People who ignore your hand signals, don’t signal themselves, try to drive over you, then give you a dirty look for getting in their way.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Women who wear dresses than end up looking like sausage casings. If I can see your bra lines, your belly button, your underwear lines, and your cellulite clearly through the fabric AND it's bunching up every time you move, get some new clothes. I have all of those things, except the clothes riding up, but I don't expose them via my clothing.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

noodle
    How about this, here in South Fl, we go out to Blue Martini occasionally on a Friday evening for happy hour. we get a laugh from watching the "outfits" on some of the 60 and 70 year old trying to look 30's or even 50's...good lord, did you look in the mirror before you left the house....did you wear your glasses or contacts.....what a show....then there are the "uncles" with their "nieces" ..... oh and park my Lambo up front... (that is a show in itself, ever watch a tightly dressed young lady get out of a really low slung car......wow nice underwear....)

18. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Your sarcasm is clearly misplaced given your audience, Good Sir. Lambo passenger seats are designed for young women in very short dresses so as provide maximum flashing potential.

I believe it is in the manual somewhere.

I don't like mediocrity. I expect when something is done, it will be assessed to confirm it is completed.

Like, say, painting a wall. You might want to check to see if you've painted all the corners. Just... go over it. It would absolutely be a best practice if you, say, operate a painting business.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I love people watching in South Florida, @DAKA, I adore it. I'm taking about the 50 year old woman who was sausaged into a white dress... For work. When women are in their 70s, hell, wear what you want, you've earned it, ha ha.

20. Sierra Vertical

People who violate others pet peeve just because knowing it's that persons pet peeve.
    Corporate speak...
    People who think they know how someone thinks, feels and forms judgements or opinions solely based on how they look.
    Drivers that behave as though they posses no common sense or decency (this covers numerous driving pet peeves).

• Like Like x 2