1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Phone ownership

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by DAKA, Dec 24, 2013.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

A while back I "upgraded" to a SAMSUNG GALAXY III FROM MY "flip phone"
    Needless to say I hated the new phone, too big, to many functions and too complicated for my "OF" brain...so..I went back and changed back to the flip.
    Now I have this "thing" and I asked at ATT what I should do with it, they told me that I should keep it because....blah....blah....number....something....
    I have no use for this thing as I will never be using it..I have all the paraphernalia that came with it. box, manuals , cords and an OTTER BOX.
    I see them on CRAIGS LIST for anywhere from $200 to $350....
    My question is, can I just advertise it and sell it without worrying that I'll be held responsible for anything?

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Or as I like to call it: Phownership.

But seriously: I think if you remove the SIM you can do whatever with the phone.

3. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Factory reset it and sell it. unlock it if you're comfortable doing so, otherwise just specify that it isn't unlocked.

• Like Like x 1
  4. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Yup. Pop out the SIM card, perform a factory reset, make your your personal information is off it, and then sell it. If it's locked you'll get a lower price for it, but it's better than having it sit in your drawer collecting dust.

Some of us routinely sell our old gadgets to help fund the cost of buying newer, shinier gadgets.

5. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

My employer pays for my smartphone as part of some huge contract with Verizon. They give me a new phone every so often, whether I want it or not.

When the replacement came, I used to carefully wrap up the old phone with all its manuals and cables and accessories, but they are not AT ALL interested in taking it back.

As far as I can tell, used smartphones have little or no value.

6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

This depends heavily on the device in question. Older and/or lower-end devices don't have a lot of resale value, but a used mid-range or high-end device that's only a generation old can be sold for a fair chunk of cash. A current gen phone will go for even more.

An S III is last year's model, but poking around the corners of the interwebs seems to indicate that $200-$300 isn't an unreasonable estimate provided the device is in good condition.

Your employer has no interest in selling used phones because your employer (I'm guessing) is not in the used phones business, and it would make little sense for them to allocate resources to attempting to resell these devices. It's a stretch to assume based on this that the phones themselves are worthless.

7. DAKA

I posted the phone on CRAIGS LIST, at 11 and by 3pm I had 5 calls, must be too cheap.. I deleted it

8. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Go peruse Ebay to see what kind of prices your phone is fetching. You can get a pretty good price I bet.

9. DAKA

I did sell it for $275....now back to the flip, and it's all I need...

10. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted