1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Phones

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by DAKA, Dec 18, 2013.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

after a visit to verizon they swapped my phone out for another one. and i love it since its working correctly

• Like Like x 1
  2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I did not plan on upgrading my phone at the time but there has been one thing I have for it that has made it so much more valuable.
    LightMeter
    This has me thinking I should consider buying one of these "older" light meters rather than the fancy digital ones I have been wanting to buy.

3. Since I'm under no pressure to upgrade, and my Thunderbolt is still working well enough, I'm sitting tight and waiting for real world reviews of the new Amazon Fire. We have been contemplating a change of providers, anyway. AT&T is one of the options we're considering.

I want to know if those unique features they offer have a real advantage or are just flash-bang window dressing. I want some feedback on build quality and performance vs claims. I think I would like a 4.7" phone that offers the features of the 5+" phones. I know I would adapt to the S5 of M8 readily enough, but if the Fire is a viable option, I'm interested. Pre-release reviews aren't super positive, though.

4. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Hubs wants to change to t-mobile when I get back (coverage is horrible in the LC) so I might get a new phone :) I like my S3 but the new S5 model looks fun. I have time to do research, so I'm going to take the time to learn about what they have.

5. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Nothing about it justifies the price. The 3D gimmick is the only thing that makes it unique and even taking the free year of Prime into account, it's $549 or $99 on contract for a phone that gives you a "BUY EVERYTHING YOU SEE ON AMAZON NOW!" experience.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The more I read, it seems to be a product to drive Amazon sales. I've lost interest in it. I still would like to hear @GeneticShift's take on her One (M8). A close friend got the new Galaxy and I'm not super impressed.

7. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I wrote a pretty heavy list up a few posts. I love it. You can mess around with it next time I see you if you want.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I can't believe I missed that. Thanks. Just the kind of input I was looking for.

And... speaking of seeing each other, we have to get to a ball game! Plus, I do have your "birthday present" at the store.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Having gotten my Moto X late in its lifespan, I have to admit that I'm going to find it tempting to buy the X+1 or X2, whatever they call it, and sell my current one (developer edition, verizon, never been on a limited data plan) for close to or more than what I paid for it

• Like Like x 1
  10. Went phone shopping this morning. We had just negotiated a new family plan. Lowered our bill while increasing our data allowance. Nice. Plus, until 8/17 Verizon is giving away iPhone 5c for free and cutting the price of other phones in half. Got QW the iPhone (she likes those things :confused: ). After fondling the Samsung S5, the new LG G3 and the HTC One (M8), I opted for the HTC in the silver/gray. It was $99.99, rather than $199.99. I'll have it Tuesday.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Haha @grumpyolddude - I came here to proclaim my joy about the exact same phone!

After my beloved and venerable white HTC One X's buttons went on the fritz (it's still under warranty and I'm gonna get it fixed for free though), I went to the AT&T store and took them up on the the free phone deal they've been offering me for several years now for having been a customer for pushing a decade. I, too, got the HTC One M8, also in the silver/grey color scheme, which is an awesome phone that is getting tons of killer reviews. LOVING it so far - because of the obscene amount of processing power (2.3GHz quad-core) and the rather minimalist and no-frills HTC Sense user interface that just does its job and doesn't eat up system resources by trying to be overly pretty or animated, everything works super-snappy - no screen lag when switching apps or running 2 or 3 apps at a time, like Google Navigation and Pandora in my car. Battery life lasts forever, especially for such a big phone. And, unlike the previous One series phones, it's got a MicroSD card slot - I promptly stuck a 16GB card in there that I had bought as an extra for my GoPro HERO3, but it will take up to 128GB. Very happy with the phone so far.

12. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Recommend a good extended life cell phone battery!

My wife is sick of the crappy battery that comes with the T-Mobile Prism first generation. We're not wanting to replace the actual phones, just get a couple better batteries.

13. Approaching two months of using the HTC One. Amazing battery life. With my typical use, I could conceivably go four days between charges. Usually, I charge every other day, not wanting to start the day below 50%. In Android's Extreme Power Saver mode, 7 or 8 days is a realistic thing.

There are a lot of apps preloaded for which I have no use. I appreciate the ability to restrict background data from running. All of that bloatware was chewing up my data plan with seemingly incessant updates. That crap can wait until I am WiFi connected.

Overall, I am happy with the choice. I've gotten used to the size and balance differences from my old phone. The image quality and speakers are excellent, as are the cameras. I might wish for a bit more volume in phone mode, but it's not really a problem.

All-in-all, it is a good value, with processing power, memory and storage enough to suit my needs for the foreseeable future.

14. Chris Noyb

Wow.

15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Sorry, man. My guess is a lot of people don't buy extended batteries for that particular phone.

16. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

My phone was having issues with holding a charge. Yesterday, we opened it up to pull the SIM from my S3 and the battery was swollen ridiculously. Didn't notice because it was in a big case.
    I'm in love with my S5 Active... It's ridiculous. The battery life is insane. And, it has a micro SD slot, a great camera, and 1080p display. Plus, it's got built-in waterproofing and can be dropped from 3 feet. Not that I'm going to do either... But, I work with kids. Autistic kids at that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. When I wanted a stronger battery for my HTC Thunderbolt, I let Google find one for me.

18. Chris Noyb

If you (anybody) bought an extended life battery, regardless of thr make & model of the phone, what brand(s) did you try? From what I saw Googling extended life cell phone batteries there isn't a huge selection of brands.

19. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Their isn't a ton in that market. Cell phones are almost disposable nowadays. People trade them in or upgrade constantly, so there isn't a massive market for extra batteries.

20. The battery I bought was an actual HTC upgrade. It came with a modified back cover, as the battery was close to twice as thick as the stock battery. There were competitive batteries on the market, but the HTC had much better reviews. But, that was several generations of cell phones ago. What @Borla said is most likely the way of it, now.

My search for batteries for the Prism didn't bear any useful results, just a few inexpensive stock replacement batteries. Perhaps an external battery pack would be an attractive option. 10,000+ mAh units are relatively cheap and about the size of your wife's phone. Depending on how she packs her purse, it needn't be burdensome. Plus, if/when you do upgrade your handsets, the battery pack will still be useful.