1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

photographers we like. (NSFW)

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by mixedmedia, Aug 19, 2011.

1. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

This is another thread I started at the other TFP a couple of years ago, but it went nowhere.
    What can I say, I'm set in my ways.

Feel free to post samples from your favorite photographers here, but let's keep it on the artsy fartsy side, please.

Any subject matter is ok, just don't use this thread to post joke photos and motivational posters. We have plenty of threads for that stuff.

This one is for the folks who enjoy the art of photography.

Like the last time, I start off with my (still) favorite photographer, Sally Mann:

Ms. Mann uses a wide format camera to capture timeless, atmospheric photos that are piercing in their emotional intensity.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

a few more by Sally Mann:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Ansel A, Cartier B. Respect, and thank you teachers. Maybe some from them, later, and possibly some Johnny Stiletto.

Cindy Sherman

As an Actor/photographer, it was her Untitled Film Stills which initially grabbed me. I was struck by her use of herself as subject within the context of dramatic scenario. At times I envisaged her as a Gulliver, collecting the multiple strings from a fleet of Lilliputian ships, as she extracted essence from style, encapsulating, in few images, many sources. The 'twist' being that those sources were themselves time/culture-bound encapsulations of 'real life'. She is one of my favorites because, whilst Cartier B urged me to record the moment, and Ansel A to encouraged me to seek to take precise control of the context in which it occurs, Sherman provided me the frame with which to view my subjects as if they were orchestrating the moment for me - as if they were Cindy Shermans who'd decided to hand me the camera - as if I was a theatrical photographer, recording the scenes they had rehearsed for performance to an audience. She gave me one of the foundations of my street photography style. I'll provide examples, but will open a Street Photography thread and include them in that.

For now, Here are some by Cindy Sherman :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I'd love to see your favorite Adams and Bresson shots, too. :)

Richard Misrach. For his sense of color and abstraction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: in my Sally Mann post I meant to say large format camera, not wide.

5. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I am a big fan of Alexey Titarenko.

As the Soviet policy Perestroika took hold, he was allowed to publicly exhibit his photography as art, which he began with his series "Nomenclature of Signs," which captured striking images of official postings and installations by the Soviet government.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite collection of his is "City of Shadows." These haunting images of daily life in St. Petersburg have inspired me in my own work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

wow, those are extraordinary. and I have never heard of this photographer. thanks, msd!

7. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I forgot to post links for Richard Misrach.
    and here.

Clarence Hudson White.
    One of a group of photographers to first start using the medium as an art form. I love his use of light and shadow.

photo of the photographer by Fred Holland Day
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

I'm a big Robert Alvarado fan. He has a work process for his edits that somehow keep the detail of the photos, while adding that classic pinup blur to them. Quite a few people have tried to replicate it, but nobody has been able to figure out exactly how he does it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Lovely Lovely x 1
  9. Magpie

Magpie Getting Tilted

Here are two photographers that come to mind that I enjoy.

Weegee:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miru Kim:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I love Weegee. I might put up a few more shots of his later.

Thanks for the submissions!

11. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

12. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

Miru Kim, Cindy Sherman, Weegee - there's some great stuff posted here guys. Keep 'em coming.

Hauntingly beautiful stuff, MSD. Thanks for sharing.

(can't post links yet or else I'd have participated.)

13. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

• Like Like x 1
  14. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

I like ngdawg's photographs. I won't post her work, though. It'll probably migrate over here in the archives.

15. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi, This evening, I had a 'dinner date with my self' to fully immerse in all your favorites above, to study their back-stories and seek more of their works. It is awesome and thank you so much :)

I have also sorted amongst the pictures of

Henri Cartier-Bresson
    Here is a written interview , and here is a video of him with Charlie Rose. The conversation itself starts 3 minutes into it.

I have so many favourites because he teaches me on so many levels. So for now, I'll limit myself to his introduction and overview some categories of his influence on me.

These are the first two I ever saw. I did not at first recognize their promise to turn the everyday in to a wonderland, but I could not ignore the beckoning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.... toward resonance with unrehearsable archetypes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... toward attending premiers of films devised and directed by the universe. As if God said, "Aaand ... ACTION!" just before Cartier - B walked round the corner:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and toward harmonies of structure which burn through the content they organize:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

lovely presentation. thank you so much. :)

17. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

• Like Like x 2
  18. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi mixedmedia, I had a good look at Feininger last week, and on returning this evening from a long walk, I find you've posted Sugimoto and therefore I have been studying his work as I wind down. Thank you so much, and this thread is putting backbone into my seeing at a time I most need it. I have still been sorting among Adams work and will post it by Thursday.

Best wishes :)

20. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Glad you're enjoying it. I enjoy sifting through the photos and choosing the selections. I have a sort of ginormous collection of images. :)

I just came across the seascape photos of Sugimoto a few days ago and was instantly attracted. I really dig his minimalist style.