1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

photographers we like. (NSFW)

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by mixedmedia, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

Guy Bourdin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's got a whole body of amazing work that's little more than pretty women, products and some of the most beautiful and creative lighting I've ever seen but sadly that stuff is harder to find online than the more immediate stuff sourced above. Perhaps I'll scan some later.

2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

hell yeah.

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'm still kinda partial to Annie Leibovitz. I guess it might be a little bourgie,
    but I like her more raw stuff and things that are less pop-y.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I read a book of hers, an autobiography of sorts, a couple of years ago. She's awesome. Not bourgie at all. :p

5. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Picking up the Bourdin high fashion smut theme...Helmut Newton...and here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

Pretty amazing stuff. It is putting me in a mellow mood.

7. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Art Wolfe and Spencer Tunick

8. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

the image of the couple on the beach posted by mm, that is an elegant picture. it seems to capture the couple in the moment. it just brings a smile to my face. that picture makes me thing of "LOVE"

9. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

William Eggleston. and here.
    sorry there are so many this time, but it's hard to narrow this one down. one of my very favorites.
    William Eggleston encapsulates most of the themes that inspire me as a photographer. It's not about magnificent images or perfectly composed shots, but capturing a moment of overwhelming beauty that most people miss or dismiss as ordinary or common.
    Plus, he's a southerner. :)

[​IMG]
    the photographer with his Leica photographed by Maude Schuyler Clay​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

Good stuff with the Eggleston post, MM. You've beaten me to the punch.

Just a few years ago the Whitney put on a retrospective of Eggleston's work. Truly remarkable stuff that totally made me rethink a great deal of my approach to making images. Really good stuff.

11. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

here are just a few more Egglestons. it wouldn't allow me to post them all in one post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Eggleston - Definitely a photographer after my own heart. Dignifying the everyday. I'd seen a few of his before ... (that archetypal tricycle!), but this is a total feast; in fact, just what I needed after editing pics from my walk yesterday. Thank you, MM :)

13. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Ansel Adams

[​IMG]

Here is one of my favourites of all time
    [​IMG]

In 1995, the Photographer, Chris Cook did some hefty research and found the location, though not the Moon.
    [​IMG]

I could not find the location, but around 2005, I found the Moon: outside my local supermarket in West London, I saw this scene, and was conscious of paying homage.
    [​IMG]

A spectacular miracle of Adams was to take the vastness of Creation, and transform it into something around which you can put your arms, without choking its grandeur.
    [​IMG]

Ohhhhhh - I mean, Feck! Feck Yeah. Neither mountain nor humanity is lost in this. The message is not 'See how frigging BIG this all is' but 'See how you can embrace its Magnificence!' Adams has in no way diminished it ... and if you remember Michaelangelo's famous finger-zap ... yes?
    [​IMG]

I believe Adams has done that for the relationship between the viewer and the Creation viewed. Lookit this.
    [​IMG]

The mind behind these previous two Adams' pictures puts humans in their place without diminishing one inch of their stature: there is so much to explore, yet contained within our ability to explore it.

And in the following picture, Adams reveals this vision of humanity - each of these people is a beautiful star. It is like a group portrait of those with power to be fruitful and multiply. Somehow, Adams has organized that cluster of people, the mountain in the background, and the tilled field in a proportion which gives each maximum yet no more than maximum power in the picture.
    [​IMG]
    Similarly, Michaelangelo did not put Adam a long way below God. Both elements are strong.

All miracles, Yes. Yet the sweat and blood is accessible. Ansel was committed to sharing not just the what, but also the how.
    In the same way that Michael A left his sketches ... so we get to see behind the curtain, here's Ansel having a go with different views. UNlike Cartier B, This Magnificent Bastich was a Geeky Tweaker.

"Through the arch!"
    [​IMG]

"Now, what if I move my tripod over Here?"
    [​IMG]

That Adams, like Cartier B were teachers is part of why they are two of my favourites.

:)

14. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

That one is especially mind-blowing, although all those pics are impressive.

One photographer I've enjoyed is John Chumack, who does astrophotography. I bought a few of his prints when I met him at an art fair in Michigan.

Here's his site: http://galacticimages.com/catalog/index.php

15. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Thank you, Zen. I enjoy Adams' photos from the WWII Japanese internment camps, as well.
    --- merged: Sep 10, 2011 12:16 AM ---
    particularly this one :)

[​IMG]

16. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Then why isn't the moon in zone 7? :p

17. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

MSD :oops: ... Fixed and replaced ^^^. Thank you :)

Mixedmedia - very interesting Adams' portrait. I'd not properly registered this side of his work. I will explore further. Thank you :)

18. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Try this. :)

19. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Wow! I have quickly gone through these. I'll enjoy them more thoroughly when I have had some sleep ... which I should be getting soon. Thank you - they DO form an amazing collection :)

20. ktspktsp

ktspktsp Vertical

I really like how geometric everything is in this picture.. Almost a fractal-yet-square aspect with all those square shapes. I like that building facade look more than the modern, very glassy skyscraper look that has been more common for a while. At least, from the outside.