1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Pie -what is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Craven Morehead, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

It's between lemon meringue and pecan pie

2. thetemplarswife

thetemplarswife Vertical

My favorite is a cushaw pie. However, cushaws are incredibly hard to find now...or at least around here.

For those that may not know, cushaw looks like a squash but tastes like pumpkin. It's the best thing ever!!

3. Interesting, never heard of it.

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

My mom used to make a chilled strawberry pie when the local strawberries were in season. I haven't had one in over twenty years but my memories of them are very clear and I might cause bodily harm to someone to get a piece today.

Other then those a "good" key lime, I had a lot of bad, or a slice of apple do me just fine.

5. Whole strawberries in a glaze in a pie shell, smothered in whipped cream?

mmm,mmm,mmm

6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Ohhh, Oregon strawberries. Pass the Hoods, please.

7. b2653009 Slightly Tilted

I'm fond of pies with Rhubarb in them...so far I've tried Rhubarb-Apple and Rhubarb-Strawberry. I haven't made either yet myself, but I've been told I make a good old fashioned apple pie, and lemon meringue pie. I'd like to try making other kinds, especially fruit pies.

8. Cheater New Member

Yes, Strawberry Rhubarb is my choice!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

My fiance says: Lemon meringue. Mine: Pumpkin praline. Delicious, delicious pie. Mmmmmm pie.

• Like Like x 1
  10. snowy

My mom makes a pretty epic plain ol' rhubarb pie. No strawberry, no apple, just rhubarb, thickener, and sugar. I suppose eating it and helping her make it is what gave me my taste for plain rhubarb. I love it, even raw.

• Like Like x 2
  11. wyopen

wyopen Getting Tilted

Banana Cream
    Cherry
    Peach
    Boysenberry
    Coconut Cream
    Apple Crumble

12. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Do these things count? I think I love these things (in lemon only) more than I do any real pie!

[​IMG]

13. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I'm with snowy on this. I think rhubarb stands well without any other fruit. On the farm we grew rhubarb along the sidewalk from the house to the garage. Rhubarb jam, cobbler, compote...

Lindy

14. uncharted

uncharted Vertical

Boston cream, or key lime...maybe coconut cream? Can never find a good coconut pie.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Rhubarb just makes me think too much of celery, and celery is hit or miss with me.
    I guess the rhubarb pie I had wasn't that great, or my prejudices got in the way of enjoyment.

I'm with uncharted. Boston Cream, Coconut, even Banana Cream. All great choices.

16. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Rhubarb pie goes down very well indeed. So does apple pie, though I prefer rhubarb. Some years ago, I was introduced to Apricot pie; that blue my mind.

17. ashland

ashland Vertical

Fresh strawberry or fresh peach...love it

18. snowy

If it reminded you of celery, it was very wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Not the taste. The texture and the way it looks. :)

20. snowy

Texture-wise, rhubarb can break down a lot more than celery when cooked. Celery tends to hold its shape. Rhubarb will fall apart, and it's not hard to achieve that, either. For example:
    [​IMG]

The chunks that you can see in this picture would be very, very soft.

I got the picture from this page: http://www.cookincanuck.com/2009/07/spiced-rhubarb-compote/ I want to try making the compote once rhubarb is back in season. Mm, rhubarb.

Also, not a pie, but one of my favorite rhubarb recipes: http://www.marthastewart.com/355798/rhubarb-raspberry-pavlova The rhubarb syrup in this recipe is delicious on ice cream.

• Like Like x 2