1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Pity Party Music

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Plan9, Aug 19, 2011.

1. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

there is a live version i have of 'Sunny Side of the Street' by Louis Armstrong.
    instead of the ebullient and happy way in which he usually sings it, this time he sings it slow and wistful.
    I was sitting in a parking lot, waiting for my ex who was in some store on Aloma Ave, can't remember why - this was just a few days after 9/11 - and I was listening to public radio when this song came on. I sat there and listened to the whole thing, tears rolling down my face, sad, but at the same time happy that Louis wasn't here to see what had happened on that day. That moment has stayed with me and I can't listen to that song without feeling that sadness again.
    I can't find the version on Youtube, I wish there was a way I could post divshare players on here. (subtle hint)

2. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

This is kinda my go to song if I'm in a crap mood.

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Man, I wish that I could let myself have a pity party with theme songs.
    Adele makes me bawl a lot, but I purposefully avoid listening to down music when I'm down.
    I can't afford to. :confused:

4. ring

ring

Music is tricksy. For months I will pretend/refuse to not hear any.
    I like how the morning birdsong teases tender healing flesh back to life.

5. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

Fix You - Coldplay

• Like Like x 1
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Michale Graves (of former Misfits fame) is my one of my favorite emo moment artists.

Your love claws at my insides, your laughter is always close...

And vanish from the physical into my mind...

7. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

8. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

9. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

10. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

I agree with you, L.Eden. The above song is not only my favourite Blink 182 composition, but it is now the only one to have survived thus far in my iPod.
    Unfortunately, I commiserate with thee, G.Hamburger, and explain that so, too, do I have no sort of privilege to post anything besides drab words in what I believe is Arial.
    Maybe I can colour them blue, to fit such a theme? Alas, no, I cannot.

Just to explain: my life is horrible, I'd like to include my one pence of opinion as well, and because, in all honesty, this has been my "theme" on repeat for the past month or so, I believe I'll go ahead and contribute something that defines my current situation.

Blur - He Thought of Cars

-- (to note: I actually really despise myself when I vent or gripe or throw myself a pity party, but it happens all too often now, I just try to shift the topic as quickly as possible, even though I'm the guy that made the conversation awkward in the first place.)

post-script:
    I really like this topic's premise, Plan9 - kudos for thinking it up Plan9, but it will gradually make me want to disappear from reality the more I revisit it. I'll see what I can I do to either contribute more, or move to a better place.

11. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

12. Seer666

Seer666 Getting Tilted

I always like to listen to this one when I'm a bit down.

13. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

It works for me better to listen to more poppy songs, when I'm feeling a bit sad. This is a good one:

When I wanted to learn French, I listened to women like Celine Dion, Lara Fabian, Patricia Kaas etc to learn the pronunciation. That kind of music can bring you down... :D "Je suis malade" by Lara Fabian is one good example.

14. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Once Upon a Season is a fitting album title for such a great collection of chilling outdoor imagery.

15. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

16. fill23ca

fill23ca Vertical

Alive - Pearl Jam

Everybody Hurts - REM

Listened to these a lot after my best friend in highschool killed himself back in 93. He got depressed after all of our group of friends went off to university while he stayed behind.

17. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

18. psykosis

psykosis Getting Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

These songs by 1476 (sung by Argyle Goolsby of Blitzkid fame) remind me that the only closure you find in life is that which you make for yourself.

A dislocated voice from your memory that screams in the night. A body that longs to be found. A sunken recess on your grounds.

You might grab your crucifix and pray and pray and pray... but we'll all haunt our old addictions by the end of the day.

20. Alistair Eurotrash

I used to share a place with a woman who would go into deep "pity me" mode by retreating to her room and drinking a lot of gin and listening to Dory Previn. No links to protect the innocent.

This was usually after she had shamed herself sexually .. again. She wouldn't listen to the, "It's OK.. it's natural" argument until she had finished the gin. Mind you, some of the details did make you think that she had a point.