1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Pointless announcements 2.0

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cynthetiq, Apr 1, 2017.

1. warrrreagl

warrrreagl Slightly Tilted

Spring Break for me starts next week. Yes, I'm a grown-up who still gets to have Spring Break.

Since our farm adjoins a National Forest, the Forest Service will be doing a free controlled burn on our land tomorrow, so I took the day off so I could watch. Duh. Therefore, my Spring Break gets a little early jump.

I got a flat tire as I was leaving for work this morning. I quickly put on the spare tire, then drove over to a nearby tire place owned by some of my cousins, and they had me back on the road with a "new" used tire in 20 minutes.

Earlier this week, I was invited to do an academic presentation on Southern Music at a national conference being held on the Carolina shore this summer, and I think I said "yes" before they'd even finished asking the question. Or it might have even been "hell yes." I was too pumped to notice.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

How perfectly non-judgemental and inclusive.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

We had 2 controlled burns in nearby counties recently. It's amazing how far the smoke travels. We're talking Texas counties. Big.
    We also had another controlled burn that turned uncontrolled. Whoopsy!

4. warrrreagl

A Texas cattleman and an Alabama cattleman were talking and comparing their farms. The Alabama man said, "I have 100 acres and about 40 head of cattle. I do pretty well."

The Texas man swelled up proudly, and boasted, "Let me tell you about my spread. I can get in my pickup truck at one end of my farm at dawn, and drive all morning. After I eat a little lunch, I can continue driving until sunset, and even then I still won't be at the edge of my property."

The Alabama man said, "Yeah, I used to have a truck like that, too."

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Fremen

Must have been a Ford. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lindy

A recent immigrant asked a Texas old-timer how to tell the difference between a New Mexico cowboy and a New York cowboy.

The old-timer thought for a minute before replying:

"Well it's really pretty easy. You just look at their boots. With a New Mexico cowboy the bullshit's always on the outside of the boots...;)"

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Fremen

I read the quote in a comment section on FB. About a self-taught rocket scientist who rode his own rocket up over a 1000 ft. and then landed it again.
    Turns out he believes the Earth is flat.
    He wants to build what he calls a rockoon (rocket-balloon) and take it into the atmosphere and prove his theory.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Lindy

Not sure where this should go, but I didn't think it was worth starting its own thread.

Has anyone else heard or used an expression like "I'd be after him (her) like stinks goes after shit." Or something similar? I remember hearing this back home in rural Kansas. Maybe it's just a regional expression.

Or, am I mis-remembering something?

It's not on any similar google searches.

9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Lindy, the closest I've heard is,
    "I'd be on that like stink on shit."

Some old expressions deserve to fade away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. omega

omega Very Tilted

Girlfriend just had a total knee replacement on her right knee. Just hanging out in the hospital room while she slips in and out of sleep.

11. omega

omega Very Tilted

Unarmed black people have been wrongly shot and killed by the police. I don't believe that Alton Sterling was one of them. In the video, he was struggling with the officers. One of the officers screams "he's got a gun". Probably because Sterling was struggling to get it out of his pocket. They told him to stop and he kept going. So they shot him. You can feel the profile of a gun through clothes. And you are taught as an officer that hands kill. If you cannot see the hands, they are a threat. So when someone is trying to jam their hands in their pockets while you are trying to arrest someone, there is a reason. I believe Sterling had a gun and he was going to use it and the two officers did the right thing. In the same situation with someone reaching for a gun I would have done the exact same thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

13. omega

omega Very Tilted

I would like to see a John wick/baby driver team up.

• Like Like x 2
  14. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

How bout John Wick and The Avengers?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. omega

omega Very Tilted

I have seen that floating around the interwebs the past few days. It's pretty funny.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrMD069

MrMD069 Very Tilted Donor

Hope I don't die like George in Dead Like Me. Only, instead of a toilet seat, it'll be a piece from the Chinese space lab. Wait, that would be the PERFECT ending.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lovely Lovely x 1
  17. omega

omega Very Tilted

I'd like to stand out in front of of one the local megachurches tomorrow with a sign that says "if you only go one day a year you are not a real Christian." Those people tend to be pretty vocal about how only God can judge them or they claim that they have a creator that amazingly aligns with their own narcissistic view.

18. Lindy

Wouldn't that only show that an atheist or agnostic can be just as smugly and intolerantly secure in their world view as a megachurch evangelical?

I wouldn't give those bible-thumpers free rent on that much space in my head. I plan on enjoying various sexual activities interspersed with naps until at least 1:00 pm. Then going out for a leisurely breakfast after all the suits and dresses have gone home.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  19. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Exactly.

• Like Like x 1
  20. warrrreagl

I have two Pointless Announcements, so I'll go ahead and automerge them myself.

First, I created the original Pointless Announcements thread many TFP versions ago, and I'm proud to see it motoring along so nicely. I will never forget that the first reply to my new thread came from HalX, and he said, "Isn't this exactly the same thing as Twitter?" Awesome!

Second, feeding hummingbirds is not something you can change your mind about once they start showing up. You can't simply decide you're not going to do it anymore, because they will jump your ass.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1