1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Pointless Announcements

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Baraka_Guru, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

trying to get back in uncle phils posting games forum

that's what first brought me to tfp.

• Like Like x 1
  2. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Ages toddler - preteen.
    I'm attracting a mish-mash of homeschooling families.
    This week our group included:
    2 preteens who were mute due to major social anxiety (mom assured me they were not deaf, just shy)
    1 profoundly gifted 7 year old with ASD
    My toddler
    My 4 year old

Next week we will add a family with three boys age toddler-preschool, a family with triplet 5 year old girls, and a couple more preteens.

So... it's called Free Choir. Free play + singing. I teach tonality and pitch through playful activities. This week we scaled stairs (a note on the scale for each step, up and down), we played bowling for notes where we sing a note as we set up each pin, then sang the lowest note as loud as we could while throwing the ball. We were pretty much wandering all over the house, singing and playing. Let's see... what else happened... While one of the mute girls was trying to play the song by ear on the keybaord, I taught sign language for the song to her shy sister. The mom loved that, so we did ASL for all of the songs and even started doing some show choir moves. My little moons were just along for the ride, watching and singing when they could. They had a blast watching the older kids. At the end of the lesson, we all gathered back in the Music Room to sing the songs we learned. Everyone either sang or signed, and had a blast.

Of our hour total, maybe 15 minutes involved focused work for each child. Even then, it was in the context of fun, and broken up into 5 minute intervals. We were able to come together as a choir and perform each song with confidence by the end of the session. And everyone had fun doing it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Saw on someone's chalkboard today....."I bet Rick Astley struggles with Lent".

Had to LOL at that.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

@genuinemommy, that sounds so cool! And lots of fun.

We got new software at work, and it's a complete clusterfuck. Gah. With the warmer weather (not counting today, anyway) and it getting darker a bit later every day, though, I've started pulling in more hours. Which I desperately need right now. I'm still hoping I can go to Europe next year, even though that probably isn't a realistic goal. (also need a plane ticket this fall.) Trying to save every last bit of money that I can.

• Like Like x 2
  5. *Nikki*

*Nikki* Slightly Tilted

I'm self employed and have been for almost 6 years. It's the most wonderful and the hardest thing ever. I suck at numbers as my brain only operates in RAW files.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  6. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Fuck so sorry, my Ex FNL carried around one of thoughs external bags. Horrible just horrible

7. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

@grumpyolddude good to see you again. Life in manufacturing here in Tulsa is not just good it's great. I know you're a musician, but parts of Detroit looked like the apocalypse. Is Detroit getting more money? Is life there better?

8. There are some rough areas and some areas of beautiful revival. Most posts I see are agenda driven. If one wants to paint a dire picture of any city, there are scenes to be found. If your message is one of renewal, you find and post some new construction. Detroit has emerged from state receivership and is making slow progress. The current mayor seems like a solid leader with an eye on enduring improvement, not flashy short-term solutions.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 5
  9. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Starting a new gig...

And it starts as usual...me being ready to go
    Them forgetting that I came in and they need to set me up.

Usually takes 2 weeks for places to get it all sorted out.
    But this place has been on the ball for most part, so far.

So a little lingering during the first some hours is no concern.
    Besides...this is a remote position...and the boss is in a different timezone.

I'm in warrior mode...and awaiting orders. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  10. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Like I said, these folks have their act together
    All set up
    Now it's being a sponge and try to get oriented.
    Hitting the ground running
    Nice thing is, they're relaxed in their meetings
    Good sign...at least on my team.
    But we'll see.
    (A shame I'm this cynical and wary)

11. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Got promoted.
    I am now a Vocational Rehabilitation Assistant II.
    From here it is pretty much just steps up.
    The III is the office manager and it would be years before I would want that freaking job (if ever).

• Like Like x 6
  12. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'm going to that place that @MeltedMetalGlob mentioned a few miles from me on Thursday when I'm off work. I think. If the weather is okay. If not, I've decided I'm just going to stand in the middle of Jefferson Street with my arms out and head back, yelling, "come at me, bro!" until I get a a mandatory 3 day vacation. Or maybe I'll just nap.
    I'm just really tired.
    And one of my cases goes to court in the morning. I'm either going to be famous or fucked. Or both.

• Like Like x 3
  13. MrMD069

MrMD069 Very Tilted Donor

Aaaaaaaaand, it's Tuesday. A little better than Monday but it ain't no Friday!

• Like Like x 2
  14. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

The conservatory would be more interesting for you, but your secondary plan would be more interesting for us. ;)

[​IMG]

But to be honest, go for the conservatory- there's no admission charge. :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Is there a charge for parking?
    And, Jefferson Street and I are well acquainted.

16. redux

redux Very Tilted

There was a giveaway of Kodiak Cakes Minute Muffins at DC Metro stations today.

[​IMG]

Add water, stir, microwave for 1 minute -> instant muffin. I had the blueberry and it was better than expected.

17. Good luck on the new position. I'd kill for a remote job right now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  18. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

@Japchae, parking should be free- there's a parking lot right next to the conservatory. You might get someone at the front desk asking for donations, but that's about it. :)

19. MrMD069

MrMD069 Very Tilted Donor

Almost there, it's 5 O'Clock somewhere, right? Just not here.......yet.

20. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Conservatory was warm and beautiful.

And, the hot water heaters are back on. Mix up on my end for that date. Luckily it was yoga this morning and not crossfit!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.