1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Do you often watch the sunrise?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Mar 8, 2017.

?

How often do you watch the sunrise?

1. Daily

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Weekly

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Sometimes

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Occasionally

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Not willingly

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I love waking up early. Littlegirly does, too. I love watching the sky change hue with her and laugh with her about the birds fighting over their feeder at dawn.

Tinygirly is my night owl. A great day for her does not start with bird watching at dawn. Rather, she prefers sleeping in, napping in the afternoon, and staying up late.

So are you an Early Bird or a Night Owl?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Definitely a Night Owl.

Despite that, as I've gotten older I've found that, on occasion, I wake up at 3-4AM and just simply can't go back to sleep. So occasionally, and not willingly, I'll be up for the sunrise. I usually don't sit out and watch it (don't have a great view anyway of the actual sunrise due to some large houses behind us).

However, there are a few occasions each year when I'm in the woods well before sun-up. There is a special thing about sitting silently, 15'-20' up in a tree, where almost none of the animals even realize you are there, and watching them wake up. I've seen turkeys roosting high in the trees, then gliding down to the ground to start foraging. I've watched squirrels crawl out of their nests and start rustling around for nuts, and scolding each other. Once I even saw a wolf trotting through the woods, and though he never saw me, the second he got to the path I had walked on 2 hours before he about jumped out of his skin and dashed the opposite way (and no, I wasn't hunting him). Watching the sunrise in the woods is always pretty something I appreciate, and sometimes you see things that are downright amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

My natural inclination seems to be toward going to bed late and sleeping in more; but I'm flexible. I've held jobs that require me to be on site for 7 AM and adjusted fairly well. I actually enjoy early mornings, I'm just not really wired for them it seems. Without any kind of external influence I seem to naturally drift towards going to bed around 1 AM and getting up at about 9.

That said, life with a newborn means going to bed whenever I can and getting as much sleep as possible. I'm honestly curious to see how life with a toddler will shake out. I get the feeling that she's going to be the deciding influence on my sleeping habits for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

When I worked at the distribution center, I got off work at 6 am. I absolutely loved watching the sun rise. Tuesday morning sunrises were especially delicious, as they meant I was done for the week.

I don't remember the last time I watched the sun come up. I really do love that time of morning, though...it starts off so quiet, with that bit of chill in the air, and then the world starts waking up, and everything feels fresh and hopeful. I'm not awake that early much anymore, but when I am, it feels like a special treat. (well, it feels like that after I've had some coffee, anyway :) )

• Like Like x 1
  5. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I worked for a while in Produce Delivery. I would drive a truck from a warehouse-like market and pick up pallets of produce to distribute to various co-ops. I started my day at 4:30am, so I always managed to snag a moment to enjoy the sunrise amidst my deliveries - even if I was hauling a 20lb box of apples at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I live on the west side of an 8600' mountain pass. I'd have to drive to see a sunrise, though I can watch sunsets over the continental divide and TV at the same time from my living room.

I'm generally up early enough to catch a sunrise, though it's just a glow through the trees with a hill in the way.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

I used to be a night owl and enjoyed sleeping past 10am. But i don't think I could stay in bed that long anymore.
    I started naturally waking up earlier and going to bed earlier, and then we got a puppy.
    A great dane puppy. In a small yard. Did i mention we live in the tropics? It's too hot to walk her in the afternoon so we started walking each morning at 5am.
    This was a great idea a few months ago but now winter is coming and it's dark until 5:30ish.

So getting to my point,
    I see the sunrise whenever i walk my dog. Which is usually 3-4 times a week between mon-fri. Weekends are for the beach.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am often up before dawn (almost daily) but I can't see the horizon, so I don't get to see the actual sunrise.

Like Taliesin, it's a lot cooler in the early hours, so if I am riding my bike, or going for a run, I much prefer to be doing so in the pre-dawn hours.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

6 days out of the week I am a week before the sun comes up. On the one day that I do not have to work a lot of times I am a week before it comes up anyway. My favorite thing to do when I am home is just sit on the front porch and watch it rise. When I am at work a lot of times I am able to see it when I'm just chilling and drinking coffee

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

It's a wonderful sight

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

11. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm more likely to watch the sunset than sunrise...
    but if it's that time of year while I'm walking the dog, sure. (but I prefer to sleep in as long as possible...it's getting easier & earlier as I get older)

But I sometimes see it when I've gone out really early before the dawn to see an astronomical event. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

Since my job requires me to up before the dawn, I tend to be around when the sun rises. (But I like both sunrises and sunsets.)

Also, this thread needs a pic:
    [​IMG]

The view from work, :cool:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

In the winter, sunrise is at 9:30, 10:00, so I get to watch it from my desk at work.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rooster New Member

Normally once a week. I work away from home most of the week and stay away, so the day I travel up I normally see the sun come up. Sometimes I go night fishing and stay at it till dawn... that's a bit more romantic than seeing daybreak driving passed some motorways services...

15. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Sunrises are gorgeous, don't see enough of them. The place I see the most of them is at our Ontario cottage though the early-morning fog and surrounding highlands mean that I see the patterns of light more than the actual sun itself. I see sunsets all the time here in Arizona. They too, are spectacular.

16. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I see the sunrise most days. Even in the summer, I'm up pretty early.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I don't exactly watch the sunrise, but see them Monday through Friday because I'm up with MW at 4:50am, she leaves at around 5:30.

• Like Like x 1
  18. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I'm up 6 days a week before Sunrise, however enjoying it is seldom.

19. hiredgun01

hiredgun01 New Member

I wish I was the sort of person who routinely woke up early enough to watch the sun rise. Instead, I'm the sort of person who, without planning to do so, routinely sees the sun come up before actually going to bed.

• Like Like x 2
  20. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Couple times a month. Just watched it a few minutes back through the clouds.