1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Post about your worst workplace experiences.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MeltedMetalGlob, Nov 23, 2013.

1. afragilesheep

afragilesheep New Member

I'll list mine but it doesn't reach the same level as many of these stories.

I got hired at a factory making engines. Everything was okay until I was given a switch to 3rd shift or get laid off ultimatum. The 3rd shift people had a game that involved throwing thin metal discs with sharp edges at each other across the entire production line. I got hit and cut more than once with these discs. When I complained to the foreman, he told me to deal with it and that they just do it to have fun. I assumed that would be his reaction since the workers weren't trying to hide what they were doing. I told HR about it, switched to being laid off and found a new job.

The plant closed a few years later.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

I'm not sure I understand the mindset of our tenants; you have an issue (or two) that needs fixing and you refuse permission to enter your apartment so we can make repairs.

Why then, did you bother to call attention to your issues? Did you just want to complain?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Now's a good one...
    Boss pissed me off saying that I wasn't working hard enough...when I was working my ass off all week.
    Then he had the audacity to say I was "conning him".

NO ONE questions my integrity. :mad:
    He's lucky I didn't walk that day.
    But he's lost already...the big city has lots of options...and I'm considering them now.

Fuckin' IT...any day, any moment, it's "What have you done for me lately??"
    Computers are all magic...and too many mgrs and clients have unrealistic expectations. (much less an idea what you're doing)

I have yet to get that "psychic" certification. :rolleyes:
    Do ya REALLY want me to know what you're thinking??
    Just fuckin' tell me, nicely. (no hammer needed for this machine)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I worked as a machine operator, much of it on third shift. The big thing, among many other "pranks," was to take long wooden cotton tip cleaners (think Q-Tip with one end), wet the cotton, then shoot it at people using air guns with long nozzles. Real fucking funny, guys.

5. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I do not think this falls under "worst" but certainly under "memorable"
    Working in mainspaces in the Persian Gulf where the sea water injection temp was 97 degrees and the actual space temp hit 140+ degrees. The assigned space personnel were on ten minutes rotations but we were in the oil lab that covered all of the mainspaces and ignored those limits. (much like I ignored hearing protection. what's that? you need to speak up. there are days) The fascinating thing with that environment is how your sweat stains form a 'T' on your coveralls where your shoulder blades and spine meet. And we are just talking one shift spending too long in the space for the temp
    The water was much nicer in the North Atlantic where the spaces where nice and cool even with all of the equipment going
    --- merged: Jul 23, 2015 at 8:21 PM ---
    Just went through this thread again and a reference to human waste reminded me.....(not my experience, heard about this quickly enough as it was in engineering as well)
    One of the spaces we covered in the Oil Lab with our extensive fuel transfer system was a machinery room for one of the elevators I believe. I think it was on the port side but not sure anymore. There was a CHT spill down there one time after a pipe broke (that would be fecal matter in nice civy terms) and a Hull Tech ended up in said material over waist deep if not deeper. He understandably needed some serious shots from what I heard.
    --- merged: Jul 23, 2015 at 8:24 PM ---
    and one more......(definitely 'worst' by any definition)
    A contractor was working on a scissor lift or something those lines while we were in home port. They were on one of the aircraft elevators while it was down in the hanger bay (see previous merged post referring to machinery room for said elevator) when it somehow moved. Never heard how or why it happened but I did see the crushed lift that was still there after they removed the body.
    --- merged: Jul 23, 2015 at 8:28 PM ---
    ...or the pilot we seemed to lose every 6 months. One of them ejected at a low altitude and shot across the flight deck at high speed. That must have been a nasty cleanup .

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  6. rogue49

Followup...I had a meeting with the Program Mgr today (and earlier with the Tech Director)rom
    Tech Director...went from throwing me under the bus, in a pissy snit...to being nicey-nice and asking for me to fix several things. (turns out I was right on the code, it was fucked up and the other devs were confused, with bad specs to add to it)
    The the Program Mgr...apologized...and backed off his shit...then told me he asked around and said he confirm my code is high quality and then some.
    Then he excepted my proposed role for turning perm (Sr. Functional Area Expert & Configuration Mgr) ...say that he'd push it forward for approval from the client and corp execs.

Yes, it's a melodrama about code, computers, and roles...but it's the silly world I live in.
    But at least they know my shit is good...and are trying to make amends.
    I'm still reconsidering my options and keep my eyes open for other opportunities.
    Why?
    Because they've shown their true colors, how fast they throw you down...and there's a pattern of dysfunction.
    So there's something to consider.
    Me, I just want a stable & sane place to get a steady paycheck, pay my bills and obligations...while continuing school and playing the dating game. Simple.
    I've worked too hard to get where I am...and this was supposed to be a less stressed job...no need for being on the cutting edge, technically & politically.
    Nope, not what I want.
    What they don't realize...is as much they were "evaluating" me before I went perm...I was evaluating them.
    There are too many options in the big city that I can consider...and right now, I'm getting pinged a lot.

We'll see...I'm not going to jump unless I have to...and only jump to something that satisfies my own agenda.
    Sorry, when you work with Sr. capable people...you have to treat them decent. (I don't need an office...I don't even need tons of pay or perks. I just want stability and a bit of respect - KISS)

Why can't people just be fine & fair??
    Why the pettiness and ego??
    Isn't the world complicated enough as it is?

• Like Like x 2
  7. partymix New Member

I was supposed to be warehouse help, but they put me on the retail floor. The dept. manager then lead me around housewares explaining what to do(face off the shelves) as he did what I was supposed to do. When he was finished(the whole dept.)... so was I.

8. MeltedMetalGlob

The management had me install a triple set of locks on a clients' bathroom, which involved an intricate procedure using both hands to unlock & open the doors.A bit unnecessary, I thought- it's only a bathroom and not a VAULT.

Anyway, about a week later I have to go and uninstall the locks, because a little kid crapped himself trying to get in, and a one-handed man could not get out of the bathroom.

I'm not entirely sure if they were serious... I think they were.

In any case, this pic is relevant:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. Chris Noyb

And to think I get pissed off at the places that make me ask for the phuqing key.

10. MeltedMetalGlob

It gets irksome when tenants start to use their own terminology for things, instead of just making a general service call-in. Someone reported a clogged drain, so we had to enlist the services of a third-party who had heavy-duty equipment.

I arrived at the building a bit earlier to take care of an unrelated issue, and while I was there the tenant asked if I could look at the toilet. All it needed was a new chain, so I repaired it and asked the tenant where the clogged drain was, because the plumber was on his way soon.

It turns out the toilet was the "clogged drain."

The moral of the story is that you should never assume the tenant has a clue what they're talking about.

It may someday get to this point:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Chris Noyb

You should deal with my mother. Anytime she needs help with something--most especially in the yard--there's a 91% possibility it's going to be much larger job than she says (doesn't say is more accurate).

Just one example (OK, to be fair, it's an extreme example):
    "Chris, can you come down and help me with some plants when you get the time?"
    "Sure. Tomorrow afternoon is good for me."
    "Oh good, I'll see you then."

So I show up expecting to deal with a few "plants." The "plants" turn out to be eight bushes needing planting. Each bush requires a hole about two feet deep and two feet wide. Of course I'm not dressed for and don't have the tools for what turns out to be a phuqing landscaping project.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MeltedMetalGlob

Some of our tenants are the laziest, I swear!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I scrapped 20,000.00$ in parts at work.
    Totally my fault, only 2 parts. Work I have done way too many times. Seemed so easy, the path was clear and I had the right tools. I chose a different method of my own, to expedite the parts in half time.
    I fucked that shit up bad actually trying to do a better job. I knew better, now my name is on the GMs desk, a target on my back and am receiving a little avoidance. I have saved and produced over a million dollars in the last ten years, hopefully that means something to our new management.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rogue49

I'm actually blessed at this current job...so far.
    Surprisingly so.
    I've been so many bad situations over the years. it blurs together.

The only thing that is annoying me...
    Is that they're too lenient on obviously incompetent staffers (one, so far)
    and blatantly toxic ones (one, so far)

I like being kind and fair...but there's carrying it too far too.
    We ARE a business and people ARE being paid a decent amount to be professionals.

• Like Like x 1
  15. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Good news on my last post! We were able to return the parts back to the engineers original orders
    Another machinist made a jig and we were able to size the part features to scale and on location. So glad that albatross is off my neck.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Really glad to hear that.
    Was worried for you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Thank you @redravin, and everyone!
    Must be hard to find a manual machinist. Or someone likes me. Either way WHOOOOH!

• Like Like x 3
  18. MeltedMetalGlob

Some purely rhetorical questions for those companies out there that are hiring:

1. If you filled the position a while ago, why are you still running the fucking ad for it?

2. If you've been running the ad for months now, maybe you ought to start interviewing for it? If you could get on by without the extra manpower, then you wouldn't need to waste your time trying to hire people, would you?

3. If you contact me via phone and tell me you'd like to set up a face-to-face interview, did the fact that I told you I was looking for a career and not just a job turn you off? And that's why you didn't call back?

[​IMG]

It's a wonder anyone gets hired these days. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. MeltedMetalGlob

I did manage to start a new job about six weeks ago; it's very demanding- about 50 hours a week, manual labor- and it does take away much of my free time, but at least there's potential for a better career at this place.

Also, this:
    [​IMG]
    (I love prequel memes.) ;)

• Like Like x 3
  20. GhoastGirl2.0

GhoastGirl2.0 Getting Tilted

Hmmm recently...the Sandler sales model. I loathe that stupid submarine. Walked out after four weeks of hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk