1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Probably time to pick up a new wireless router.

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Borla, Jun 23, 2015.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

The cost of 6 vs 5 was little, but the plan is that this wiring is going to be there for 20+ years.

2. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

In my case, I had half a spool of free cat6 left over from a project. It would have been cat5e if I was buying.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I bought an Apple Time Capsule combo hard disk (for backup) and router. It replaced my 6 year old Time Capsule (that I knocked off an 8 foot high shelf onto a concrete floor):( and the wifi is both noticeably faster and longer range than the old one.

It serves a PC, 2 Macs, and a printer wired directly, and a couple of laptops and other wifi devices as well. It has good range, including the garage, patio, and the shed in the back yard.

The 2 TB model cost a little under $300 a couple of months ago, was easy to set up even in the mixed environment, and once set up, it backs up everything without me even thinking about it.

You do have a backup system, right @Borla?;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I do have an external drive back-up for some thing, a cloud back-up for others, and both for a few.

• Like Like x 1