1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Proof of Creationism?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Tully Mars, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

In Louisiana schools, ‘Nessie’ is real, evolution is myth | Hot Topics | an SFGate.com blog

I think it's official the US is devolving. Apparently they're also teaching the positive side of the history of the KKK as well.

2. Um... no offense to anyone here, but, I'm going to voice an opinion:

Louisiana (where my brother lives, both of us originally being from California)... Louisiana, and the deep south states of the US are absolutely-100%-freaking-nuts.

Drive down Airline Blvd... North or south, or, to hell with that, anywhere in Shreveport, LA, and you will see church after church after church after church after church...
    And you wonder how they support themselves... there aren't that many residents there.

Friends of my brother & sister-in-law...
    They (my family's friends) used to hate the place. He (husband) now hates the place. She's turned crazy-Baptist-nut-job... repeating everything she's fed. He (husband) is thinking about divorcing his wife... both originally from S. American Roman Catholic backgrounds. That's how crazy nuts Louisiana is... they'll turn worldly people into BACK WOODS THINKERS.

My brother and I have had many, in-depth conversations on the matter... starting with me asking: "Since you're back in school and all, can you tell me, are the people here really as dim and dumb as they seem?" His reply was this: "Education is not big in the south." (More or less, yes...)

We discussed Southern Hospitality. We both agree that it's alive & well, BUT...
    You are almost 100% guaranteed to be talked trash on and stabbed in the back the moment you're out of earshot... it's all about gossip.
    So, you go to services on Sunday, you get out, you gossip with everyone, and you retire back to your place with a few friends from church, and talk-shitty-ass-trash on people you were just smiling and being friendly to... after you get out of / got out of services... where supposedly you go not only for the "good impression"... but also because this nature of a person is being a "Good Christian."

There's a whole other side of this I've discussed...
    Educational arguments aside... people there don't like intelligence, at all. You are 100% guaranteed to be talked trash on if you show any level of intelligence higher than the (lower-than) average there. You will be outcast, people will not want to talk to or even be friendly to you beyond an obviously fake smile, if every-other-word out of your mouth is not "God-this," "God-that."

The people in Louisiana, outside of Baton Rouge and New Orleans (most of that city is scum, BTW) have very, very small & narrow minds. Not very worldly, and the place suffers like many small towns across the US, losing anybody with half a brain, to more cultured areas of the United States (but rarely abroad -- they're still limited in capacity). The only people that would like a place like Shreveport, LA, are those that live in outlying areas and don't have or don't know much about really big cities... any place larger, outside of that small-minded deep-south comfort zone likely comes across as culture shock, and they end-up moving home (or becoming NYC hookers or the likes, no shit, shame, you never return home).

People, like my brother and sister-in-law, and their friends (before she turned parrot-Baptist), move in, and, subsequently MOVE OUT. It's pretty much that unbearable, at least in Shreveport.

I could find myself living in New Orleans... I've found I'm not subject to the 3-day rule (most people get sick of the limited French Quarter after about 3 days)... but I probably couldn't live there for more than 5 years, max, out of my whole life (there's really not much to do).

Last but not least, one thing, that, though still reinforcing the negative, is actually a bit of a positive about the people...
    They don't like you repeating something they've said, trying to "clarify" a stark difference in something they're saying now, versus something they've said before. You can have them on video or audio tape, play it back to them (such as in a court room), and they'll DENY IT VEHEMENTLY. My brother equates this to the following: They don't think or live with their heads... they have big hearts though... they think, feel, and live by the heart, and the moment.

Often enough, this is the curse of more intelligent people to be more rational (e.g. in the vein of human suppression of instincts & natural animal reactions), and step back and think about things... not people in the south... they live by the heart, and by the moment. I, personally, think this is one positive aspect, that I know I don't embody as a person, but would be a positive trait to have or aspire to...

Again, apologies to anyone in any way offended by this... it comes out of years of observation. I hate the general population in Shreveport, LA. (But, let me be more particular... I tend to like BLACK PEOPLE in Louisiana, than the mostly white-trash-scum that inhabit the place... I think BLACK PEOPLE in Louisiana, now, are much, much more intelligent than the average white population there... but this is just my impression & opinion; you got ghetto-trash everywhere you go, too, though... )

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

This has to be some form of child abuse.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kramus

kramus what I might see

Evolution works with populations. Individuals are irrelevant (unless there crops up a group of individuals who release a game-changer such as self-replicating nano-bots, a sustainable black-hole released into the earths core, fantasy of that ilk). That Darwinian fact is repeatable - evolution deals with populations, not with whatever group is caught up in surges of silliness over religious affiliation or geographic origin.

The actions of bible thumpers, or Islamic fundamentalists, or any of the multitudes of ideologically blinkered groups we as a race throw up will in the long run be as relevant to humanity as the long-forgotten disputes and ideologies of the builders of Stonehenge are to us today. The idiocy of any group of people who put faith ahead of knowledge and understanding is an unpleasant and inescapable idiosyncrasy of humanity. This idiocy is not anything we can solve though debate or rational interaction. All we can do is try to survive it. Be the ones that reproduce successfully. Do not be among those who slaughter each other in bloody, bizarre disagreements about doctrine and faith.

It is a given that you have to program religion and control the minds of people who are thusly programmed. Scientific knowledge can be independently verified and tested, questioned and requestioned. Religion cannot stand up to such testing. Which means that eventually the beliefs will fade away and be forgotten, replaced, evolution of beliefs that leave obscure fossils (Stonehenge is one such fossil) behind. The Louisiana Creationists will pollute minds for a few generations but eventually that story-book crap they peddle will wash out of the belief system, to be replaced with another upwelling of religious froufraw. The verifiable, testable, readily repeated scientific knowledge that is for now being denied by some citizens of Louisiana will not go away. Which makes me smile, actually. Evolution in action.

biblenoah.jpg

jesus rides a dinosaur.jpg

religion is like a penis.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

As Mr. Gump says, "Stupid is as stupid does"

7. Baraka_Guru

Not to mention that this is a prime example of why we should defund religious schools. If they want to teach their children based on their faith, then they should do it completely on their dime, not with any of the public's.

It's frustrating to know that tax dollars go towards this sort of thing. They teach myth as fact and fact as myth, yet there are too many young people who get through high school barely knowing how to read. Too many of them couldn't string together a proper sentence to save their grandmothers.

But, hey, the Bible is the "Good Book," and the Lord Jesus is the Saviour.

What do we need all those big wordy thinkin' thinkers for, right? All they do is relay Satan's lies about the Bible and God's universe.

Education should not include indoctrination, and here we have indoctrination as education.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I remember my first biology course after leaving the military. I'd decided rather quickly that I needed a degree and without much planning enrolled in college. Poor planning on my part left me sitting in a biology class at 0800 after working until nearly 0300. The instructor gave a little speech about what we'd be learning and then asked if there were any questions. I must have been in "haze" mode as I really don't recall what lead to the first question but it was from a 20 something lady who asked "if that's true then explain why men and women do not have the same number of ribs?" I remember thinking "what?" The instructor, some what amazed, replied "men and women have the same number of ribs." The next few minutes amount to a back and forth of "do not" "do so", "you're wrong" and "no, you're wrong." Finally the instructor said "look I can bring in some x-rays for the next class and you can see for yourself."

About two days later I heard the young lady telling the instructor after a lot of thought and talking it over with her family pastor she's was going to drop the class. I never saw her again.

I hope she's not home schooling her children but I wouldn't bet against it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baraka_Guru

Wow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

11. Yeah, WTF.

12. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Following that expression of anatomical ignorance - why don't they wonder why women have more than one?"
    --- merged: Jun 26, 2012 at 9:57 PM ---

[​IMG]

I'm not usually a proponent of extreme or violent measures but for fucks sake, enough is enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Baraka_Guru

I think it all comes down to their belief that we're all inbred. Even the animals!

Though I'd like to hear the explanation of how Noah managed to cram the 9,000 to 10,000 bird species (in pairs, no less) on the ark, let alone all the other animals. I mean, how much space would he need to house up to 20,000 birds for over a year...?

This guy used 4,300 square feet to do it, but they were all chicks and that shit burned to the ground.

Also, by my conservative estimate, Noah would have had to have well over 800 tons of food just for the birds.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  14. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I would suspect all your questions can be answered with the magical "God's hand ensured the space and food would be bountiful."

15. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

One of the more interesting refutations of the flood I read recently compared the historical records of the Egypt against Ussher's chronology - Pyramids of the 6th dynasty were built in the 150 years or so immediately following the flood. So in order to believe the flood you'd have to believe that not only for some reason Noah's descendants resumed building pyramids and writing the same manner as Egyptians, all while Egyptian writings fail to mention the flood at all, but that the first 6-7 generations of those 8 people's descendants managed to build a handful of pyramids in those first 150 years.

16. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

I think the claims both by evolutionists and creationists that the ark somehow had 10,000 bird species is absurd. I think it's more likely that a few species of birds produced the 10,000 species we have today. I think this make much more sense and you can see it in certain animals today.

17. Baraka_Guru

Creationists would sooner accept 10,000 bird species being on the ark than they would the idea that a few species of birds produced the species we have today.

Creationists are generally hostile towards the evolutionary concept of speciation. They either deny it occurs or they think it occurs very rarely. Many will explain that the number of species is a result of the special creative powers of God, and that every species was made at the time of creation.

Evolutionists, on the other hand, would think absurd the idea of rapid speciation occurring such that "a few" species of birds can amount to 10,000 species in under 5,000 years. (They date the evolution of modern bird species as far back as 65 million years ago—13,000 times older than the Biblical record of Noah's ark.)

Do you realize just how different bird species can be from one another?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  18. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

yeah i just think creationists are missing the boat :D trying to explain tens of thousands of species on a vessle that is about 450' x 75'. also the difficulty of 8 people to take care of that many animals is impossible. i think it would be better explained by speciation to make the bible account fit with logic.

19. Baraka_Guru

The problem with religious mythologies is that you can't rewrite them and you can't protect them from aging. A thousand years ago, if you tried to refute the Bible with what we know today, people would have thought you were bewitched and would probably burn you at the stake. If you were lucky, you'd instead be suspected of being possessed by demons, and you would be exorcized.

Knowledge and myth are at odds with one another. Myths are created to help explain the unexplainable. When the unexplainable becomes explainable, there is often a mismatch between that knowledge and the original story. It shouldn't be surprising unless you base your understanding of reality entirely on such stories (and you're a bigot/zealot).

Creationism, creation science, and creation education are simply forms of Christian fundamentalism. They are in the same vein as other forms of fundamentalism (albeit less damaging/dangerous). Consider the Taliban and what they did in Afghanistan. This is merely an extreme form of the same thing.

Enlightenment, knowledge, education, and free thinking are major threats to fundamentalists, and so they try to institutionalize and otherwise legitimize mythology. Two of the best things we can do in response to that is 1) offer alternatives, and 2) ensure people's rights to choose aren't impeded by overpowering bigots.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

My toes just curled.