1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

PS4 or XBox one

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Strange Famous, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Which would you buy?

My history of games machines is:

Sinclair Spectrum +2
    Commodore 64
    Amiga 500
    Playstation
    Playstation 2
    XBox 360

_

But I dont have much of a loyalty to any brand. I guess by and large they have the same games (although you might get some a bit sooner on one or other console) - but which one is just best in your opinion?

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I had both a PS3 and an Xbox 360. I used the PS3 10x more often. Based on that previous generation experience is probably my lean towards a PS4. However, if you have a lot of Windows media or cloud stuff it might be worth looking at the Xbox One due to the Microsoft tie in.

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

If SF has a device that does UPnP or uses something like BubbleUPnP, the Windows tie-in is pretty irrelevant. I say this as someone with my laptop set up to stream to my Xbox 360--I use my UPnP on my Galaxy S4 far more to stream stuff to the Xbox than I use the Windows Media.

I'm not really tempted by either, but I'm a largely PC gamer who would rather have a Wii U for Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart, and I find my Xbox 360 still does everything I want it to do. Until we get a better television, there is no reason to upgrade our console.

4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

If I was going to upgrade it would be to a PS4.
    But...I just bought a PS3 not that long ago, and if I follow my typical pattern will be due for a PS4 when the PS5 has been out for at least 6 months if not a year.
    The PS3 has seen more time ignored on the shelf or packed in the original box lately than actually turned on.
    edit: My biggest problem with the Xbox world is the horrid interface. I hate that look on Windows 8.x, and did not like it anymore the few times I have seen an Xbox.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

My sister (whose entire family consists of hardcore gamers) works in gaming retail, and she refuses to ever buy Xbox. Xbox has had terrible, persistent hardware issues in the past, but she finds that people tend to enjoy the PS experience more.

As for me, I've been pleased with the PS3 and wouldn't hesitate to choose the PS4 over the Xbox, especially considering the slight advantage hardware-wise of the former.

6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I have a PS3 and a Wii U currently. I'm planning on picking up a PS4 when the game library is a little more fleshed out. Probably going to be soon. I'm not overly interested in an XBox One. It's not really a brand thing; the XBox doesn't have any games that really appeal to me.

7. thename New Member

That only thing I really love in Xbox it´s the gamepad. Other than that, PS4 all the way.

8. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

If you don't care about exclusives, then it largely doesn't matter. Historically, Microsoft makes crappy hardware (though I'm not sure if this is still true, the Xbox One seems to be working well so far, and their Surface Pros are pretty solid) and Sony, between their lack of security (still relevant) and willingness to install spyware on your computer without your knowledge (maybe not still relevant), isn't to be trusted with private information.

Some PS4 games look slightly better than their Xbox One counterparts, some don't, but the games on both consoles look like filthy turds compared to their PC counterparts.

9. Speed_Gibson

No clue what fancy upgrades the PS4 has, but I am thrilled with what the PS3 offers in graphics and games. GTA V alone was worth it for me.
    It was quite the upgrade from the Gamecube and Original PS 1 that both got limited use.

10. omega

omega Very Tilted

I'll stick with my Xbox 360 and xbone, thank you very much. I don't see any compelling reasons to switch to a playstation. And I have a ps3 as well. It just never gets used. As far as pc games, you will hear their fans trot out the same tired trope about better hardware. We'll everything looks good when you are hunched up against a 23 inch monitor. And you upgrade your graphics, memory, hard drive, cooling fans, everything, every six months. Console hardware doesn't change. So I have a long enjoyable play life with no need to constantly upgrade. More dollars for entertainment. And it's on a 46 inch tv. With a pair of paradigm studio 20s and a klipsch 12 inch sub to knock out some serious sound. While I sit on a couch.

11. Speed_Gibson

My pc hardware is a dual core 2.7 ghz from 2009 on the fast side an a slower dual 2.01 laptop with a dying video card. They both are slooow for picture/photo editing work that is more than a hobby now and any of the recent games just take one look and give a "are you serious look?".
    My ps3 does a solid job playing hi-def graphics with dedicated hardware. I still much prefer the keyboard/mouse combo over the much more awkward controller, bur there is no contest which does a better job for gaming in my case.
    For that matter, if I had the money right now I would be upgrading both of my systems to Apple running System (whatever they call it now, that name sticks in my head better) and Ubuntu in a dualboot.