1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Puerto Rico's Hell

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rogue49, Sep 24, 2017.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

2. Joelski

Joelski Vertical

Believe that all you want. Fake news melts babies for whatever cause they choose to serve. Years of neglected infrastructure and poor management. Yeah, hang that on Trump too. It's so much easier to blame a scapegoat than it is to grow a set and work toward a common goal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

NO, they have already determined that our effort has been even less so than Haiti.
    Haiti is a whole other independent country, we were doing them a "favor"
    ...Puerto Rico is OUR responsibility...it IS a US territory and most people there ARE American citizens. (3.4 million+)

Yes, the mismanagement and rotting infrastructure added to PR's woes...and added to the potential damage.
    However, Trump DID initially refuse to lift shipping blocks for rescue/assistance to get there (it IS an island, btw)
    And his administration HAS languished in kicking in emergency efforts to help AMERICANS in need.

Trump Administration Is Pressed to Step Up Hurricane Recovery in Puerto Rico

This is NOT fake news or opinion...this is a FACT, period...no ifs and buts. (at least as much as you may put your faith in the New York Times..but it IS fairly well established and known for "details")

Now, if you're only trolling me...this is a moot point...
    but it's nice to inform the other members of the board...so thank you. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. redux

redux Very Tilted

Yes, the infrastructure has contributed to the challenge in both rescue and recovery, but that does not excuse the delays in the initial federal response or having the necessary resources, logistics and personnel in place on the ground .

And certainly does not represent a response for which the Trump administration should be "very satisfied" or present to the public as a "good news story."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Joelski

Joelski Vertical

The failing New York Times never misses an opportunity to paint Trump in the worst possible light, facts be damned. Just never mind the fact that the mainland just suffered up to 100 Bn in hits thanks to Hugo and Irma. There is not an infinite well from which cash and people flow, it takes time to reroute and resouces and triage emergencies. DHS and the military can only do so much.

I'm no Trump apologist; but he gets shit done, when the obstructors step aside. He also calls people on their B.S. REGARDLESS of their skin color. If you're keeping track at home, he's immolated plenty of his own cabinet, or swamp dwellers for not doing their jobs.

6. redux

redux Very Tilted

Again, much of the circumstances in Puerto Rico after two hurricanes was beyond anyone's control, but still there is nothing to suggest that the Trump administration was properly prepared with resources,logistics or personnel after the first and in advance of the second.

Beyond hurricane response, I am curious what other shit Trump has gotten done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rogue49

I will state that YES we do have a bottomless wealth hole.
    The US is a large rich nation
    More so than any other in the world.
    We have the ability to issue bonds to repay debt
    And the US bonds are one of the solid and valued in the world
    Even other nations buy them, even our enemies and competitors

We pay for our mistakes, like the Great Recession
    We pay for full wars, big and small (look at the debt stats for WWII)
    We pay for our current debt and overspending
    We pay for our defense/military/intelligence/police THE largest in the world (bigger than the next 15 combined)
    We have paid off everything
    We're known for it.
    The world bets on it.
    Maybe even foolishly expects it

So, I don't think we can use the excuse of "paying for it" @Joelski

This IS an emergency
    American lives are at stake
    This IS a security concern because it leaves us distracted and vulnerable
    And so on...

I worked for FEMA (right after Katrina)
    The nation is set up in 13 regions
    And there are contingencies for everything
    Including huge regions of the US and its territories and assets
    Being destroyed and/or severely damaged.
    This IS a fact.
    First hand knowledge from myself (whether you want to believe me or not is moot)

The failure is in the execution
    And the Executive office is in charge of that (fact)
    And the buck stops at the top
    Trump, the president of the US

Shit happens
    He has to take care of the shit
    That's his job
    That's what he volunteered for
    That's what he bragged about

So no excuse.
    It's HIS baggage
    And THAT is being president of the US
    Protecting Americans
    Including...after acts of God

8. Joelski

Joelski Vertical

Ask the opposition party. It takes cooperation.

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

Republicans control the White House and both houses of Congress so, while cooperation may be preferred, it is not required.

Ask Obama, who had eight years of no cooperation or obstruction from the opposition.

In Trump's first eight months in office, I cant think of any "shit he got done" or anything significant he has accomplished.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

At this point Trump could have boots on the ground that completely fix their infrastructure, if he wanted to.
    There are military hospital ships, ships loaded with helicopters and other equipment, and plain man power, that could have been there yesterday, if he had cared.
    But he doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Excluding the minority party from discussion and input, then criticizing them for a lack of cooperation is pretty much the height of hypocrisy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

He's tweeted a lot.

AHHAHAHAHHA it does? There are things that can be done unilaterally in time of crisis.

I saw something comparing Trump to Hillary that Trump got FEMA and aid to Puerto Rico and waived the Jones Act and Hillary sent a tweet.
    I wish I could find it but I don't want to scroll through FaceySpace to find it.

But here's her tweet, and yes the president can unilaterally send the Navy to assist if needed without cooperation from the opposition.

View: https://twitter.com/thehill/status/912125775666647040

• Like Like x 3
  13. cynthetiq

found it easily, but first he had to talk about the NFL and the anthem and kneeling.

AND then he finally address the situation in Puerto Rico.
    [​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

14. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

He finally sends the Mercy.
    WTF wasn't it heading out the first day?

'Close to genocide': San Juan mayor's dire appeal to US for Puerto Rico relief

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. cynthetiq

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. redux

redux Very Tilted

A Trump primer on explaining what an island is....."This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.”

• Like Like x 1
  17. cynthetiq

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. cynthetiq

In Puerto Rico, Containers Full Of Goods Sit Undistributed At Ports
    it's always the last mile that is the hardest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. cynthetiq

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. rogue49

Trump attacks mayor of San Juan, ratcheting up tensions over crisis in Puerto Rico

He ATTACKS the mayor of San Juan in the middle of a life & death crisis??? :mad:

The only thing this guy hasn't done it have someone murdered (*than we know of...hey, didn't they imply that of the Clintons?? what comes around goes around... :rolleyes:)
    And start a war (TRY not to do that, PLEASE)

Not that I mind certain wars and projection of power
    But he'd muck that up too.

Simply crass and incompetent.
    Try helping people who are suffering
    It's not "liberal", it's human.
    BTW...they pay taxes too.

• Like Like x 1