1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Puerto Rico's Hell

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rogue49, Sep 24, 2017.

1. DY157

DY157 New Member

As of today the island is about 50% with electricity. Boil water advisory still in effect.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tomoe2

Tomoe2 New Member

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rogue49

No one is less American
    It’s just that many think others don’t count
    I’ve seen it coming from all sides to all sides

Problem is those on top, no matter what they are
    Think they count and others don’t
    I see this here, I see this in other countries, no matter the location or culture

Here, the problem is those on top don’t think PR counts in comparison to the standard US states
    It’s a territory and an island
    And most, including dumb shits in the government,
    are selfish narrow minded and only concerned with votes and influence
    This is their mindset.

I remember being inside the government and hearing/seeing a whole segment of society not get funds or attention just because someone of influence said they didn't “count”

We just got to figure out how to get them to count
    To pay attention, to get votes
    Then they’ll count
    All Americans count
    We just need to get the ones at the top to care. (Whatever their background)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

The local news did an update on PR.
    The work has all but stopped. What a shame.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
  9. DY157

DY157 New Member

Ok it’s not all trump and directives not to help PR. Although there was a definite emphasis on response to Harvey in Houston and even Irma in FL. As a priority over PR. But... Part of the struggle with helping PR is their antiquated system of land and title work. And federal or US property/real estate attorneys who are trying to help face resistance from the Puerto Rican notaries. Despite it being a great deal, don’t buy a beach house in PR because the real property laws there are crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. redux

redux Very Tilted

As a Commonwealth of the US, Puerto Rico does not have all that much local autonomy in regard to the response and recovery effort. The infrastructure, the financial system and other key components of government/financial services are effectively the responsibility of the US government.

Puerto Rico Government
    Puerto Ricans are US citizens but treated by the current administration as second class citizens.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rogue49

And a sad update...and finally no spin or obscurity from those who are "supposed to" protect us.
    Yes, even PR, they ARE citizens.
    Hurricane's death toll in Puerto Rico put at nearly 3,000

While Trump may not be murdering people directly, his neglect and arrogance IS allowing many to be killed and suffer.
    Which is worse? Direct slaughter of one or a few...or mass deaths by foul intent? (Both are ethically questionable and certainly shouldn't happen...but the volume of the latter is significant)

Of course, Trump isn't the first to do so...nor will be the last.
    But that still doesn't make it right...does it?
    Especially if these people ARE American. (which IS his responsibility to care for) ** not precluding other nations' well-being or people, it's just his duty for his job. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I really want to visit Puerto Rico now.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The US let PR act mostly like an independent (2nd world) nation for decades. Now the resulting nepotism, cronyism, corruption, etc. has been exposed.

There have been several reports on how the electric company, a monopoly, basically ran off with the profits without any plans for improvements and emergencies.

14. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Oh man, that's terrible.

15. Joelski

Joelski Vertical

Not sticking up for Trump, because as an outsider, he has glaring inadequacies, BUT....

Wouldn't it be nice is the people who would normally be tasked with dealing with these things (All facets, not just emergency response) could operate, or at least (offer to) with some degree of autonomy? In my world, that's called doing your fucking job. Yes, some things require high-level activation, but that's the function of a cabinet; to give guidance as no one person can do everything well if at all. Oh wait, there's still God knows how many people awaiting appointment to the president's cabinet because our government isn't doing its job. You'd think the people who oppose this president would at least want the people to be taken care of, but apparently that doesn't align with opposition. There is an element at work that cares nothing for you or I, and could pull a hair for the people of PR, simply to see the bad press for the president. If the resistance element would get out of the way, the guy might still do a shitty j0b, but at least it'd be his fault, and that of his cabinet.

16. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

This report is from January so I don't know if they have taken care of this but at that point 45 didn't even have nominees for 245 crucial positions and there as many jobs that have 'acting directors and managers' but they don't have the official positions.
    This isn't the fault of anyone but 45 or the people he has put in charge of figuring out who to appoint.
    There are some people who suggest this is intentional, that it is a way of cutting into the government, making it more ineffectual without drawing attention to the fact you are doing it.
    I really don't know if I can give 45 that much credit.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joelski

Joelski Vertical

Like I said, people don't matter as long as the agenda moves forward.

18. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Trump praises Puerto Rico response as "unsung success" in Hurricane Florence briefing - CBS News

Is TRump really this delusional?

Is he knowingly grasping at straws,
    or trying to divert attention away from his larger problems,
    or does he actually believe that the US did a good job in Puerto Rico?

$10 Million From FEMA Diverted to Pay for Immigration Detention Centers, Document Shows

At the federal level 10M isn't a huge amount of money....but taking any money from FEMA to fund ICE sucks. What in the hell is this ridiculous obsession with illegal immigrants from Mexico, Central America, & South America? Many/all of TRump's real estate developments involved numerous sub-contractors; the likelihood that none of them employed illegal aliens is zero. And what about his hotels?

What other chipping away at FEMA funding is taking place?

19. rogue49

20. rogue49

• Like Like x 1