1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #50: Are you a "Type A" or a "Type B" personality?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Feb 10, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Are you a Type A or a Type B?
    Someone asked me this recently and I really didn't know how to respond.
    People have described me as type A in the past. But people also have described me as accepting and easy-going, which would be Type B.
    Perhaps I'm inclined toward a type A but choose not to be? Does that even happen? Or am I a Type A who is living in denial?

And when you describe someone as Type A, is that just a polite way of telling someone that they are a bitch or prick?

What are you? A or B?
    What do you want to be?
    How do you get along with others?

2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I'm pretty opposed to categories like this because they don't in my experience fit very well. There are aspects of my personality that are very type A, but there are other parts of me that are definitely not. Context plays a part too.

I kind of get why people do it. MBTI, type A/B, astrological signs, whatever. It gives you a sort of tribe to belong to. But it's all horoscoping; either it's vague enough that it can apply to anyone, or people act out the archetype because they think it's how they should behave. They fulfill a role.

Sometimes I'm thinking, sometimes I'm feeling. Sometimes I'm introverted, sometimes I'm extroverted. Sometimes I'm assertive, sometimes I'm passive. None of these boxes fit me, and I reject out of hand the idea that I must be classified and categorized.

So I don't really think I'm either. Or maybe I'm both. However you choose to look at it I suppose.

I suppose these things have value as a tool for introspection or self-assesment. But I would advise against taking them too seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'm a hybrid. I have characteristics of both and leaning too hard in one direction or another causes me anxiety. They're toying with a Type C, which combines aspects of the two, but it's really only used "officially" in I/O psych or business.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm definitely type B, sometimes to a fault.

I think the thing about type A mentioned in the OP is that it's more obvious when type As get carried away. It's like the difference between extroverts and introverts.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I agree with chunks of what @Martian said. I'm not necessarily opposed to going through the exercise of trying to identify strong personality traits. But I do find that some people seem to over rate them, or feel that if you test out as one that that's just how you need to be, or how it's always okay to be, no matter what the circumstances. Some of the more involved tests I can take and get very different results based on the day, even if I'm trying to be honest and accurate in my answers.

I think the most successful people (not just speaking financially or career wise, but the happiest in life) are those that can adjust and adapt, sometimes even almost morph from one to the other when the circumstances call for it.

To answer your question personally, I think I exhibit a fair amount of both personalities' traits. I think my natural instinct is to be more Yype A, but I've worked hard to try to cultivate some of the positive aspects of Type B. I think there's room to switch back and forth as circumstances dictate, and an advantage if you can figure out how.

6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

B+/A- for many of the same reasons listed above.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Type A at work.
    Type B at home.

Complete polar opposite.

• Like Like x 1
  8. genuinemommy

I think I need to start describing myself as a type B+ personality if someone asks me that question. Thank you for that!

9. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Mostly B, with a slight smattering of A. I'm pretty laid back about almost everything, but I have absolutely no patience when it comes to incompetence.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Dude, I'm so type B I could be type C if there was one. I can occasionally pull it together to do certain projects in a more type A way, but that's a deliberate effort to be other than I usually am. Definitely type B. And unashamed.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Preach it, Brother!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

There is a world of issues that I really don't give a shit about and a few where I do.

I'm type B unless you hit one of my hot buttons.

• Like Like x 1
  13. genuinemommy

I think where I run into issues with this is...
    I really, really love order in my surroundings.
    I constantly am adjusting things and ordering them differently.
    A lot like my littlegirly, actually... no wondering where she gets that from.

But I welcome people who want to add a little chaos to my order. Just gives me more to tidy. Things get pretty boring on my own.

Unless they're an outright slob (or a child I'm supposed to teach life skills), I won't bother to correct them. Now, if they're inconveniencing those around them with their slovenly crap, then I'm going to inform them, and put them in their place if the need arises. Especially if they're a full-grown adult who should know better.

There are those who see my order and assume I don't want it disturbed. They see me fixing things and making lists and tidying, and they're completely overwhelmed and walk away. It's a shame, really, because if they weren't so timid and actually spoke to me about my compulsion for order, they would probably enjoy sitting back and letting someone else take over the work for once.

14. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I always thought I was Taipai
    Until I went down to Bombay
    As I melted some ghee
    I turned into type B
    And that's what I've been to this day:)

• Like Like x 2
  15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I'm generally perceived as a Type A, but my priority is in getting the job done. If I'm not the best leader for the project, I'm happy to step aside. I'm also pretty good at manipulating people to do what I want while thinking the idea is theirs. I like order with an edge of chaos, and I am perceived as a talker and a listener, but one is a skill I've cultivated.

• Like Like x 2
  16. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

I'm not an A, and I don't get along with many of them. They are fun to mess with, though.

I'm more the M type (mom). Part laid back, part drill sergeant, with a slight mischievous streak.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

As many have posted already....it depends.

I'm usually pretty laid back, but I'm not really a follower, and don't respond well to being pressured to conform.

If I'm in charge of getting something done, I want to get it done. Looking at options and figuring out the best way is one thing; indecisive pissing around is something else. As a team member, not the leader, when things get bogged down I'm not afraid to say "OK, we've got viable options here. Let's choose a course of action and get started."

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016