1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #51: How do you feel when you write?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Feb 12, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

How does the act of writing make you feel?
    Be it handwriting or typing, or speaking to a device that transfers it into text. When you are laying down words, what kind of emotions do you experience?

Postitive?
    Negative?
    Joy? Exhuberance?
    Frustration? Mounting dread?

When I'm slinging together words that are truly uniquely mine in relation to a concept, I get a bit of a high. It's wonderful. But there are definitely times when writing is drudgery. Most of the time those feelings come when I'm trying to slog my way through something that is not my choice, or when it gets to the point in a draft where I'm dealing with other people's opinions and words so much that I no longer have a sense of ownership.

What about you?

2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Depends on what I'm writing. Technical documentation is always the pits. There's no joy to be had in that. Stuff I write because I want to is another matter.

I haven't done any real creative writing for years. Maybe I should do that again.

Aside: I write by hand as little as possible because my handwriting is terrible. I suspect my handwriting is terrible at least in part because I write by hand as little as possible. I suppose if we take the premise as given then the fix is obvious, but I don't know if I care to. I type much faster than I can write by hand anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Agree alot with what Martian says. It depends on what I'm writing. I don't completely hate my technical writing, more so that I hate the tight ass deadlines I'm given.

Creative writing has always been a means of escape for me. With all of the adult responsibilities and demanding career, getting away physically is consistently difficult. So when I write for personal projects, I take advantage of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Like I'm getting the thoughts out of my head.

• Like Like x 1
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I love all kinds of writing. I love the intellectual stretch. Composition, especially involving paraphrasing, is one of the most cognitively complex tasks we can engage in (Marzano, et al). It relaxes me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'm extremely self critical about my writing. It never comes out as well as I'd like. Toss in an inability to proofread my own work* and I pretty much detest it.

* I mentally "fill in the blanks", I know what I meant to say.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I suppose it depends what I am writing.

Most of the writing I do these days is work related. I don't feel much of anything when I am writing that sort of thing.

I would like to write more for pleasure, but I haven't taken much pleasure from writing lately. I know I should just write, but I'm not motivated.

These days writing feels like a chore, or at worst empty.

• Like Like x 1
  8. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

This pretty much covers it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Graduate school killed all of the joy and fun I found in writing. My dissertation was stripped apart and dissected and rewritten until I lost ownership. I lost the fun in writing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I am not looking forward to the home stretch.

11. evaderum

evaderum Getting Tilted

I don't have any real mandatory writing that I do, it's all just the voluntary things I happen to do for my own reasons. Some of it's more personal stuff, which has tended to be more from a negative place, but writing about it has been beneficial I think. Other things I've written when I've gotten random motivation or an idea about something isn't nearly as negative. It can be a struggle at times to focus and put my thoughts into a coherent 2 dimensional structure that has the flow of beginning to an end.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Writing is creative and therapeutic for me. It brings me joy and can bring me peace. I most journal (aside from beauty and travel writing)

• Like Like x 1