1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest!
The donation button is here.
https://goo.gl/aFggcs
Dismiss Notice
Guest, some new updates and fixes were done. Please let staff know if anything is funky or wonky!!!

QOTD #80: pencils and sharpener?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by genuinemommy, Jul 8, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

When was the last time you used a pencil?
    How about a pencil sharpener?
    What is your favorite pencil?
    What is your favorite pencil sharpener?
    A style you prefer of either?
    I love golf pencils for the kiddos.
    We want to get a nice electric sharpener and a quality hand size sharpener. I don't want garbage. Any tips on what to look for?

2. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass Donor

A Pentel .5mm mechanical drafting pencil is my writing implement of choice.

I had to buy one for a drafting class in college, found it excelled for subscripts and exponents in math class, and just started using it for everything.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I use a pencil quite frequently. Between scan trons at work (evaluations) and for class (multiple choice tests) they get used often. My favorite is one is a promotional pencil from my college of business. It's my lucky pencil.

This bad boy is in my office suite. I use him more often than the electric one.

IMG_4203.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I use a Staedtler 512, which is a double-hole tub sharpener. I don't use a pencil often, so I can't justify a mechanical or electrical sharpener. I hope to get into some things that will require more pencil use, but for some reason I appreciate the tactile nature of sharpening a pencil by manual means.

STAEDTLER 512 - Double-hole tub sharpener | STAEDTLER

I could never get into mechanical pencils. To me they seem like abominations.

• Like Like x 1
  5. omega

omega Very Tilted

I used to use one for accident scene sketches, so pretty much every day at work when I was west of Denver. Since I am out, I never use one. I have 4 pens in my pocket right now. If you put then down, they disappear off your desk.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lindy

Lindy Very Tilted Donor

I've used the side-clicker .5mm Pentels, but really prefer the old fashioned wood stick pencils. I still have a good supply of them from when I was in college twenty years ago, marked "Emporia State University No.2" and some yellow Dixons as well.

I have several of the Mobius + Ruppert little brass handhelds that I bought for a dollar each at an art supply store going out of business sale.
    21413-1030-1-2ww-m.jpg

They're solid brass and much heavier than the Staedtler. I've got about a dozen in my desks, kitchen, even in the car. So they're right at my fingertips, I don't need to go to a wall mounted one. I also have an electric -- haven't used it for years, like my electric can opener.

I just like pencils better than pens for general use, so I use them all the time, unless signing documents or checks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member Donor

I also prefer a Pentel drafting pencil--the 120 A3 DX. I also like the Sharp from Pentel.

• Like Like x 1
  8. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted Donor

I haven't used a pencil in years. However I see it in my future soon. Pre school coming up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & don't criticize.

I very rarely use a pencil. My wife uses them all the time and has several sharpeners, at least two at home and a few at work. Years ago she bought for me a fancy mechanical pencil--I forget the make & model, but it is a really nice one--which she eventually started using because I rarely used it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member Donor

I draw with colored pencils.
    And I use a manual sharpener (auto doesn't allow for soft rounded tips well)

As for writing, I tend to use a sharp tip gel pen. (and yes, even though I'm in IT, I still like writing for notes)

• Like Like x 1
  11. snowy

Good using a manual with colored pencils. They're crummy for electric pencil sharpeners; they gum them up easily.

• Like Like x 1
  12. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

This is something I hadn't considered. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

It's why I have three manual sharpeners in the same bin as my colored pencils. :)

• Like Like x 1