1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #80: pencils and sharpener?

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by genuinemommy, Jul 8, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

When was the last time you used a pencil?
    How about a pencil sharpener?
    What is your favorite pencil?
    What is your favorite pencil sharpener?
    A style you prefer of either?
    I love golf pencils for the kiddos.
    We want to get a nice electric sharpener and a quality hand size sharpener. I don't want garbage. Any tips on what to look for?

2. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

A Pentel .5mm mechanical drafting pencil is my writing implement of choice.

I had to buy one for a drafting class in college, found it excelled for subscripts and exponents in math class, and just started using it for everything.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I use a pencil quite frequently. Between scan trons at work (evaluations) and for class (multiple choice tests) they get used often. My favorite is one is a promotional pencil from my college of business. It's my lucky pencil.

This bad boy is in my office suite. I use him more often than the electric one.

IMG_4203.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I use a Staedtler 512, which is a double-hole tub sharpener. I don't use a pencil often, so I can't justify a mechanical or electrical sharpener. I hope to get into some things that will require more pencil use, but for some reason I appreciate the tactile nature of sharpening a pencil by manual means.

STAEDTLER 512 - Double-hole tub sharpener | STAEDTLER

I could never get into mechanical pencils. To me they seem like abominations.

• Like Like x 1
  5. omega

omega Very Tilted

I used to use one for accident scene sketches, so pretty much every day at work when I was west of Denver. Since I am out, I never use one. I have 4 pens in my pocket right now. If you put then down, they disappear off your desk.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I've used the side-clicker .5mm Pentels, but really prefer the old fashioned wood stick pencils. I still have a good supply of them from when I was in college twenty years ago, marked "Emporia State University No.2" and some yellow Dixons as well.

I have several of the Mobius + Ruppert little brass handhelds that I bought for a dollar each at an art supply store going out of business sale.
    21413-1030-1-2ww-m.jpg

They're solid brass and much heavier than the Staedtler. I've got about a dozen in my desks, kitchen, even in the car. So they're right at my fingertips, I don't need to go to a wall mounted one. I also have an electric -- haven't used it for years, like my electric can opener.

I just like pencils better than pens for general use, so I use them all the time, unless signing documents or checks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I also prefer a Pentel drafting pencil--the 120 A3 DX. I also like the Sharp from Pentel.

• Like Like x 1
  8. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I haven't used a pencil in years. However I see it in my future soon. Pre school coming up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I very rarely use a pencil. My wife uses them all the time and has several sharpeners, at least two at home and a few at work. Years ago she bought for me a fancy mechanical pencil--I forget the make & model, but it is a really nice one--which she eventually started using because I rarely used it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I draw with colored pencils.
    And I use a manual sharpener (auto doesn't allow for soft rounded tips well)

As for writing, I tend to use a sharp tip gel pen. (and yes, even though I'm in IT, I still like writing for notes)

• Like Like x 1
  11. snowy

Good using a manual with colored pencils. They're crummy for electric pencil sharpeners; they gum them up easily.

• Like Like x 1
  12. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

This is something I hadn't considered. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  13. snowy

It's why I have three manual sharpeners in the same bin as my colored pencils. :)

• Like Like x 1