1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #88: What do you think of altruism?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Sep 19, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

How altruistic are you?

In what ways do you share your altruistic nature?

Do you feel that your feelings regarding altruism impact your political leanings? How so?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be more altruistic.

In all honesty, my sense of altruism has all but disappeared since I had children. Rather than focusing on the betterment of humanity overall, my resources go to them. Sure, if I can help other people out along the way, I do. But my focus is no longer in learning how to be the best teacher to impact the most students, or improving the lives of those around me. No. My focus is on my home, my family, my husband, my children, and nothing more. I feel like I've hit some sort of a survival mode where I can't stand to waste my resources (physical or financial) on anyone other than my blood.

I honestly have never cared less about politics than I do at present. I feel more than ever that my vote carries no weight in national politics, and isn't going to make much of an impact on local politics either. I still have opinions, I still vote. But I don't expect to see a result.

I don't invest emotionally or fiscally in things that might fail. I focus on things that allow me to see a substantial difference, and I leave it at that. Call it selfish, if you will, but sometimes "Givers" just need to learn to say "No". And I think I've gotten to that stage in my life.

2. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I was very altruistic in my teens and twenties, not so much any more. While I care about humanity and other people in general, when it gets to specifics, my resources are limited. I choose to spend my time and money on things that affect my family and myself (with the intent of helping others).

I donate money to the American Cancer Society specifically because I'm a cancer survivor and everyone in my family dies of cancer.
    I help rebuild trails because I use them.
    I support National Ski Patrol because my daughter is a member and one of them is inevitably going to haul my butt down the mountain.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm altruistic with my time, effort and body. (give blood, help groups, do jobs, talk, etc...)
    I don't like giving money because it gets abused, wasted and doesn't often go to the ones that need it.

Politics has nothing to do with my giving.

I do have to be careful, because I do have a "rescuer complex"...so often I've tried help those that use others or don't truly need assistance.
    Unfortunately, can't save everyone...had to learn that.
    And some don't want to be saved...had to learn that too.

• Like Like x 2
  4. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I also like to help and am a giving person but I have to say that I am so much like @genuinemommy described herself and family in this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I looked up "altruism": it is the belief in or practice of "disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others."

I have plenty of altruistic thoughts and inclinations but my follow-through ebbs and flows.
    I tend to want to champion the underdog, literally canines.
    I foster rescue dogs and I have a great deal of empathy for them. If it were not for our housing rules, I'd have a pack.
    I remember being of @genuinemommy's mindset when in the midst of parenting. For me, it was a stage of life that I've aged out of.

I care about societal issues but I'm a Canadian ex-pat in Arizona so voting isn't a choice I have. FWIW, I use my voice on social media to disseminate information. I've physically protested a new Sea World-type enclosure going in locally. I'm trying to figure out how best to go about helping our neighbourhood homeless guy--don't know that he wants my or anyone else's help, though. If an issue comes to my attention, I try to find the most effective way to deal with it. I do give money but only after making sure that the recipient is verifiable. The most recent was a fund for victims at the Orlando Pulse nightclub.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

My career focuses on aiding charities and fundraising events by promoting their causes.

I don't charge for my services, so perhaps that qualifies. Philanthropy was taught to me at an early age and it just kind of stuck. It's second nature at this point, I think.

God that sounds like I'm patting myself on the back. I'm not. Would I have turned out this way on my own? Doubtful. It's just how I was raised. Do good.

7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

If it makes you feel any better, there's some scientists that say we do altruistic things to make ourselves feel good.
    No worries, many scientists are full of shit. :)

Keep on, keeping on. :cool:

I help because, it's my first instinct to help...and I assume most others who do, do so for the same reasons.
    Humans can be selfless just by their own nature.
    Not everyone has an agenda.

I have faith in this.

8. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

To be honest I don't think there is such a thing as absolute altruism.
    We all do things for multiple reasons.
    We get things out of what we do even when there seems like there is no reward even if it is just positive feelings.
    I tend to give to smaller organizations or individuals because it seems like there is a better chance the money will have impact.
    It doesn't mean I care less about the larger issues but I don't have a lot so I wan't to make the most of it I can.
    So I tend to invest in people I care about, in projects and charities that are dear to me.

When Jadzia died I made the decision to own less and invest in people more.
    That's not altruism, that's a conscious decision to change focus.