1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

QOTD #95: What's your hobby?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Dec 5, 2016.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

So, what's your hobby?
    What do you do for fun?
    What do you get out of your hobby?
    How do you carve out time for your hobby?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

I love crafting beauty. This happens in the form of art, writing, sewing, music, and more. I also love gardening. It goes hand-in-hand with the drive to create beauty, and compliments my passion for plants. I get a sense of satisfaction as I complete a project. I like having a physical result to enjoy, that allows me to look back on the good time I experienced during its creation.

I schedule regular time. I also take time randomly for it. I take away from hours that I could otherwise be working to do these things. With two young children, it's the only way I have found. I'm too exhausted to create after they're in bed.

2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Writing.
    Writing, collect vinyl, writing about collecting vinyl.
    I set aside the morning of one day on the weekend to do only that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

When I started thinking about this, it occurred to me that there is probably a blurred line between what would qualify as a "hobby" to most people versus just what they do to relax.

For instance, watching sports probably isn't really a "hobby", unless you are very extreme in the way you do so. Maybe a guy who tailgates at every home game, has a party for every road game, and who revolves his entire schedule around his team has a "hobby" in doing so. Just rambling food for thought....

My wife complains that I have too many hobbies, and not enough time or money to pursue them all.

The last month or so I've spent most of my hobby time hunting.
    Obviously there are benefits gained in the form of food (I don't hunt anything that we don't eat). But honestly, a bigger benefit is just being out in the woods alone for hours at a time. It can be very relaxing, gives you time to think, and you can actually see/hear lots of interesting things in nature. Also, on at least one of my hunting trips each year, I get to hang out with friends at the cabin we all stay at.
    For that particular hobby I have to schedule time off of work and coordinate with friends. However, it is also fairly limited, since there are only a couple of weekends for shotgun hunting in IL, and several weeks of bow hunting.

From March-Oct or so, a main hobby is riding my motorcycle.
    I find it a stress relief. Also, it is often something I do with my wife (as a passenger) or with friends (fellow riders). Occasionally we will take trips with other couples, even overnight. I also often try to ride to places that are scenic, so it can be enjoyable from a nature perspective.
    That hobby can be enjoyed almost any time during most of the year. But I do plan at least two group rides every year that I have to set aside time for, coordinate with my friends, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

In no particular order...
    • Martial Arts (Kenpo - Chinese & American, Judo, Ju Jitsu, Aikido)
    • Reading (Fantasy, Science, History, Mystery, Psychology, Sociology)
    • Sports (Biking, Swimming, Basketball, Archery, etc...)
    • Art (pencils, paints, 3D pieces)
    • Science (Physics...chemistry, math, genetics)
    • Dancing (any music...even country now...love rock and trance)
    • Music (concerts, drums, etc)
    • Travel
    • Cooking
    • etc...
    It all depends on my mood and where my brain goes with it...I can't "force it" to do anything. No plans, I just wing-it.
    I'm not obsessive. I'm not consistent.
    I'm invested and intense for some time...then I move on...and later I come back to it.

Which probably throws a lot of people off. They can't categorize what I am. (Ladies hate this, it seems, I don't know why...)
    Funny, same goes at work...I don't have a particular role...I just do it, whatever they throw at me. Pisses them off too, don't know what I'm doing because they can't keep track...even though they asked.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  5. PlaysWithPixels

PlaysWithPixels Getting Tilted

Art - Paint, Draw, Photography

Yoga, Swim

Read - Adventure with some conspiracy theory, Paranormal Romance/Mythology, Geeky Fandom type stuff - Harry Potter, LOTR, a few others that are witchcraft, paranormal, mythology based.

Travel

My 2017 goal is to cook one new recipe per month, and visit one new place per month. January was the Golden Gate Bridge... working on a recipe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. redravin

Collecting vinyl.
    Music in general.
    Writing about music.
    Writing in general.
    Reading about music.
    Reading in general.
    Collecting graphic novels.
    Reading graphic novels.
    Reading in general.
    Modding a website.
    Politics.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kung Fu Kid

Kung Fu Kid Vertical

My main hobbies, studying music, guitar playing and buying guitar related equipment.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Cool :cool:. Acoustic? Electric? Both?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blood Brother

Blood Brother New Member

Storm chasing in the spring and summer and working out. Also, buying accessories for and working on my Jeep.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'm a bit of a thrill seeker. It's hard to worry about work or daughters when you're doing 50 around a 20mph corner on a motorcycle. That pain in the ass project from work becomes trivial when you're looking down a "turn or die" slope on skis.

Motorcycles
    Skiing
    photography
    hiking
    music and audio equipment
    Is Molly a hobby?

For the most part, motorcycle season and ski season oppose each other. There are a few weekends where I could do either.

The last thing I need is another expensive hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  11. redravin

I suspect Molly is more of a life style.

• Like Like x 4
  12. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I don't know if I have one. Hmmmm guess then I don't

13. Joelski

Joelski Vertical

I collect guitars and tube amps, but I also repair them, and build from parts kits. I grew up on dirt bikes and box, raced both and have the body to show for it. I made my own Hammet (laid-up the graphic and leveled the finish), rather than pop 10 grand for a nostalgic model from ESP:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. omega

omega Very Tilted

[​IMG]
    I don't engage in my hobbies enough. Snowboarding has fallen by the wayside. I have painted a couple model cars, but it's hard to sit down for only a few minutes to do that. I have made a couple knives and just finished this one for my stepmother. She has been asking for one for a solid year since she saw the one I made my sister. It is again high carbon steel with a simple heat treat. The pins are brass rod and the handle is walnut with two coatings of danish oil. It's not perfect, you are looking at the nice side. However I am not disenheartened, so that's something. I am planning out my next one, a simple kiridashi.
    My other activity is weightlifting. That occupies much of my free time, though it's more of a lifestyle than a hobby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  15. omega

omega Very Tilted

BTW that knife blade is now hair popping sharp.

• Like Like x 2
  16. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Writing.
    Reading.
    Cooking.
    Eating.
    Traveling.
    Video games.
    Rock collecting.
    Skincare.
    Makeup.
    Anime and manga.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

No hobbies.
    Things I like to do:
    Gardening, inside and out.
    Star-gazing.
    Sky watching.
    Learning to cook.
    All things dogs.
    Reading.
    Interneting.
    Snapping photos.
    Cottaging.
    Exploring new places.
    Dancing with myself.
    Singing in the car.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I don't really have hobbies anymore. Between work, school, and raising a child to not suck...there's just not much I want to do.

I used to play rugby. That was my hobby and my passion. I miss it, but now I watch my little one play soccer. Maybe some day she'll like rugby too.

I used to read...a lot.... Now I'm either too tired or too busy. Ever since my last relapse, reading can be difficult. My eyes aren't able to focus for long periods of time.

I mostly just like napping.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Annoying Borla may count as a hobby.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

For @ZombieSquirrel it's more an occupation.

• Like Like x 3