1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Question of the day #16: Do you have a best friend?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Oct 9, 2015.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Aside from a spouse or sibling, do you have a best friend?
    How long have you known your best friend?
    Do you consider multiple people your best?

This keeps hitting me. I have several very close friends. I have recently renewed contact with my childhood best friend. We have known each other since we were 2, but had a bit of a falling out over nothing specific the past decade. I am grateful she is back in my life, but cannot call her my best friend. My sister in law is my best friend. I have known her since 2008, but only started spending real time with her last year. But she is family. I have started to become close friends with another friend, but then hired her as my nanny and I hope I have not destroyed that friendship by hiring her. So far it has been great. I also have my science-y brainiac best friend, who I can always turn to when I need to geek out. Then there's the wife of my husband's best friend, who is quite close, too. But I guess I either have many best friends? Or none? Hmmm.

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I don't have a specific best friend.

Growing up I had the same best friend from about 4-5 years of age until we were in our mid-20s. Together every weekend for 15+ years basically, best men in each other's weddings, all that cliche stuff. After we both married, I moved away, etc., we kind of grew apart. No specific hard feelings or whatever, just both of us got busy, and over the years some decisions we each made contributed to us not staying close. Nobody's fault, and no hard feelings, but I'm fine with it too.

I do have multiple people that I consider very close friends. I feel very fortunate in how many people I have in my life that I'm close to, trust, can rely on, and have mutually beneficial relationships with. I don't call any single one "my best friends", but I've often said "he is one of my best friends" when describing people.

3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I don't have a best friend. I lost contact over the years with the one person I considered my best friend when he & his family moved to Ohio. Neither of our lives turned out as we expected, disappointing really, and our last phone conversation was awkward.

4. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I don't have one either, our society is more of a self social. I think that getting two individual people to hang in there together and still be best friends is impossible. Then again, keeping in mind, I keep my circle tight and look for reasons not to allow anyone in.

5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I have a BFF...a hot Rock Goddess that I've known for 25 years. (some of you have seen pics)
    Oh, the stories we could tell... :cool:
    No, we have not had sex...not that either of us hasn't thought of it often...it just hasn't worked out that way. (either one of us were in a serious relationship when the other was free)

Not a geek AT ALL like me, but we have full honesty and can discuss ANYTHING.
    Unfortunately, we've been separated for some time now, me in DC she in SD
    We text daily these days though.

------
    My cousin is my other best friend, he's exactly one year younger than me (same day, same time)
    So I always tell him what his coming year will be like ;)
    I can also talk to him about anything
    And he's a geek too...so he gets tech. (and the guy side)

He wants my single life...I want his family life (sans shrew wives)

-----
    Mom is a really good friend too.
    I can talk about most things (within reason & discretion, it is my mom y'know)
    We go over philosophy and social aspects a lot.

6. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

My circle of friends is small but they are close.
    I have 3 pals from high school that I still see regularly and feel very close to.
    A real good friend in this area who I bike ride and deer hunt with.
    Many people I work with who I have friendly relationships with and sometimes see outside work but their not like my tight inner friends.
    I'm also really good at being alone, so I don't go searching for new relationships.

7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I have a lot of good, close friends. I'm very fortunate in that respect. My best friends from college are still close to me, but physical distance means that we don't get to spend as much time together as I'd like.

8. FreeVerse

FreeVerse Screw Tilted, I'm all the way upside down.

No. I find that when I designate one as "best" - the rest.... bicker.... so for years, all friends have been unranked.

9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I have a few close friends that I see from time to time. It always feels like no time has passed, even if it's been a few months. Several friendships kinda fell apart while I was on internship. But i haven't had a "best" friend in years. Hubs is the closest thing to it.

10. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

@ZombieSquirrel is my best friend (or as we sometimes refer to each other, my "hetero life mate.") We've known each other since we were 8, and always had the same circle of friends, but we didn't really start hanging out on the regular until high school. It totally sucks that we live on opposite sides of the country now, but we're in contact almost daily thanks to texting and faceyspace. We're opposites in a lot of ways, but we balance each other out nicely, I think.

I've been sitting here trying to think of everything I want to say, but how do you sum up over two decades of friendship? You can't, really. There have been some terrible lows, but we've also had some fantastically crazy adventures, and nearly all of my favorite memories involve her. She's my babycakes, and I love her.

11. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Now it all makes sense.

@CinnamonGirl, have I ever told you how nice, smart, polite, perceptive, funny, pretty, kind, sincere, thoughtful, sensible, cultured, rational, good-natured, friendly, cheerful, reasonable, clever, considerate, and fun you are?

:p

• Like Like x 3
  12. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

I haven't had a best friend in years.

13. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I've got several really close friends; but I wouldn't call any of them a best friend.

I have a couple of friends that are a blast to ski with; but I'll go all spring,summer, and fall without saying a word. They are my bestest ski buddies.

There's a guy that that I ride motorcycles with, whose idea of a nice ride is every bit as aggressive as mine. Bestest motorcycle buddy?

My old friend in Aspen has impeccable taste in music, probably because we develop our musical taste at the same time and place.

I have good friends at work, that I have no interest in seeing outside of work.

My life is fairly compartmentalized, my friendships are the same.

14. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwe i LURVE you! (I HATE @borla and he can't be in our circle.)

I do have BFFs of eras of my life, but @CinnamonGirl has been the only constant. I have my BFF from college. My BFF from post college. I have an Oregon BFF. Cinnykins is the only one I truly confide in though.

I was thinking about our friendship the other day. The older we get, the more opposite we become I think. It's not a bad thing because we still see eye to eye on what's important.

I am jealous in ways of how free spirited she is. I don't really know how to let go or let loose. We are both sarcastic, but she's nicer about it. We're both "good people" but she's nicer to most people than I am. She allows people to have second chances. I don't usually do that. I'll talk bad about people, but she always has something nice to say. I used to be a Rachel, but I am wound so tight now that I think I'm a Monica. She'll always be my Phoebe though.

She complements me and she completes me.

15. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Here I was trying to not be sappy, and you went and made me all teary, damn it. :) Love you back, babycakes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Well, your heart is made of gold, and mine of ice...however, you still made my eyes sweat a bit with your post.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I don't have many close/best friends. I have friends, who are great, but they aren't people I share things with.

There are two people I would consider my best friends. One I have known since grade 8 and we have spent a lot of time together and, until the late 90s, I would have said he knows me the best of anyone else. We are less close these days physically and mentally (heck all of my older friends are physically distant from me these days).

The other person, is a friend from University. We have been very close over the years and then apart for many. I make a point of seeing her whenever I am in Canada (she lives in Ottawa) and it's like we were never apart. We typically pick up our conversation where it left off and share just about everything.

These two were my best "men" at my wedding.

18. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I have a best friend, been friends since we were 13. We have always hung and even lived together for a few years. He has helped me though some things and I couldn't count how many times we have had drunken conversations about everything. He knows more about me than anyone else and I consider him a bother from another mother.

I don't have a real brother, but he is as close as I have to one.

19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I did have another very close friend, but we weren't close in the same way as I was with my best friend. We were more like two guys partying and heavily into music in an attempt to compensate for how empty our lives were. We drifted apart as my life took a different direction, got my own place, made new friends, eventually went to college, got married, etc.

He was basically stuck at age 14 (irresponsible, self-centered, & rebellious), which was his age when his mother died. And most likely he still is. Many years later I found out that he used to visit my mother during his (frequent) periods of unemployment, and mooch iced tea (and probably food). That wasn't an issue; the fact that he told her about nearly everything about our 'adventures' was a major issue. I haven't seen him since learning of this.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  20. angela_c_82

angela_c_82 Vertical

I am lucky enough to have 2 one from childhood and another friend from my college years. Both I trust and have made such an impact on my life. They've been there through all my ups and downs and know me better than myself. They both are different and bring out different sides of me. Then I have other very close friends that I respect and care about as well. I like meeting and connecting with others in all areas of my life. I'm grateful for the love I receive and give to these different friends.

• Like Like x 1