1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recomend a scary/disturbing book?

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Strange Famous, Aug 12, 2011.

1. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

Ray Bradbury's "The Coffin" is only a short story, but it kept me awake for a few nights, utterly petrified.

2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I am also a fan of Bram Stoker.
    Edgar Allen Poe too.

3. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

I should have thought of Poe. I suppose Edgar Allen Poe's stories and poetry doesn't qualify, but The Fall of the House of Usher, The Cask of Amontillado, and Berenice are all scary, disturbing stories.

4. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

5. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Call me old fashioned, but I am a huge fan of HP Lovecraft. I love his use of language, and he really had a talent for making very palpable the sense that horrible things lurk everywhere, just out of sight.

6. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Just finished this. I agree. It is disturbing on the level of how cavalierly life was treated in that environment.
    --- merged: Aug 18, 2011 2:37 PM ---
    I'd like to check out Dean Koontz. Which do you recommend?

7. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I didn't list every one I've read, just the ones I enjoy re-reading. The colored ones I especially liked.

Your Heart Belongs to Me 2008
    In Odd We Trust 2008 (prequel to Odd Thomas)
    Odd Hours 2008
    The Darkest Evening of the Year 2007
    The Good Guy 2007
    Brother Odd 2006
    The Husband 2006
    Forever Odd 2005
    Velocity 2005
    Life Expectancy 2004
    Odd Thomas 2003
    The Face 2003
    By the Light of the Moon 2002
    One Door Away From Heaven 2001
    From the Corner of His Eye 2000
    Seize the Night 1999
    Fear Nothing 1998
    Sole Survivor 1997
    Tick Tock 1996
    Intensity 1995
    Dark Rivers of the Heart 1994
    Winter Moon 1994
    Mr. Murder 1993
    Dragon Tears 1993
    Cold Fire 1991
    The Bad Place 1990
    Lightning 1988
    Watchers 1988
    Twilight Eyes 1987

Here's a link to his website with the list of his books and their synopses:
    http://www.deankoontz.com/all-books/

8. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

No contest.
    Geek Love by Katherine Dunn.
    I am always talking about this book and am amazed that so few people have read it.
    It's horrific and bizarre. But so exquisitely written that it takes your breath away.
    Katherine Dunn is a master. She writes this story with such power and poetry that you forget that these people are freaks until she reminds you again.
    She is the Diane Arbus of literature.
    You know, if you're into that sort of thing.
    Arturo is one of the most frightening characters I have ever read in literature. And it's not because of his flippers.

9. Gerald's Game and Cujo - both by Stephen King - creeped me the hell out because despite being Stephen King, the premises were almost believable, especially Gerald's Game. I think Cujo bothered me because I have a phobia of dogs. Gerald's Game was just...disturbing.

10. wolf Evil Grin

Pet Semetary was a good scary book. Also, The Books of Blood by Clive Barker.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Pet Cemetery was especially creepy from the perspective of losing a toddler to a truck accident. Sent shivers down my spine.

12. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Clive Barkers " Sacrament " gave me nightmares, woke me in the middle of the night.

• Like Like x 1
  13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Books of Blood and Sacrament by Clive Barker are both worth the read.
    Joe Hill picked up his dads touch with the scary so his books Horns and Heart Shaped Box are very good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson.

This 1952 novel is tame by today's standards, at least on the blood & gore level, but is still a chilling look inside the mind of a cold-blooded killer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

What I like about C. Barker is that it's not generic blood and gore. It's as if I am viewing evil. The way he writes it becomes a movie in my mind. And he has been able to do it to me every time. I have never been disappointed.

16. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Anything by Clive Barker, although I really liked Imajica and Cabal
    I enjoyed Dean Koontz's Watchers (but this might be because of the super intelligent dog)

Of course, the classics of H.P. Lovecraft are always twisted. :eek:

And disturbing & surreal are the Illuminati series by Robert Anton Wilson. :confused: