1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend a sub-$200 laptop

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Bear Cub, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Your mission: To find BC a laptop, new or refurbished, for under $200, that isn't a steaming pile.

Normally, I would not be looking in this price range for a laptop. However, what I'm needing is a laptop with at least a 15" screen that will be dedicated to my racecar for the sole purpose of using the engine management software, downloading video from the GoPro to clear out the memory card, and getting online for e-mail to send out data logs/import fuel & timing maps. The other 99.9% of its life, it will be used as a door stop. Here's the needs:

-Windows based (software compatibility)
    -15" screen minimum (I need to be able to see fuel map curves well enough that I can use a mouse to drag and adjust as needed)
    -USB connectivity (need two ports min. for mouse and ECU)
    -CD drive
    -WiFi
    -Good battery life a huge plus

Aaaaand, that's about it. Recommendations (and links to smoking deals) are very much appreciated!

2. No recommendations on a laptop but always have had god xperiences with eCost, there are dozens similar though.
    Searching for at eCOST

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hey, here we go...

Price tag seems a little unrealistic given what I can find on NewEgg and TigerDirect.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bear Cub

Can stretch to $250. Have found some refurb'd Latitudes in the $200 range. Can go with a 14" screen if I have to, but prefer not to.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

6. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

$250 falls squarely into craigslist and P-P-P-Powerbook territory. I'd look for something used.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bear Cub

Found a local place doing refurbs with a T60P Thinkpad, 2.33GHz Intel Dual Core, 2GB RAM, 100GB HD, DVD/CDRW, Win 7 and WiFi for $200. Going to give them a call tomorrow.

I must say Plan9, I'm deeply saddened by your absence of internet prowess on this one. Here I was, thinking you could find me a supercomputer in trade for a wooden nickel, empty gum wrapper, and a picture of some kid that was the stock photo in a picture frame.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

C'mon, Bear Cub... I'm hardly the tech guru. I can barely handle tying my shoelaces.

Lordeden and Martian are the go-to Designated Nerds for all your computer queries here on TFP.

I guess $200 isn't too unrealistic for a used computer that you pick up from a Random Stranger on the Web.

Perhaps some computer brands are like Glocks... new or used they're always good. My knowledge is waaay limited.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  9. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

15" laptop for less than $200? You're looking at used, and not fantastic. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like you need fantastic.

If you can live with 13" your options are greatly expanded. Smaller screens tend to come with longer battery life and better portability, so honestly I think that might be a better option for your stated application. 13" isn't too hot for serious productivity, but if you're not doing a lot of multitasking and/or multimedia work on it that screen size should be enough.

There's always a cost/performance/size tradeoff. You want cheap and don't need a lot of performance. Going a bit smaller honestly sounds like the better choice.

It's difficult to recommend a used laptop over the interwebs -- ideally, for a used model you want to be able to take it for a test drive before you lay down your cash, and that's obviously not possible if you're ebaying it. Craigslist might be an option, but without knowing your area I can't really look that up.

One possibility is to trawl Craigslist looking for off-leases. Most small and medium businesses replace their hardware on 3-5 year upgrade cycles, and will sometimes let some decent hardware go for cheap. You probably won't get a hard drive with it and the battery may or may not be replacing, but with a bit of love it can be a good way to get decent, well-cared-for used hardware for a good price.

For brands, my go-to recommendations are always Toshiba and Asus. They're both excellent brands (and for the record, I've had everything from monitors to motherboards to laptops from Asus, and have never been unhappy with a single piece of hardware I've gotten from them; the only other manufacturer with that kind of track record for me is Logitech). Lenovo isn't terrible as a mid-range brand, and the Thinkpads have a reputation for durability -- if this thing is going with you on track days, that's a good trait to have in a laptop.

I don't think your ask is unrealistic, but I think it might involve a bit of patience and effort on your part. Good luck to you, sir.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I got some for sale under $200 I think. I might even throw in a TFP discount. I'll PM you when I look at my stock.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bear Cub

Let me know, Eden. Thanks for the reply, Martian. As you'd mentioned, I don't need fantastic. The user interface of this software is approximately one step up from an early 90's adventure game from a graphics-intensive perspective.

12. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I've had good luck buying a couple of used Macs off of Craigslist.
    Also, a local store here in Lincoln was advertising brand new generic PC laptops for $197, so there must be some out there that would work for a non demanding service.

13. MKOLLER

MKOLLER Vertical

Definitely going to be looking at refurbished. Core 2 or Atom, 1-2 GB of RAM, and integrated graphics. Craigslist or Ebay, then yank out the operating system and (you're going to hate this) put in Linux and run your Windows programs through WINE.

Unless you're really good at Ebaying.