1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Refute Political Memes Here

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by genuinemommy, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Holy Warrior

2. Knight Templar

3. Katia

Katia Very Tilted

View: https://youtu.be/4kr81OJp270
    [/media]

Ok, not every American I'm sure, but as an outsider looking in, it appears that this is the response of most democrats and even some republicans (who are secretly saying to themselves "WTF did I just do?").

4. Knight Templar

5. Knight Templar

6. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

You know the first thing I learned when dealing with word problems?
    That the ones using the word always were just about always wrong.

That and people often go to wise men or women for council so they have a crowd around them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Knight Templar

8. wye

wye Getting Tilted

You've posted this one before in this thread's predecessor, but I'll obligingly debunk it again.

Plato wrote no such thing. This quotation is Ammon Hennacy's anarchist twisting of a line from Plato's Laws dialogue which is translated thus: Laws are made to instruct the good, and in the hope that there may be no need of them; also to control the bad, whose hardness of heart will not be hindered from crime.

The message of Plato's original statement, as well as the ideological character of his enormous and influential body of political theory, is so different in its implications from the anarchist message in the image above that to attribute it to him is about as accurate as this attribution:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Knight Templar

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

[​IMG]

So, let's upset some philosophers...although, I'm sure we do that already by just talking. ;)

11. redravin

So you are saying we should just get rid of laws against murder, arson, and rape as well, since the criminals that enjoy those pursuits d0 them even though the laws exist?
    Seriously, of all the arguments against gun control this has got to be one of the stupidest.

• Like Like x 1
  12. wye

wye Getting Tilted

I'm not certain reductio ad absurdum would provide an effective argument against him in this case. Based on what he posts, he seems to support the rightist anarcho-capitalist view that victims of injustice are generally deserving of their circumstances due to their own supposed flaws, often because they are seemingly too weak to fend off injustice on their own, and so any governmental protections for such victims are unethical to him. For example, unemployment benefits are unethical to him because he sees unemployed people as lazy and gluttonous, affirmative action is unethical to him because he thinks that people of color must overcome any racial inequality on their own if they want to be rewarded with success, and gun control is unethical to him because he thinks that people who are injured or killed by guns are either (1.) criminals (arbitrarily defined) who should be shot by armed non-criminals or (2.) non-criminals who have failed to arm themselves in self-defense against inevitably armed criminals. This effectively social Darwinist paradigm also manifests as victim blaming in cases of rape.

However, the perceived truths that these ethics are based on are contradicted by observations of our world using the most reliable method available to us: empiricism. I've written about this at length in regard to gun control, also in this thread's predecessor:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

No, we just have to keep the existentialists and nihilists out of the environmental conferences.

• Like Like x 2
  14. redravin

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Knight Templar

16. redravin

Nothing wrong with speaking your mind but you need to be prepared to face the fucking consequences.
    The problem is the people who rail against PC want to be able to be rude assholes without have people call them on their shit.
    They mourn the days when they could tell jokes about spikes, heebs and bitches without someone telling them it was inappropriate to do that at work.
    They miss being able to belittle retards or put down bums for not pullings themselves up by their bootstraps.
    And don't get them started on the libtards.
    The fact is for all their whining about college kids wanting safe spaces, the people who complain about PC language are far worse.
    They want the ability to casually insult people and act like assholes in a totally safe environment with no one to tell them to stop being such incredible dickheads and act like decent fucking human beings.

17. Knight Templar

18. Knight Templar

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

[​IMG]

Seems like this often...especially after the election.
    However, I will say this...at least more people are aware of the world more than ever before.
    I remember when you wouldn't hear much of anything in the news internationally...now you hear of a bus crashing in Russia...or politics in India.
    *sigh* ...little bit by little bit...but boy are we slow learners.
    (and yes, I know I refuted my own damned meme...fuck it.)

20. Knight Templar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.