1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Responsibility?

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by genuinemommy, Feb 10, 2014.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

What do you do for your aging/ailing parents?
    Do you assist adult siblings?

Do you feel responsible for your extended family?
    Do you ever feel that taking care of your extended family and their issues gets in the way of the very real needs of your immediate family?
    How do you balance it all?

Recently I have been really struggling with understanding parts of my extended family dynamic.
    For years, my parents and siblings were fine with and fully expected me to go off and do my own thing. When I got married, it was the same thing, "Go away and make us proud." But recently, we have been getting some very confusing messages. They all seem to boil down to: "Come home, we need you." I really don't know what to make of it. I expected to contribute financially from a distance, and pretty much have our own little immediate family keep to ourselves. Now it seems they want more and I'm just not equipped to deal with more responsibility on on their end...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

This is a good and timely topic, GM. I was raised in a tight-knit nuclear family, and grew up believing that you stand by your family. If you can't be there for family, I've always believed that you're no good to anybody else. I've tried to practice what I preach, and there have been a number of tests over that past several years, with 3 out of 4 parents now deceased.

It's entirely different when you're in the area vs. being at a distance. We're dealing with that situation now: an elderly parent living with us, with a family member living far away. Your situation is more complex because you have a very little one. Honestly your first priority is to your immediate family. If you can do any good by traveling back to your parents, everyone needs to be realistic about what you can do in the time that you can be there. But you need to force yourself to set reasonable limits; if you can't go, you can't.

By the same token, be as compassionate and understanding as you can with the caretakers at the scene. I can tell you from experience that it's infinitely more painful when you're on site doing the caretaking, especially when it's you parent and not an in-law. At the very least your emotional and financial support will be a great help. And sometimes, it's helpful to just listen. Caretakers need to vent...sometimes a lot. It can be incredibly stressful.

Above all, good luck with whatever path you need to take. Make no mistake, the situation sucks, no matter what you choose to do. All you can do is the best you can. It's impossible to handle it perfectly. If I can ever help in any way, I hope you'll seek me out. I'll be happy to chat anytime.

Good luck to all of you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

My dad...nothing. (he wasn't there most of my life)
    My mom...everything. (my sister & I would do anything for her)

I'm potentially assisting my uncle (my mom's brother), letting him come live with me.
    My sister would never except help from me...too much pride. (her problem, not mine...I wouldn't mind)

Obviously, I'm closer to my mother's side of the family, who I grew up with.

• Like Like x 2
  4. genuinemommy

Thanks, @hamsterball. I will work harder to be there via phone, they still won't call me unless it's some sort of an emergency. I do my best to check in daily and be a good ear. But it's hard sometimes to distinguish between what is just venting and what they actually want me to fix.

@rogue49 - that's the frustrating part. I am at a point in my life where I finally appreciate all my mother has done for me, and want to be there for her, but I am in no position to provide the assistance she requests.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hamsterball

I understand completely, GM, really I do. I've had to pick up fallen parents from the floor more times than I care to count and I've completely lost track of the number of ER visits we've had. Now the final living parent is living with us and it's been a whole new level of stress. You're being a huge help by lending your support. With the current situation, there's frequently a feeling that the other family member should be here to see how hard it is. However, it's not realistic and it doesn't mean that he doesn't care.

Everyone is experiencing a different form of stress through this, starting with the patient. Frequently, the caretakers are the forgotten ones. The best advice for all is to avoid the temptation to become isolated, It doesn't really help at all.

6. genuinemommy

I took care of my grandmother her last year and fully expected to be there for my parents and in-laws. Life is just different sometimes. Battling my own health issues, sending my daughter to day care while I deal with my health... The whole thought of caring for my mother right now is enough to make me have a panic attack. It's just not going to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hamsterball

I know what you mean. I've also learned that the situation seems to hit you much harder when it's your parent, as opposed to an in-law.

• Like Like x 1
  8. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I come from a really close family, I'd do anything for my extended family as long as they ask for it, I think it teaches humility and I have no problem helping anyone. I helped my day build his basement gym, but the thing is that you have to ask for my help.... I'm not being an ass about it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I have separated myself some from my family. I don't get along with my sister, my relations with my brother is strained, and I was never going to achieve unless I relocated away from my family. My parents helped shape me but I developed horrible habits that I still try to shake to this day. Therefore, I suspect the caregiving will fall in my sister's shoulders... Plus, she has the grandkid. She'll probably ask for money from us as it becomes necessary. I provide them emotional support and guidance, but I'm never going to be living at home again, and they know it. I have a life and I'm not sure that they would even ask me to give it up. Because they know how hard I've worked and they are proud of me. Therein lies the difference between my family and many. Giving up things to help family would be a failure in their eyes. To a point. I'm speaking in general terms of money, etc, not illness... Which my family has dealt with since the birth of my brother.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

If this were not in the public forum, my responses could be a novella.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

This is a very tough subject to give a "one size fits all" answer to. What is right for one person/family is not necessarily right for another.

What do I do?

At this point I'm fortunate enough not to need to do much. Both my wife and I are the oldest child, and both of our parents were HS sweethearts who married young and started families young. So our parents are all in their mid/late 50s, and are all in pretty good health. Both of our fathers still work and they are both in a position to take care of themselves financially. So the physical/financial side doesn't have much of a real need yet. There have been a few rare occasions in my parents' case, since they are always doing home improvement projects and there have been a handful of times where my dad needed help moving stuff around or whatever. But that was more of a case of me assisting, subtly picking up the heavy side of something, or grabbing something heavy before he could. Not because he can't (he's still very strong and a very hard worker, much more than any white collar guy in his mid/late 50's has any business being :p ), but because I want to help ease the load when I can. My mom uses me more for an emotional sounding board than she ever has, but she too is in relatively good health.

All of our siblings are married, healthy, and financially independent (to my knowledge). So the same principles apply there for my specific situation. We may provide emotional support or advice when asked or needed, but physically there isn't much they need from us. They are also mostly between 1-2 hours away (one each of our siblings are several states away), so it isn't like we would be called on for minor things either, like babysitting or whatever.

As far as feeling responsible, I do somewhat. But that is admittedly easy to say when there isn't a whole lot required. I will say that I feel a clear difference in responsibility between my parents and my siblings. If my parents need something that they can't do, I feel responsible because they are my parents. They cared for me when I was unable to care for myself as a child. As they get older it will be my responsibility to return that as much as I can. Obviously healthy limits and compromises would be needed. If they needed physical or financial help, they might need to be the ones to move closer to me if I had a stable job/career that wouldn't allow me to go to them, for instance. Again, each situation and decision would have to be made based on what was reasonable. As far as my siblings, I feel less responsible to care for them physically and financially. I would help when I can, or how I can, but if they are healthy adults, that is their responsibility. If a terrible accident or health problem were to come up, I may need to revisit that. But if they are just bearing problems of their own making (financial issues, bad habits, bad relationships, etc.), my help would probably be limited to emotional and mental support/advice. Fortunately the most I've had to deal with really was some with financial hardships (some self inflicted, some because they were younger and not on their feet yet). I did help subsidize a few family trips or gatherings so we could all enjoy things together equally when they might not have been able to afford it completely on their own (my parents also equally helped subsidize it), but that was out of choice, and for something "extra", not a necessity. I feel they would do the same if the circumstances were turned the other way. But as far as someone asking me to relocate to help combat their self-inflicted problems, no I don't think I would consider it. Usually that turns into enabling, and does little/nothing to solve the problem IMO.

Cliffnotes - I feel more responsible for my parents than I do siblings, though I love my siblings very much. If my physical help is needed long term, and I am stable in my job/career, they would likely have to compromise and move close to me for me to give full assistance.

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

This is a hard topic for me to address for a variety of reasons. As Chris said, I can't share that in a public forum. So if my responses seem superficial, there's a good reason for that.

What do I do for my aging/ailing parents? I listen when they need to talk. They live about 8 hours away now, and it's difficult for me to get away to go see them. It has been for many years. I'm working and I have a life here. They understand that it is difficult for me to extricate myself from that.

Do you assist adult siblings? No.

Do you feel responsible for extended family? To an extent, yes. My husband's family is incredibly supportive of us, and we generally repay the favor in kind when someone needs help. My husband fixes a lot of things for people. That's about the limit of our support, though, and that's also about all we're capable of at this point in our lives. My in-laws have been feeling the squeeze from above for a few years now taking care of their ailing parents, so we do what we can to support them, since they are the primary caregivers in a lot of ways.

I have pretty firm boundaries when it comes to caring for myself/caring for others because I work in a profession that requires me to care for others. I know my resources are finite from experience, and I like to preserve enough of my resources for my immediate family. I refuse to feel guilty for the choices I've made. I hope you find that balance, @genuinemommy.

• Like Like x 2
  13. My dad is dead, after years of.... the sort of abuse my sister and I existed with as kids. I dont think love is realy that blind - he must have known - but I loved him, and tried to help him or just visit him - but if I did, they would punish him. When he called for me - they laughed at him and hurt him.
    So.
    If my fathers wife was drowning in a pool, I would not take my foot off her head - but might consider pissing in it.
    If I die before the bitch - I have arranged for a drag queen and a Pakistani chap to represent me :) . She is homophobic - except when it comes to her daughter running around wearing a strap on on swingers nights. She is also terrified of black people - and that starts with the French. She would tell us how black mens sperm can lie dormant in swimming pools, and then when a decent female jumps in, the attack and impregnate her :). Dear Isaac even offered to pee Pakistani urine on the lid of her coffin.
    My big sister escaped. I would love to have contact with her again. I loved my dad and my sister, Janice, but Janice had to escape - and it hurt her that I wanted both of them in my life. She considered my father as bad as the old bitch for he must have known and didnt stop it.
    The other one is a paedophile ex copper, who sold her 12 year old into the world of video - she could go fuck herself - but she would probably just sell another kid - running out of time on that one though, as they are already too old for some scum.
    The eldest was a male. Aged 9, he pushed me down and my face was ripped up bad by broken glass. He tormented my nice sister - he is an utter cunt. I am glad his son is marrying a young lady who is considerable darker of skin tone than the average french person.

I walked away. I have my son and my dogs. They are my family.

However. I do envy those with close family - its something I never had. I have seen some - like a poor kid in a Dickensian Christmas scene, looking through the window.
    I hope my son has a family of his own. Although he is also my carer a bit - I would not want to stand in the way of him having a good life. As a parent of a grown up man, I would want him to put his own family first - but not to ignore me, to not roll his eyes heavenward because mums worrying over nothing again - guess you dont understand the worrying until you have them. I would want him to move away to his own home, to build a family - else when I am gone - who would he have. Not a soul.
    I want my son to be happy. I would not want to steal his life from him - and will always help him when I can - and offer when he wants no help. He can visit sometimes, and tell me of his adventures - and I will probably spruce myself up a bit for the occassion.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  14. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I moved home after my father died to help my family. At the time, my mother had just had surgery and my sister was in jail on a drug charge. The rest of my family is overseas, so I was literally all my mother had in terms of help. It was very rough - took me well over a year and a half to find true direction again, as when I moved home I went from two jobs to being severely underemployed. Now that I am back to being 2 hours away from home, I can help if it is absolutely necessary and they can feel my presence, but I'm far enough away that I don't hear every detail of every problem.

Luckily, too, in the last 5 years my sister has sorted her self out a bit, though now she has a child to keep her in line a bit. My mother is doing a little better, at least, and since she is legally responsible for my nephew at the moment, she's got something to keep her in line, too.

Family, for me, means a lot of drama and a painful past. My dad was an alcoholic, my sister a drug addict (heroin), and my mother a gambler. I just cross my fingers that my mom and sister keep themselves clean with their addictions so that I don't have to do any major cleanup. I can't fix them.

My boyfriend's family is a lot less dramatic and a lot closer, with extended family nearby for support. His father's side of the family does not fit that picture - they are estranged - but his mother's side is large and friendly and very involved. Their level of drama doesn't even approach that of my nuclear family, and so he feels the need to go home and visit a bit less often than I do.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

@genuinemommy "Battling my own health issues, sending my daughter to day care while I deal with my health... The whole thought of caring for my mother right now is enough to make me have a panic attack. It's just not going to happen. "

This.

I mean Sooooooo this. Now release all and any guilt .... cuz it ain't yours. You know you care and that your care is real and it cannot extend any further than is does now or you damage everyone including her grandchild, your child and yourself. And you're not going there. You're doing right.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  16. No and no.

Explanations can be found on other parts of this forum.

17. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

My sister-in-law just moved out. As in packed her shit on Wed and stuck her on a plane on Thur. Good riddence, what a horrible experience.

I'm fine helping people get back on their feet. I'm not so fine with people that feel the world and I owe them. My wife and I love living in the mountains and accept the inconveniences that come with that. SIL can take her suburban mindset and expectations and shove em.

My dad is 86. My youngest sister and brother look out for him for the most part. I do anything they ask, including hopping in my truck or on a plane, as needed.

18. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

My dad won't let me do anything for him except, because we've taken over maintenance, taking care of the cottage in the highlands of Ontario, which I/we am/are to inherit (his choice) upon his passing. We started doing this years ago but now I have access to the CDN bank account so we can repair or do what needs doing without bothering him. Now that my mom is dead, Dad cannot bear to be there for more than a week in the summer (they were at Maple Lake their very first summer together in 1955 and ever since, through his retirement up to when her most serious illness began in 2007).

His house in Maryland is the opposite situation. He cannot bear to leave it and he won't let us do anything other than outside yard work and the initial purging after my mom's death in 2011. I guess we took him too literally and got rid of more than we should have but she never threw anything away... so. A housekeeper comes in once a month. His neighbours shovel his snow (plow it) and he has a ride-around mower in the spring and summer.

He doesn't need us or want us except for visits when he is a great host--loves to cook for everyone.
    I only have a younger sib and as I've recounted many times here, I, pretty much due to being 6 years-older and myself a parentified child, brought him up (raised him). We still have a pseudo-sib/mom thing going though he's been with the same lady since they were 21 and 19 respectively. He does little things though like text for our father's email today--while I was out having my Valentine's late lunch because he himself was at a "cafe." He just assumes I'm home and can tend to his query. I don't mind but I didn't text him at lunch as I had my phone on mute so he got an answer 3 hours after he asked it. He does not complain and actually, I consider our relationship to be among the best I have.

It's been very easy with me being geographically separated from my parents and my father being independent. My spouse is one of 7 sibs--three of whom are sisters in the vicinity to different degrees and three brothers, one of whom deliberately bought a home in the same small town 'grandma' lives in, so we get asked very little. No guilt about that as spouse spent his entire young adult life working for the family company--the only one of the 7 kids. He put up with tons of verbal emotional/abuse from my dear (now departed) father-in-law that took years to get worked through.

Basically, we are there when we are expected to be. I feel a lot more responsibility towards my dad and would be the one to drop everything if he were to get sick again as he did a year ago. The thing is, my dad does not ask for help unless he REALLY needs it. So for example, during this awful winter there have been wellness emails and a few extra phone calls. That isn't doing much at all in my book and I benefit from the peace of mind.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

My father has been dead for years. I kind of wish he was still around.

I would be worried that I'd have to look after my mother but about 25 years ago (or so), she married a man 17 years younger than her. She's pushing into her mid-70s but has a relatively youthful husband to take care of her when she finally needs taking care of.

The real worry for us is my wife's mother. She is a quite needy and not the healthiest of people. Currently, my wife's younger brother and wife bear the brunt of looking after her. It's already become a bit of an issue and selfish as it sounds, I will not be moving back to Canada to take care of her. I would be okay with moving her here, if it came down to it, but I am not moving my life and career back to Canada.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I miss my mom too, Charlatan <hug>.
    I disagree that it "sounds selfish" that you will not forfeit your life and career to move back to Canada. I hope that you don't beat yourself up over it.