1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Rick Santorum (US Republican presidential candidate) trying to bring Jesus into the government

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Mewmew, Jan 17, 2012.

1. bobGandalf

bobGandalf Vertical

With all due respect......have you watched or listened to anything he has said recently?

2. redux

redux Very Tilted

Because Santorum is running for president and his policies and proposals, if enacted, would impact the entire country as opposed to Muslims who simply want to practice Sharia law within their own community.

And the fact that so-called "small government" Republicans around the country are already enacting legislation around the country to restrict or impose new government mandates on women's reproductive rights.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Also known as "faith-based legislation."

4. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

I don't support any "faith based legislation". The risk is there regardless of a specific religion. Guarding against those risks requires diligence, either from an extreme Christian agenda or a Muslim one.

The explanations provided are inadequate, in my opinion.

5. bobGandalf

bobGandalf Vertical

" Guarding against those risks requires diligence, either from an extreme Christian agenda or a Muslim one."

That is a very confusing comment....not sure where you are coming from.
    Is this the type of "extreme Christian" you're talking about?

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...ons-article-1.1031283?localLinksEnabled=false

Certainly makes me feel great! (Deep sarcasm)

6. Pixel

Pixel Getting Tilted

All religions practice their own set of laws within the US as long as they do not go against the laws of the state and federal government. Some even have state and federal laws rewritten to accommodate their laws (looking toward Salt Lake City).

7. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i think this is the sort of song that one really likes on rainy afternoons that find you thinking about dancing later in a club you're not hip enough to know about.

8. Aceventura

Limbaugh's comments were tasteless and lacks class, similar to comments made by some left leaning entertainers regarding conservatives like Palin. Both are wrong. However, this is not the issue. Entertainers have the right to free speech, if Limbaugh crossed a legal line I expect he will be sued.

This illustrates my concern.

I admit a certain level of ignorance when it comes to Sharia Law and what some people expect in the context of its application in the US. I have questions, I have researched the issue only to walk away with conflicting findings. Regarding extreme Christianity, people have taken weird positions in the name of God and have wanted to impose the views on others. For example inter-racial marriage in the past. And even Gay marriage today. I would never ask a church to sanction gay marriage. But in the eye of the law every individual should bee treated the same. I don't think gay marriage would be allowed under Sharia Law - in this regard some Christians and some Muslims share a view that I do not.

9. Baraka_Guru

You should probably stop using Fox News as a source for anything other than entertainment:

If you want to talk about Sharia law in relation to U.S., perhaps begin at a better starting point.

10. Aceventura

Stop using Fox News? I use many sources for news, I have the ability to filter, determine context, and critically listen. During the day I have the luxury of being able to listen to cable news shows - I listen to MSNBC as much as I listen to Fox. Neither corrupts.

You assume my starting point, that is presumptuous. I shared that clip because it was easy to imbed and illustrates information efficiently.

11. Baraka_Guru

My point is that if you want to discuss the matter, you should probably use a source that isn't specious at best and propagandic at worst. If you use many sources for news, I highly recommend something at least moderately credible.

Sharing information isn't simply about efficiency. You should be more judicious in your selection. I'm sure there are many other clips out there that would serve you better.

12. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

How nice of you to gloss over the part where Baraka_Guru refuted the point made in the clip with firm evidence, Ace.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baraka_Guru

The irony, I think, is that most of the "legitimate concerns" about Sharia law in the U.S. are based on this kind of misinformation (whether intentional or not), all the while the "legitimate legitimate concerns" about religion and law should be based on what's happening each night during the GOP debates.

And you guys know how much I loves me some irony!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

If Rick Santorum were elected President, what gives you the naive idea he wouldn't be looking to impose his religious view on you? He's undeterred by the thinnest of reeds when it comes to how far he's willing to go to force his morality down it. (I hate ending a sentence with a preposition)

Listen to what he's spouting off, for goodness sake. It's more than rhetoric. He believes it all and has been trying to hawk this bizarro religious shit for years. Only difference now is, he has an audience who believe it too.

My money's on Santorum in the race for the most legitimate fear.

15. Aceventura

Thanks coach.

Why do you consistently take one reason for doing something as the only reason? I rarely see anything done for a single reason.
    Did you not understand the context for the use of the video? If you didn't why not ask for elaboration, rather than being prematurely judgmental?
    Why are you addressing me, rather than the issue? If you perceive my point as irrelevant why not just say so, or ignore my post?

I thought I clearly communicated what I wanted to communicate in the manner in which I wanted to communicate it.

I am not trying to impress anyone. In fact on this issue I seek a greater understanding. The clip, involving a Muslim women, much more knowledgeable than I illustrated a view in conflict with other things - your focus is not directed at the content of what she says, but at some superficial style issue. What's up with that???
    --- merged: Mar 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM ---
    Yes, I did miss it. Please clarify.
    --- merged: Mar 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM ---
    Here we go again. So you are the arbiter of what is legitimate???
    --- merged: Mar 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM ---
    I don't.

I don't support Santorum. I will not vote for Santorum. Currently Buddy Reomer, Independent, has my support - and I will most likely volunteer and work on his campaign.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  16. Baraka_Guru

Wow, Ace, you clearly have missed the point.

Unless it was me who did.

Were you trying to make a point of how Fox misinforms the public about Sharia law? And that's why we should all be concerned about Sharia law, because of misinformation? That we should concentrate on finding out what's what from what's bullshit, because, you know, we might get surprised by Sharia law?

Help me out here, man. I can't follow you. What's your point?

I know the issues of Sharia law and Muslim culture in other countries. I'm aware of Western culture's criticisms of a lot of what's going on in these other countries. However, I thought you were talking about the U.S.

Please clarify. What are you talking about?

17. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Yet you will make the claim that Santorum's brand of religiosity is not to be feared over the dire spectre of Sharia Law. Sounds like a defense of Rick Santorum, but ok.

I had to look him up. Buddy, that is.

He laid out his platform in an interview with Ezra Klein here

I liked what he had to say until this:

Whatever their thing is? To be fair, Ezra didn't ask him any question about social issues, but really? Is that what he thinks we do?

He's the candidate one would expect to come riding in at the midnight hour with a satchel full of one dose fixes all tonics and down home remedies to heal what's been ailing the townsfolk. He's proudly identified all the warts as if nobody had noticed them before. He has no chance of winning, of course. and though it would be wonderful if he could implement things like campaign reform (overriding the Supreme Court decision), in the likelihood he did, it's unlikely he'd be any more successful at getting that accomplished than Obama has been.

18. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Being Jewish, I might find this objectionable.

However, no need; just on pure idiocy and extreme thoughts...I'm not partial to him.
    --- merged: Mar 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM ---
    Oh yeah...any of my faith, whatever it is...
    I'm a true believer in the separation of church & state.
    No religion should be given priority in policy or law.

He's just another fool trying to put his self-righteous opinions above my right to live my life as I see fit.
    You do as you do, I'll leave you alone.
    And everything being even, I'd ask you kindly to STFU about mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  19. bobGandalf

bobGandalf Vertical

The names of his sponsors are on the bottom if you wish to write them. Also included U.S. link to all the stations he is on. ....just in case you're in the mood to let them hear your view.

[​IMG]

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/stations
    --- merged: Mar 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM ---

That guy is self-destructing and he doesn't even know it. He makes the his robot contender (Mitt) seem semi-normal.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  20. Baraka_Guru

You have to try really hard to make the guy wearing the magic underwear look like the moderate.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    • Like Like x 2