1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Ridiculously pretentious food blog.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

This is a blog by an acquaintance of mine:

http://30at1250.blogspot.com/

He is a food snob (and a real snob in general, truth be told) whose wife basically bet him that he couldn't go 30 days of eating meals that cost less than $12.50 each. They are both young lawyers with no kids, so they tend to eat out constantly, and he spends lots of money on expensive meals and nights out. While he is truly a snob (thus an acquaintance, not a friend, lol), his schtick is writing as if he's even more of a snob than he really is. So he created this blog to document the bet. For best results, start at the bottom/beginning of the blog and work your way through it from the start.

2. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

hah, good read, thanks.

3. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Couldn't do it, after I hit the line about "feeling like a cube monkey, eating a ham sandwich during a timed lunch" I killed the window. I don't feel like reading about my own "poor-man meals" being thrown back in my face.

I was going to give him a shot, I like reading some assholes' writings (operator from hell, tucker max, ect), but not this guy.

4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I have a hard time spending more than $10 on any given meal if it is just for me, no matter how my account looks for the moment.
    One of my first thoughts was "I should put a guy like this in my 'end of the world' story as a survivor who has to cope with the whatever he can find kind of meals"

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I think it's a bit over the top, personally. I think his snobbishness would come through as less assholeish if he didn't use the language he chooses to use.

I also find it kind of offensive, considering many people can't afford meals that cost more than that. Hell, we're lucky if we do get to go out to eat. I sincerely hope that guy is donating his savings to a food bank or similar charity that helps low-no income people find food.

6. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Trust me, his being over the top is part of what he thinks gives him some sort of elite status (I disagree, I think it's often a tiring schtick). At best it is mildly entertaining if you can put up with it. As I said in the OP, part of the reason I don't consider him a friend (or desire to be his friend) is because he's too much of a snob for my tastes.

7. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Total agreement from me, Borla.

I so did not like it.

The only redemption was: "I was honestly so famished I could have eaten a live honey badger (he don't give a fuck)."
    ... that phrase reminded me of something I DID like. Wasn't Honey Badger on a thread in the old forum?

8. I'm sure the ramblings of a self-absorbed, elitist fuckhead like that are appealing to someone out there on the 'net but it's just not for me. I can see why you don't consider him a friend.

9. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

^^^ +1

Hi Borla, I was thinking about him today ... I've known people like that who've done that kind of thing in the area of books, films and music. What I don't like about them is that they throw a shame bomb on one aspect of experience, whilst potentially giving a bad name to the other aspect of experience by siding with it. I see more insidious versions of unfairly stacked bigging up and smalling down among some IMDB 'critics' ... content submerged beneath those who use it primarily as a platform.

Edit: Bloody Epiphanes. I wish they'd make appointments. I'm realising there are plenty of times when I have avoided perfectly magnificent works because the pretensiosi have gone bukkake all over it.