1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CinnamonGirl, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The Brazilian Women's Beach Volleyball team fell apart today, will be playing for bronze.

The Germans kicked ass.

2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I feel like they should start a bobsled team together now :)

In all seriousness, though, THAT is why I love the Olympics. (see my previous comment about being a bit of a sap.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. CinnamonGirl

Shit, this beach volleyball game is intense (USA vs Brazil.) The pups are upset with me for yelling.

--- merged: Aug 17, 2016 4:05 AM ---
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

Damn.

Damn.

Damn.

The US Women's Beach Volleyball team played very poorly last night, while the Brazilian team did just about everything right. Kerri Walsh Jennings played possibly the worst two sets of her career.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I think it is harsh too. The one I feel for is the French woman who swam 10k just to get disqualified at the finishline.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CinnamonGirl

Yeah, my throat hurt from screaming (pups were not amused.) There were some amazing volleys going on, but not enough in USA'S favor. :(

• Like Like x 1
  7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

USA basketball finally woke up again.

Hopefully the recent close games will cause them to make better roster choices in the future.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  8. Chris Noyb

WTF, NBC?

You kept mentioning showing the bronze medal match in Women's Beach Volleyball, USA v. Brazil, but when you finally get around to showing it you cut the first set. It shouldn't matter that the Brazilian team won the first set.

This game was about pride. Neither team met the high expectations of playing for a gold medal, but it had to be especially tough for the top Brazilian team.

---------------

On that note, congratulations to

Germany

for their impressive Gold medal victory.

9. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

From what I've seen, the NBC coverage is fairly pathetic. CBC is pretty well full time all day, which is great. But I never see the medal ceremonies. Even for the ones where we get a Bronze or Silver, I would still like to see the podium celebration. Is it just me? Am I just turning away from the TV at the time it is showing, or is it being downplayed this time around?

The Sports Network has great live coverage too, as well as SportsNet. CBC has incorporated 23 live feeds into their online App including a virtual reality version ( Experience Rio Live in Virtual Reality with Visa and CBC ) . I mean to try it later today.

Some interesting observations:

- the Usain Bolt / Andre De Grasse bromance is serving to be very entertaining (can't wait for the 200 m final)
    - Is it (also ) just me, or is the sheer number of the medal wins by the US just making you look for the silver/bronze battles? I mean, what's going on down there, almost a hundred medals?? Doesn't it get boring?
    - the US swimmers robbery drama. Now that's something else to watch
    - Rio winter weather: sure reminds me a lot of my stay in Melbourne. Unpredictable.
    - The Russians. Such (unfounded) pride. Such (founded ) arrogance. I feel bad for the athletes. And I don't. I still can't separate the Russian invasion of Crimea from the lack of spirit at the Sochi Olympics.
    - Men's Decathlon Drama: Ashton Eaton (US) leads Damian Warner ( Canada) by 115 points after 7 of 10 events. Not only is Eaton married to local girl (Heptathlete Brianne Thiesen-Eaton) and getting all kinds of hater grief from the internet trolls, He is battling her team mate for the top spot.
    - Olympic Flag Flap: speaking of trolls, some columnist had the audacity to call the Canadian flag poorly designed and the most boring at the Olympics. Yes, believe it or not, the same Red & White that graces most top 10 vexillologist's list for ideal flag design is trashed. How many flags are just 3 stripes? Or 2? No immediately identifyable, simple symbology? Or overly complicated with multiple shields, animals, stars, colours?

Well, back to watching the decathlon.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Just how high did Derek Drouin jump? - CNN.com

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Bolt again. Good for him. Awesome to see.

12. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

The gold medal game was on at 12:35am here, but it might have been a replay. Then again, the Bronze medal game didn't get over until 11:40pm or something. WTF, Olympics? Why were all the games at night?

I was cheering for Brazil in the gold medal match though.

The Soccer/futebol match on Saturday will be a huge rematch between Brazil and Germany in the afternoon. But, it won't be on NBC...
    Brazil vs. Germany (20 Aug. 2016) | 2016 Olympics Final | Football | Athlet.org

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The drama was for bronze.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris Noyb

You have to give

the Italian Men's Volleyball team

credit for having grit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

That soccer game will go down as one of the best ever in Brazil. They are probably going to party all night and through the closing ceremonies.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chris Noyb

My interest in the 2016 Olympics officially ended with the Men's Indoor Volleyball gold medal match.

I'm puzzled. The Italians made many mistakes, yet each of the three sets was tight. What does that say about the Brazilian team :confused:? Of course now it really doesn't matter since they took the gold in three straight sets.
    --- merged: Aug 21, 2016 at 4:51 PM ---

Tomorrow will probably be a national day off in Brazil, like anyone will show up regardless, since the men's teams won gold in both of their top sports.
    --- merged: Aug 21, 2016 at 5:20 PM ---
    Oops almost forgot.

One of the US male divers is named,

and I'm not making this up,

Steele Johnson.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016
  17. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

If he has a Steele Johnson he can probably get away with Jack Ingitoff on the sofa's edge.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Chris Noyb

Only if the sofa was made by Steelcase.

• Like Like x 1