1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Robin Williams

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Street Pattern, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

This saddens me in a way most premature celebrity deaths don't, and not just because it was suicide. He was a force of nature, maybe the greatest improvisational comic who ever lived. And he had real talent as a dramatic actor, too. It's a combination which is exceedingly rare.

I loved him in "Good Will Hunting," "Aladdin," and "Dead Again." He changed my life in "Dead Poets Society:" that film is one of the reasons I wanted to be a teacher.

But man, did his standup dazzle! His concerts were always amazing, but I think maybe my favorite performance of his was on "Inside The Actors Studio." His interview was funny, smart, deep; but when he got up and started doing his thing, he was phenomenal. At one point, he snags a shawl from a woman in the audience, and spends like 25 minutes using it to riff with-- like hilarious, beyond funny. I cried, I laughed so hard.

I really feel like the world is lesser for his loss. Very few performers of any kind could make me think that, but he was like a natural resource of the planet. I hope he finds peace wherever he ends up.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

In honor of him...no, to celebrate him...and keeping it irreverent, ironic and full of laughter...just like Monty Python did for Graham Chapman's urn bit.

This is at the start of his career gueststaring on the legndary Carol Burnette show (of course, she had him...)
    And he's gotten her to laugh mid-skit, just like Tim Conway used to do...(there are 2 bits, it's the 2nd go)
    You'll find yourself laughing your ass off...a classic.
    What better way to remember him?
    Hope you like, but I know you will...it's Robin Williams. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I'm younger than some, and at an age with others here. To me, Robin Williams isn't a person. He's like some kind of edifice, some entity that is beyond such petty things like suffering or grief or doubt or loss. He's always been there, and always will be. Telling me that he's died just doesn't make sense. Imagine someone told you the Statue of Liberty died. Does not compute. These words do not go together.

But of course, he was none of those things. He was a person with the same frailties and foibles and follies that are inherent to all of us. And now he's gone.

I don't think I've fully processed this. It feels a bit unreal, like it just hasn't taken root yet. I feel like I'm actually going to grieve at some point, like I never have for a celebrity. Like you do for family. And maybe that's a little inappropriate. It seems odd that I could feel such a depth of emotion for someone whom I've never met. It's what I feel though, so there you go.

I've been reading and watching a lot about this. I mean, we all have, because it's everywhere. It's unavoidable. What really struck me though was watching Conan break the news to his audience. Watching Will Arnett speak, so clearly on the verge of tears. It struck me that I'm watching three men who are grieving for a beloved friend, and that was far more meaningful than any other article or clip could be to me.

Conan Salutes Robin Williams @ TeamCoco.com

• Like Like x 2
  4. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. redravin

• Like Like x 2
  6. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I really liked the Cracked article, @redravin. This whole issue is a struggle for me because of my field. I'm frustrated and angry at people who are sensationalizing his death and at the coroner's office for releasing such details. It's opening up such an opportunity for copycats. But, I'm also sad. Behind every comedian is a terrible childhood, I believe the article said. I don't think Robin Williams be happy with the state of things.
    And, Fuck you, Westboro Baptist Church, if what they're saying is true. I'm going to take a break from some of the social media trending on this tragedy for a few days. My heart is heavy. For him and his family... And so many who struggle with depression. Especially since it takes something like this to bring mental health issues back into the news.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

When I was young, I was a fairly introverted kid. In the summer of 1983 I bought his comedy album, The Throbbing Python of Love. Sure, I had watched Mork and Mindy, I'd seen his original appearance on Happy Days, but this album was something new. I listened to it over and over until I could recite it verbatim. Every cadence. Every quirk and pause.

It was the same summer that I made my first summer friends. I discovered that they liked it when I performed Robin's act for them. It made them laugh (it also got me my first kiss). I discovered a love of performance. I found a confidence I didn't know I had.

I went on to act in all the school plays, perform in the school variety shows and become a bonafide class clown. This carried on through University, where I continued to act, took a stab at standup and did a tonne of radio. I would argue that improv is how I get through every day. I make it up as I go along.

Through all these years, I have, like everyone else, watched Williams' career go from crazed comedian to serious drama and back again. He was always a force of nature. I continued to hear that he was a solid mensch. All admirable. To me he was not Mork. He was not a character. He was the guy that showed me the way.

There was an episode of Mork and Mindy where Mork meets Robin Williams. In the interview, he revealed that he was once a lonely introverted kid that liked to perform in his bedroom and found that people thought what he was doing was funny. He was the guy that showed the way.

Hearing of his death, I listened to Throbbing Python of Love. It was a salve. It's still a very funny album. I found myself mouthing the words along with him. He has always been a part of me, not that it would be obvious to anyone but me. His influence on me was small but so very important to who I think I am today.

There's no other way to put it, the news of his death left me gutted.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

That's a great tribute, @Charlatan, and you touched on many of the things I'm feeling. I grew up with his movies.

Unlike so many other celebrity deaths, this one feels real.

• Like Like x 2
  9. redravin

I have to heartily agree with snowy.
    That is a wonderful tribute @Charlatan.

10. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

I have enjoyed the majority of Williams' work (both comedic and dramatic), but the one image of him that has stood out all these years was the picture of him donating blood after the 9/11 attacks.

Another story I have heard was that Steven Spielberg, during the filming of Schindler's List, suffered from depression and would call up Williams, asking him to make him laugh. Williams was more than accommodating. [​IMG]

Although he had talent, I think the world is also going to miss this man's generosity.

Also, because I am not as good with words as pictures, this is my own personal tribute to the man:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. redravin

Thanks @MeltedMetalGlob
    I think he would have appreciated that I know I did.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rogue49

Agreed
    And this one is going into my picture collection.
    Come on...an "original" @MeltedMetalGlob piece about Robin Williams?? That's got to be worth something some day.

I'm just waiting for the coffee table book of your collection to come out. :cool:

I know I want it more than Kim K's selfies.
    That's right, your ass is worth more than her's...just not as pretty.

I'm sure RW would agree.
    Man, from what I heard...he'd be the first one cheering you on...and encouraging you to "out" your talent.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Jonathan Winters and Robin Williams.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rogue49

Just watched him in The Birdcage
    and a series of clips of his talk-show bests.

I'm finding myself reading and saving every article I can find on him.
    And I didn't realize it, but he was a role-model for me...with my humor and bantering style.
    Over the top, talking a mile a minute...stream of consciousness...hands, body, story after story and sarcasm & voices galore...If he could do it, I could do it.

He meant a lot to me...and now, no more.
    How will I get my fix?? Reruns...

Sir Williams...thank you for helping me be me.
    Annoying or not...it's who I am.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Shrink, a 2009 "small" film that you might not have seen, features Robins Williams in a small but important role as an ageing alcoholic who sleeps wth much younger women. Kevin Spacey plays the shrink who relies on pot to keep his sanity.

17. rogue49

Rob Schneider blames Robin Williams' suicide on drugs for Parkinson's disease

Now, I don't know if this is legit or not...or Rob is being paranoid or not.
    However, the potential of it IS legit.
    RW may have been affected by his meds...or it added to it...or it may have not. This is ambiguous...but it is a potential variable.

I've had real life experience with this, in my previous support role with my Ex and her 3 auto-immune diseases.
    The illness affected her mental/emotionally...either directly or just by the situation.

And the meds she took...either for the disease themselves, to repress, to deal with symptoms or just for emotional stability...the DID affect her.
    Not just the illness itself...or her dealing with it...but you could SEE a before & after affect of her taking them.
    You have to be aware and adjust them...see what works, what doesn't...and if there are ANY adverse side-affects, known or unknown...physical OR mental.

And at times...if it was listed...she seemed to get it.

And unfortunately, often Big Pharm kind of sweeps it under the rug or rationalizes it, to either make money or to get "something" out.
    Basically, when you take a drug...you are signing off that it "may" affect you...you have to pay attention, both you AND whomever is around you.
    Then you have to take steps to correct or adjust with your doctor, as soon as you do note it.
    Unfortunately, you have to take it...and get "hit" ...and note it...before you can correct it.

RW, may have been an unfortunate victim here.
    BUT, this blurs together with ALL the other variables which may or may not been a factor to his final decision.
    It's very complicated...and even the best doctors get it wrong sometimes.
    And even the best people may miss the subtle changes.

In the end, he at least made the most of his life...more so than most of us...and shared an incredible gift during it to make our lives better.
    I think that's more than most of us can ask of anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

personally there will never be anyone like himm again, he was widly populay for 30+ years. he made, us, our parents, and our kids laugh. he woll be missed

• Like Like x 1
  19. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

When I met Robin Williams, he was exactly the man you would expect him to be. He was filming a movie at the school where I work and he knew he had fans all around. If you were clearly nervous about approaching him he'd stand near you nonchalantly, glancing over and trying to keep a straight face. If you were starstruck and glancing over at him looking excited, he'd do the same right back to you. After a few seconds he'd laugh and introduce himself, genuinely happy to meet a fan.

He was filming this scene shown in this shot of Old Dogs. Between takes, if there was a big crowd watching from the balconies out of frame, he would walk up to the big window you see behind him, lift his shirt up, and press his chest against the glass while making funny faces at you.

What a hilarious, talented, likable person he was. The world is a darker place without him.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Like Like x 1