1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Rocksmith: kinda like Rock Band/Guitar Hero...but with a REAL guitar

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Baraka_Guru, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The videos do better than anything I could write here at the moment.

One thing I'll say, this looks pretty exciting if it actually is as cool as it seems.

What do you think?

2. Nikilidstrom

Nikilidstrom Vertical

This looks awesome. Just curious knowing the cost of some tab and note books how much they are going to charge for add on tracks, and if they are going to be reproductions or originals.

3. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I'm going to have to go ahead and get this.

4. Baraka_Guru

"As is," the track list has some pretty awesome songs on it:

As for comparing the cost of add-on tracks, it's important to keep in mind the benefit of the game above and beyond what any tab book can offer you. If it's as good as it seems it is, this is like a dream come true for those wanting to learn guitar.

I can attest to the effectiveness of video lessons above and beyond what you can learn from the page. (Though people's learning styles differ.) This game is like a fusion of the two. I think it's a fantastic idea.

I remember thinking back during the height of Guitar Hero/Rock Band and how it would be cool to be able to use a real guitar. At the time, it was just wishful thinking and I never really dwelled on it. Now that I see someone is developing it (and this soon), I'm pretty excited.

However, I have reservations. My barrier to getting this is I will need to do one or more of the following: 1) repair the wiring in the jack on my crappy electric guitar, 2) install a pickup on my acoustic guitar, or 3) buy a new electric guitar.

All said, if they end up charging $1 to $3 per add-on track or something like that, I'd say that's reasonable. It's difficult to put a price on the pleasure of learning a song you like and learning it well (and quickly)—and having fun while doing it.

5. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i am super excited about this, although i'm also jealous of people who are just starting out on guitar. it took me years of practicing boring stuff to be able to play anything decent. with this it seems to have a progression where you can play the song from day one even if it's only hitting 1 note of the chords at a time. i think it will make guitar much less frustrating for many people.

6. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I've already put this on my Xmas list. I think I'll buy the package that comes with a guitar, or I could use my daughter's.

7. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

The world already has enough people who think they can play guitar.

I don't know if I'll bother. It's a neat concept I guess, but the make or break is going to be in the execution. I can also see a lot of people trying to use this in lieu of lessons or proper instruction, which I think might be a mistake. There's a lot more to playing guitar than just hitting the right notes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Baraka_Guru

Trust me, it probably isn't nearly as bad as retired English teachers who think they automatically know how to edit a book.

I wouldn't overthink it. I look at this as another tool at the guitar player's disposal. It sure beats some of those really crappy tabs you get online (and in books!).

But you're right: it will depend on execution.

In the meantime, I'll stick to books and JamPlay.com.

9. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

It looks good for practice, at the very least. Who gives a crap if it doesn't make musicians out of people? What does it matter if they have an inflated opinion of what they do, for that matter?

If you take pride in the craft of playing guitar, good on you. Most people just want to have fun and play. I fall in the latter group, and could care less if someone considered me a serious musician, though I do have some musical education and will probably get more in the future.

10. Fly

Fly music is the answer

if this gets some new guy or gal into playing guitar.......that's awesome.

music is so enjoyable especially when you can make it yourself........i hope this helps people out,kind of a neat idea.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Rocksmith has an Epiphone Les Paul Junior bundle for $200 coming out.

[​IMG]

Have any of y'all played one of these? If so, are they good guitars?

12. Baraka_Guru

According to the Wikipedia entry, it's just a stripped down guitar. Nothing fancy, but it will work. In other words: not a bad guitar for the purpose of this game, i.e., learning how to play.

Apparently, John Lennon used the Gibson version in his post-Beatles years.

My electric is pretty much in the same category. It does what I want it to do, which is allow me to play electric guitar.

I wouldn't mind having this Epiphone. It looks nicer than Peavey, which is white with a black pick guard.

13. Fremen

That sounds good. Thanks, Baraka_Guru.

I suspect it would be too much to ask if these things sound good without being plugged in.

14. Baraka_Guru

Electrics? Not really. It's pretty tinny. Think of it as like listening to music through headphones but whilst not being able to wear the headphones. Kind of like that.

Sure you can practice on an unplugged electric, just don't expect it to sound good.

Electrics only really come alive when plugged in, even if it's that clean electric sound the classic rockers played.

15. Fremen

Ok, well, do you know of a good (I hate to say cheap, but cheap) acoustic/electric guitar that would fill the bill?
    I want to play this game, but I'd also want to take the guitar places, and not have to buy an amp.

16. Baraka_Guru

It sounds like you're asking for the impossible. You can get an acoustic with a pickup that you could use with the game, but they aren't cheap.

You can only have two out of the three options; you aren't likely to find all three:

1) Affordable
    2) Can be plugged in
    3) Doesn't need an amp

There is a workaround, perhaps: get a cheap acoustic and spend $100 or less on installing a pickup on it. Not sure if it's worth it though, as I'd be reluctant to get a "cheap" guitar for any reason.

17. Fremen

Damn, I was afraid of that. Alright, thanks for the advice, Baraka. :)

Maybe I'll get lucky and find a deal on Craigslist.

18. Fly

Fly music is the answer

my buddy has an Epi Les Paul junior but......did not purchase it with the game.

it's a nice player Fre......very easy to handle and quite light.......not like the slab bodied guitars i have...........if you're thinking about it,do it!

and maybe take a look at the semi hollow and hollow body electrics,some of them sound rather nice unplugged.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Toxic515

Toxic515 New Member

It all really depends on what your core need is. That particular epiphone will be fine for playing the game, and frankly for some playing. It's not a high end guitar, obviously, it's a beginner level guitar. With a proper setup, these days, even a beginner guitar can be a decent playing axe. If you're more interested in actually playing guitar, I'd recommend taking a trip to your local guitar shop and looking around really well. An electric guitar as an instrument has 2 main parts, the guitar and the amp. It's a two part purchase. Several manufacturers make rather good acoustic electrics at decent prices. I have absolutely NO idea if that will work with the game, however, as an acoustic pickup is usually piezo, rather than magnetic. A hollow body electric, such as an Epi DOT, or a Gretsch Electromatic 5120 can do quite well without an amp, but it's not going to give you the body, volume, or sound of an acoustic. Generally speaking, for a beginner, an electric is actually easier to play, and having a decent small practice amp, a-la Fender MustangI or the little Vox boxes will help you with motivation, because it's pretty easy to get some great sounds out of it in a short amount of time. Once you choose what KIND of guitar, and find one that you like the feel of, then you can start hunting for price. Craigslist can be a good resource, but be careful. Warped necks, crappy (replaced) electronics, and all other ilk abound. (as do good deals) Just make sure you understand what you're buying. I frequent a website called FrugalGuitarist. You might blip around on that site, and check out the forums about good deals, and which frugal items are the highest quality. I have one of the SG Juniors that I picked up at a garage sale for next to nothing that I play all the time. It's nice because I don't care if it gets dinged up or whatever, and it doesn't sound bad. (it doesn't compete with my higher end guitars for sound, but for just goofing off, it's great)

• Like Like x 1
  20. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I should be less snobby maybe.

Les Paul Juniors are quite decent as a starter instrument, and it actually seems like a sensible include for the game. For learning purporses a $40 practice amp should do you.

As far as acoustic electrics go, define expensive. You can get some very reasonable Cort or Takamine instruments in the $300-$400 range. You might even find one $250ish if you shop around. Or you could buy an acoustic as a separate instrument -- if you're not stuck on the idea of having a pickup in your acoustic $200 for a reasonable starter instrument is very doable.

• Like Like x 1