1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Rocksmith: kinda like Rock Band/Guitar Hero...but with a REAL guitar

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Baraka_Guru, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I haven't really needed this until recently. I'm going with the preset progressions and not worrying about doing better than necessary to keep going through the songs. I need to practice that one Kings of Leon song before I can move on.

The thing with the 5 times though? It puts pressure on you to get it right within the allotted time. Personally, I'm not opposed to it.

The chord game is cool. The duck game is pretty fun too, and it's something I need to help me automatically navigate the guitar neck. I think the baseball one is kinda lame. I guess I haven't given it enough of a chance.

Me neither. I'm not sure I'd like that though. However, it might be easier for me, since that's what I'm used to. Have you tried it?

I'm starting to see a few songs where I've played it a few times now and am seeing it flesh out more fully. Not quite at full song on any of them though. I haven't played nearly as much as you, by the sound of it.

I thought it was just me. I thought I was accidentally bending the E string while playing the riff, and assuming it was because the changes were quick and the string is looser. I only tried it once though, but I thought it registered better when I was more careful with my finger placement.

Dude...I'm nowhere near the epicenter. I'm still playing the small clubs..... :oops: I'm just a local act.

I'm sure they'll patch it soon enough.

2. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i tried inverted which is technically standard tab notation and found it much easier to recognize notes and chords. if i was a beginning player not knowing any better i think it would be awkward to play this game and then try to play a song off an internet tab. the default should of been inverted in my opinion.

3. Baraka_Guru

Today on Rocksmith's Facebook page, they dropped a teaser poster for upcoming DLC, along with this message:

• Like Like x 1
  4. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i'm wondering what the word is from people who haven't played guitar before. yesterday my friend who doesn't play guitar but is a beast on the guitar hero games tried this and did way better than i did at first. i think a lot of it just has to do with the arcade game format that i'm not used to. although i'm starting to recognize the notes better now.

5. Baraka_Guru

As promised, they've started adding DLC. They posted the two bonus songs they had with the preorder package plus another Black Keys song.

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/tracklist/index.aspx

On November 15, they're supposed to be adding a few more, including Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water," much to the delight of aspiring guitar players everywhere. :p

http://videogamewriters.com/upcoming-rocksmith-dlc-features-deep-purple-boston-allman-brothers-28234

Songs are $2.99 each. That's three times the cost of iTunes, sure, but they aren't just music tracks, of course. At least it will make me be choosy with what I download.

Maybe they'll eventually come up with song packs or some other deal to bring the song unit price down.

Still think it's too expensive? This post on the Ubisoft forums makes a good argument for the pricing:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baraka_Guru

They just announced on their Facebook feed that they're bringing heavy metal to DLC soon.

7. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i can't wait. there's a few songs on rocksmith i really like and a few more that i didn't know about that i now enjoy. however, the lack of metal was driving me crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Baraka_Guru

Same here. I've discovered some bands/music in this game that I really like. (The Black Keys rawk.)

I was just on the website. Apparently, of the new DLC, one of them is XBL only: "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple. I wonder why that is. If they're going to go all exclusive between the systems, it's going to suck.

I wants me some Deep Purple!

/PS3

9. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

ps3 here too and i can only guess it has to do with licensing issues? doesn't make any sense.

this game really is helping my guitar playing tremendously. i'm starting to get pretty deep into some of the solos now too, but they are pretty daunting. plus, skyrim isn't helping my practice time much lately.

i haven't got any of the dlc yet but will probably end up with the boston song and freebird soon.

just saw the facebook post and they have a picture of dave mustaine's guitar. so some megadeth would definitely make me happy :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baraka_Guru

I received "Free Bird" for free when I preordered the game. The solo is insane to play. The game gives you half the notes and it still is overwhelming. I've only been through it twice though.

I have Skyrim too. Though I've been so busy with freelance work recently, I haven't been playing either. Not that I mind; it's this kind of work that finances these kinds of purchases I make. :)

I don't see why "Smoke on the Water" only on XBL would be a licensing issue. Maybe they're still working on it for PSN and they need to finalize something or other. I don't know why a licensing issue would say yes to XBL but no to PSN for any reason. Of course, I don't know much about video game distribution and licensing. Maybe I'll look it up to see what they're saying about it.

11. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

got freebird, more than a feeling, jessica, and i hate everything about you. its refreshing to play some new stuff now. i was in guitar center yesterday and they had this game on display as well.

12. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

played the megadeth dlc this evening. the songs are very humbling to say the least. i'm really enjoying public enemy number 1. i can't wait to see someone play the 12 solos, or however many it is, from hangar 18 though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Baraka_Guru

They finally have "Smoke on the Water" available on PSN.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Baraka_Guru

How awesome is this?

They're giving away a free DLC holiday song pack.

Plus you can download the audio tracks for free: http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/holidays/

• GOD REST YE MERRY, GENTLEMEN, Brian Adam McCune
    • WE THREE KINGS, VersusThem
    • CAROL OF THE BELLS, Seth Chapla

I've checked these out already. They're among the least annoying Christmas songs I've heard this season.

15. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Dadgum them, putting off the PC version.

16. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

17. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

ya they are pretty cool xmas songs. especially carol of the bells. would of preferred trans siberian orchestra version or their wizards in winter song, but beggars cant be choosers. free dlc is cool.
    --- merged: Dec 22, 2011 2:12 AM ---
    i think the problem with a pc version of this game is that from week one of launch you will have people grabbing the tabs from ps3 (as well as thousands of other songs that are already tabbed on the internet) and uploading them freely to pc via mods and hacks. i think their might be more money to lose than to gain by releasing pc version.

18. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I can't help that. They should have never promised a PC version, if that was the case. Anyway, instead of buying a new game system, and the game, I decided to buy a more expensive computer, and wait for the game to come out... If they hadn't promised a pc version, I would have instead just upgraded my computer with newer parts, and got an XBox. Feeling freshly fucked, is all

19. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i totally agree. i would of rather had a pc version but couldn't wait so i bought a ps3. if it was on pc i could of already had some improvement that i really want. like the ability to unlock the entire song and play it at whatever speed i wanted to instead of the game forcing me to play it faster than my ability. this is the number one gripe on the rocksmith forums and still hasn't been addressed.

especially when learning solos, you unlock up to say 60% of the solo, then its too much for you to handle and downgrades you back to 50%. so when you go into the riff accelerator to practice it more slowly you're back down to 50% of the notes appearing. you reach a point where it's impossible to progress with the current implementation. we need a way to lock it in at 60% and at a very slow speed so i can learn the notes and progress to 70%. i have a feeling that a pc mod would of made this a reality already.

20. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

a ps3 patch for this game couldn't come soon enough. i'm to the point where i can't even progress. everytime i run this event the game crashes at the end (lvl 10 or 11 can't remember). also hangar 18 crashes my ps3 almost everytime. then you have the tom petty encore song problem that also crashes the game.

also, not being able to learn solos efficiently is annoying.

oh and i forgot i have to fiddle with the cable for 5 to 10 min before playing to work correctly. it also says the cable is disconnected when i try to first play a song even though it's not.