1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Rodney King Found Dead

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Tully Mars, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Looks like Rodney King was found dead at the bottom of a swimming pool.

Rodney King dead at 47 - CNN.com

Anyone have memories of the incident or personal experiences regarding him and the events of his life that became so ingrained in US culture?

The only thing that stands out for me was I was in a squad room at a small sheriffs office when the jury first found the officers not guilty on the beating charges. Everyone around me was cheering and I kept thinking BULL SHIT.

Anyway share your thoughts if you have them. And I hope he's found peace now.

2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Yep, I remember thinking the cops should have gotten jail time.
    And over the years, I remember thinking Rodney King was letting his fame/infamy get to him, and he wouldn't come to a good end.

It's sad that he's dead and at a young age.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Oh, fuck that guy. Race card. Media temporal tunnel vision.

Excessive use of force by police? Certainly. No question.

But the guy was hardly a model citizen.

Everybody in LE lost that day.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

It was definitely a case of two big wrongs not adding up to anything right, and no one being better off for it.

I don't wish the guy any ill will, and he absolutely didn't deserve to be beat the way he was, but it's not like he was some type of hero for being a drunk parolee running from the cops.

5. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

The tragedy is, police are still, to put it mildly, heavy handed. Video after video portraying the abuse of citizens by police and not a fucking thing is done to effectively eradicate it (despite the lip service) or even minimize it.

Rodney King was a snapshot in time. Police violence had been going on well before and has continued despite this high profile incidence.

The whole Rodney King ordeal is a sad example of the relationship between law enforcement and who they deem the enemy. (everyone outside of law enforcement)

• Like Like x 2
  6. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

No, why he's a hero is not what happened on the video tape. He tried to be the voice of reason when the cops were acquitted ("Can't we all get along?"). He tried afterwards to continue to be the voice of peace. Was he a flawed human being with substance abuse problems? Yes, absolutely. Did he try to use his notoriety for something good? Yes, absolutely.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

He did attempt to put a positive spin on the ordeal when it was all said and done. Sadly, he'll be remembered by most as the black dude who got a crazy ass-whoopin' from a bunch of violent adrenaline junkies.

8. Borla

Good point, one I overlooked.

9. flat5

flat5 Vertical

The race card my ass!
    Who do you think you would have been in his skin and environment?

10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Say what? Engrish?

11. Borla

In my opinion, once you become an adult you are responsible for your own actions. Sure, a bad environment might make me understand why you were more prone to do something stupid or illegal, but it doesn't excuse it. It is a sad reality that people who grow up around abuse, drug use/alcoholism, and other dysfunction are more likely to perpetuate it. But it's still on them if they do.

12. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Are you talking about Rodney King or the officers who beat him? :p

I suppose we are all of us responsible for dealing with whatever happens to us.

King himself spent a lot of time and effort working to rehabilitate himself, and after the beating he had that much more to deal with. I'm sure he had lots of ups and downs, but he seemed to have been strong enough to make some progress and even to reach out to other addicts as a way to help them.

I wonder what, if anything, his abusers have done to deal with any of their own problems.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Borla

Yes. ;)

If the cops defend actions like that by saying it's because they constantly deal with the scum of society, or that it was perpetuated by the culture of the dept., that's a feeble and insufficient excuse in my book as well. What they did was blatantly wrong, and they should be held personally responsible.

• Like Like x 1
  14. clavus

clavus New Member

He died from exhaustion. That guy was beat.

• Like Like x 3