1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Rolling Stone Poll: Top 10 Music Collaborations of All Time

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by CinnamonGirl, Aug 11, 2011.

1. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Apparently, Rolling Stone magazine polled readers on the best musical collaborations of all time. I just...I can't even... I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS LIST AT ALL!

10. Santana and Rob Thomas, “Smooth” (1999)
    9. Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney, “Say, Say, Say” (1983)
    8. David Bowie and Mick Jagger, “Dancing in the Street” (1985)
    7. Good Charlotte and Avenged Sevenfold, “The River” (2007)
    6. The Beatles and Eric Clapton, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” (1968)
    5. Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks, “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” (1981)
    4. U2 and Green Day, “The Saints Are Coming” (2006)
    3. Aerosmith and Run-D.M.C., “Walk This Way” (1986)
    2. Queen and David Bowie, “Under Pressure” (1981)
    1. Boyz II Men and Mariah Carey, “One Sweet Day” (1995)

I first heard about this list on my way to work this morning, but didn't hear the whole thing. Even the DJs were like, "Um....what? That doesn't make any sense."

Seriously, this list makes me want to cry. Do you agree with it? If so, please be prepared to explain, in great detail, why you think this is a good list. Otherwise...let the facepalming begin!

2. God of Thunder

God of Thunder New Member

I agree with #5, #3 and #2

#6 wasn't really a collaboration, but if you're going to include Eric, how can you exclude the work Billy Preston did as well?

How can you not list things such as;

Elton John and Kiki Dee, Prince and Sheena Easton, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley, or even Bob & Doug McKenzie with Geddy Lee??

3. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

I'm not sure where I'd draw the line on a collaboration, but this list isn't it.

Duane Allman on Layla would probably be more appropriate than #6. To my understanding, Clapton just came in as a friend and hired gun for the Beatles, where Duane Allman and Clapton are both very present on the Layla tracks.

4. God of Thunder

God of Thunder New Member

Dammit!! I was racking my brain trying to think of good collaborations that were missed and totally left that one off. Yes, the Layla sessions were definitely a collaboration between Eric and Duane.

And Queen and David Bowie should be #1!!

5. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

There are only two of those I wouldn't wipe my ass with, and God of Thunder encompassed them both in his post. Just the fact that Good Charlotte made a list that doesn't start with "Top 10 Gayest" warrants a facepalm.

6. CinnamonGirl

Besides the fact that some of these songs are terrible... I mean, they picked "Say Say Say" as the best MJ & PM collaboration? And I've never even heard #7 and #4. "One Sweet Day" was the most overplayed song of whatever year it came out... I don't remember exactly, but it was on EVERY time I turned on the radio. Much hatred for that song. (And if you want a tribute-r&b-memorial-kind-of-collaboration, go with "I'll Be Missing You," with Faith Evans, Puff Daddy, and 112. Which isn't a GREAT song, but it's miles better than "One Sweet Day.")

Like God of Thunder , the only ones I really agree with are #5, #3 and #2. I wonder if they tracked the age range of the people voting?

7. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

So there were no good collaborations before 1968? Lost me right there.

8. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

I've never even heard of the #1 entry. I also think I'm OK with that.

Now, this isn't the greatest, but I love the collaboration of Sum 41, Tommy Lee, and Rob Halford from one of those MTV awards back in the day:

The list also missed Iggy Pop/Kate Pierson, Candy.

9. CinnamonGirl

I don't like "The Little Drummer Boy" much... but Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing together in '57 was kind of a big deal (plus I liked their version better than the original, with the "Peace On Earth" bits.) Not even a mention. Psssh.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

I will also mention that the greatest collaboration I have ever seen was Reverend Horton Heat and Motorhead both on stage playing Ace of Spades. Epic.

11. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I liked Frank & Bing singing together in High Society from 1956 - great duo.

12. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

List is a joke without Fairytale of New York

Also Barcelona has to be in there, surely? (Freddie Mercury and big female opera singer...)
    --- merged: Aug 12, 2011 at 6:25 PM ---
    _

Oh, and if I was gonna pick a rap/r&b tribute I'd have to go for the Aaliyah tribute (Miss You)

At least DMX actually sounds like he means it. Puffy was just sad that his career was over without being able to ride on Biggie's coat tails anymore (although he got round that my releasing all the half cut demo's that the guy ever did over the course of the next 10 years...)

13. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I read that and was puzzled about the date, so I looked it up.
    I didn't figure Bowie was that old.

14. CinnamonGirl

Oops...I did mean '77. Typo'd!

15. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I love Run-DMC, but if they needed a token rap collaboration they would have gained more credibility by choosing Public Enemy and Anthrax or Blondie and Fab Five Freddy.

As for the token Michael Jackson gesture, Michael and Eddie Van Halen? Just as popular, just as safe.

Rolling Stone should stick to what they do best - writing about political and social issues. They have totally failed music.

16. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Ah, now I remember the other one that was tickling the back of my head... "Close My Eyes Forever", Lita Ford & Ozzy Ozbourne.

17. redux

redux Very Tilted

Etta James rocking it out with Chucky Berry at his b-day party, with Keith Richards on guitar.

18. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I second Anthrax/Public Enemy... #1 is controversial at worst and shouldn't be on the list. Good Charlotte makes the list a joke and I think there are better R&B/Hip Hop/Rap collaborations out there. Although David Bowie being on the list twice adds to his already greatness.... and rather than make some suggestions of my own, I'll just criticize....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

I'd like to put a word in for the recent work by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, though I have no particular song in mind.

20. CinnamonGirl

Good call. Raising Sand is a great album.