1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Romney - Is he ready?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, May 15, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

3. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

4. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

That Colbert piece was excellent.

5. rogue49

Romney better be careful...Obama's team has started with a little known zinger.
    Romnesia...and the plague is gaining ground...the GOP better find a cure for its spread fast.

6. rogue49

The upcoming debate topic of Foreign Policy goes directly in the line of thought for this thread's title.
    Is Romney ready for it?

This will be a challenge for him...I hope he's able to answer the task.

7. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I remember Democrats at the time, making this very point to Republicans as both sides cast their aye votes.

8. Baraka_Guru

I saw this floating around Facebook. I believe Krugman said this a short while back on The Colbert Report.

[​IMG]

9. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

10. rogue49

I'm sorry...the whole "States power" thing...as in "should go back to the States", "give States more power", etc and so on...
    It's all code for minimizing if not reducing the Federal government.
    Same thing the GOP is saying.
    Same thing the Confederates said.
    Same thing Jefferson said.
    etc...

Listen, it's a global world now...more Nation oriented...not States oriented.
    States are good for some things, Federal is good for others.
    Some States are ass-backwards...along with their politics, competence and preparedness. (you know those which CONSTANTLY pop up)

This is the SAME bunch of smoke-screen.
    Come-on man...if you want it, say it...don't bullshit me.
    I'll give you a fair-shake...but don't whitewash it.

BTW...the same states with the same old-school politics are the SAME ones that get themselves in a mess and ask for Federal help.
    Like a friggin' teen-ager that says don't tell me what to do...then needs funds to pay for their bail....or even just food for the week.

Personally, I'd rather have it budgeted ahead of time...rather than another friggin' "emergency" appropriation. (like the Iraq War???)
    Take it from me, it's better to know it ahead of time...any "winging it" on bills always costs more.

11. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I can't see this happening. I can't see a governor like Scott Walker embracing the creation of a new state agency or welcoming the hiring of public workers to man it. Besides, most state and local governments have had first responder programs in effect since 9/11 - most of it paid for out of their own tax coffers.

How would this work in the case of disaster response, I wonder? Would state governments contract the work out to a company(s) willing to hire and keep staff on call for an emergency that may or may not occur? How does a private company survive in years where there are no disasters? Where's the profit incentive? Would state taxpayers be obliged to pay these companies a contracted sum of money regardless of whether or not their services were needed? I could see a handful of companies equipped to take disasters on board nation-wide but not state-by-state. How they would get paid and by whom is another question. And where would FEMA come in?

It's not really about sending anything back to the states and Romney's admitted it - Doing away with state and federal agencies and public workers, collecting taxes and paying them out to private companies is the goal, regardless of whether it makes sense to do so, financially or otherwise.

12. rogue49

I've got a question...does Romney get dizzy?
    Because I would throw-up faster than a roller-coaster ride. :rolleyes:

13. rogue49

Now...this seems to be the question of the year.
    It was true in the primaries, it's true now. (Hell, even other conservatives were saying they were not quite comfortable or firm back then)
    How do you get a sense of someone?

Personally, I think I've gotten to the point of not worrying about Romney himself and his stances,
    but who he would bring in with him...as a part of his administration.
    (Bill Maher makes a good point of this for his final New Rule for Realtime Esp. 264 -
    View: http://youtu.be/k07o5w-j2Hg
    )
    Just like I didn't really have an issue with GWB as much as with all the neo-cons that came in his train.

14. rogue49

BANZAI !!!

15. rogue49

Romney's Transition Website...in case he had won.
    Last Look

16. Baraka_Guru

17. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

The fact he got as close as he did is not funny to me at all.

18. Baraka_Guru

I'm not American, so I know it's different, but that doesn't mean we Canadians are unaffected by American politics. Hardly. In many ways American politics is just as important to us as our own.

That said, I do find this whole situation funny, albeit in a gallows, black, grotesque humour kind of way.

Laughter doesn't always come when things are peachy keen. We also laugh as a response to grief and anxiety, as a kind of release.

Ha, ha! I say.

19. rogue49

Not this white guy...
    Oh also straight middle-aged upper middle-class IT working independent family man....

Is it because I'm technically Jewish...even though I'm not big-time Jewish??
    Or is it because I grew up in the Northeast...even though I was born in OKC?? :rolleyes:
    Or is it because I've got black friends? Gay-friends? despite being semi-conservative??

When are we going to get out of these categories?

20. Baraka_Guru

Never.

It would be like asking when we are truly free from governmentality.

It's asking the wrong question.