1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Roseanne for President

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by genuinemommy, Aug 5, 2011.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

The Green Tea Party now exists, and it's taking a decidedly different angle on US politics. Spearheaded by Roseanne Barr.

She appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno to make her announcement: http://splitsider.com/2011/08/rosea...dent-on-a-platform-of-bartering-and-craziness

Here's her official campaign speech from May 2010: http://www.roseanneworld.com/blog/2010/05/my-campaign-for-president-of-t.php It has taken until now for her to convince people that she is actually seriously running for president.

What do you think - does she stand a chance?

2. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Green Tea Party?... Hardcore Conservatives that smoke pot?

She doesn't have a chance. To many people see her as her TV image and most wouldn't vote for that image.

Good ideas but no chance in hell.

3. I totally heard her voice when I read this and shuddered. I can't take her seriously.

I am a feminist and as a feminist I believe in equality amongst the sexist. She doesn't want to be an equal, she wants women to be worshiped as goddesses and that isn't a good way to think. She is generalizing the whole male gender of politics. They are not all like she describes. We only hear about those that can't keep their dick in their pants...or their tiger costume. Women cheat too. They can be power hungry. We aren't perfect. The idea that women are by nature nurturing isn't a truth. Those women attracted to politics and are successful won't be earth mothers.

The focus should be on finding the right people to lead our government, not the right sex.

4. Wow, if GG hadn't posted this I would have assumed I stumbled into a humor thread:p

If Roseanne wanted to be taken seriously, she would never have brought up that Isis and Cleopatra claptrap. Everything she has to say will be filtered through that comment. A few good ideas. Need a credible candidate.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Publicity stunt.

She does now have a show called Roseanne's Nuts, a reality show where she grows macadamia nuts with her boyfriend and kid. Double entendre, anyone?

She's also a career comedian.

I think the motives are broad. Maybe she is fed up with the state of politics, and her primary goal is to shake up the discourse. You know, a kind of disruptive publicity under the guise of "crazy" to distract from the real crazy. Bachmann's running, right? Sarah Palin hasn't ruled it out yet, right?

Or maybe Barr is just crazy. I really don't know much about her deal these days.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Liquor Dealer

Liquor Dealer Vertical

"Star Spangled Banner" That should say it all - she mangles everything she gets close to.

7. Pat Paulsen! Where are you now that we REALLY need you?

8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

As a member of the Green Tea Party, it will at least get us recognized. I'm not sure she is really for cutting government waste, boosting government spending in other areas (especially green and futuristic energy), world peace, unity between races and genders, weed is legal, transparent elections, healthy living, non-materialistic, no corporate donations/influence, and free.

Oh, and seeing a Roseanne/Obama debate... Ha! that would be great.

That is the big question I have...Why isn't the Green Party on the same ticket as the Democratic Party? The GOP and Tea Party get to run against each other in the primaries, why don't the Green, Constitution, and Libertarian parties get to run against the liberal or conservative candidates in the primaries?

9. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Pfft. At this point i'd vote for her. What are my choices? Not vote for her because she might be crazy? You'll have to do better than that.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

10. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I'm not sure, is that a Freudian slip? :D

I've seen four episodes of her "Roseanne's Nuts" show, so I was watching Leno the other night because she was appearing on it.
    Yeah, she pretty much doesn't have a chance at winning, 'cause she comes across as tetched.
    I wouldn't put it past her to fritter away millions of dollars just so she can debate the other candidates, like she said on Leno that she wanted to do.

11. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

We need someone of the left to debate Obama. The President kind of knows that there is no way we will vote for anyone the other side is offering, but his base is much farther left than he is.

12. How do you mean?

So there is talk here that she has "good ideas." I want to know what, in your opinion, those good ideas are. I'm not saying this attack anyone, I generally want to know so I have a sense as to what you believe.

13. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

I believe he's referring to replacing "sexist" with "sexes."

14. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I don't know anything about her ideas, but there are two points that I would like to observe.

1. The world is a patriarchy. Period. Namby-pamby proclamations about the power of Hillary Clinton and Oprah Winfrey may be left with the hat-check girl.

2. In our patriarchal world (of which we know no other), the kind of people who make it all the way to "ruling the world" generally tend to be assholes whether they are men or women.

and a third.

3. This is what we have and it isn't going to change. Therefore, the only way to see Roseanne's proclamation is as a bit of sarcastic waggery. I like her so I'll go along with the joke. I hope she goes far. I need the laughs.

15. Ha.... der. Thanks.

16. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

The world became a patriarchy less long ago than we've pretended civilization. I'd rather follow Roseanne than make her mad at me. Insert sex or race or your alien instincts into the partial world of politics & "they"'ll probably tell you you're crazy. We can't go through the looking glass, more's the pity.

17. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

maybe if enough people subscribed to her ideas, we'd be a bet... - wait a minute - never mind..

18. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

Some hugs could change your mind.

19. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I am watching her show right now, and I do indeed believe that she is slightly off her rocker. No way would she ever be considered as a viable candidate for President. I think she really does love her country, but no way will anyone take that stance seriously.

20. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I say that only comedians should be allowed to run in 2012.
    Couldn't do any worse.