1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Safe Drinking Water

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by genuinemommy, Oct 3, 2018.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Is your tap water safe?

Here's an article with NPR that highlights the drinking water crisis in the US (it's not just Flint, Michigan).

View: https://www.npr.org/2018/10/03/649850498/you-just-don-t-touch-that-tap-water-unless-absolutely-necessary

The place where we last lived, in Texas, the water smelled overwhelmingly of chemicals. Not just chlorine, but it regularly off gassed something that reminded me of Benzene. We drank and watered our veggie garden from a high quality filter that took out everything. We got regular reports from our water district and technically our water checked out as "safe" but the smell honestly scared me.

Where we're staying now, the water tastes like dirt. Our current filters don't make a difference and we aren't staying here long enough to invest in a quality filtration system. We're giving the kids bottled water because we don't trust the water.

What about you? Do you live someplace with clean, safe, drinking water, straight from the tap?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

We have a well that fortunately supplies us with very high quality water albeit with a distinct sulfur odor/taste.
    We had a threat of fracking in upstate NY a few years ago. Our local conservation society organized extensive testing of a representative set of wells in the county, anticipating that we would be dealing with pollution issues once they fracked. We were fortunate to be chosen as one of the representative wells and had thorough testing. I was impressed with the high quality, really pristine quality of our water.

• Like Like x 1