1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Science vs. Philosophy - siblings bitchin' at each other about who's shotgun

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Jun 10, 2012.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I'm a Physicist...not by profession (yet) but by "hobby" and nature.
    I'm a Philosopher by default, since it is my habit to ask why and talk about EVERYTHING.
    And I disagree with the arrogance shown often by both sides.

All information is useful, even if at the moment invalid. (you never know when it may become valid...)
    All discussion is useful, no one should patronize or dismiss the other.
    Communication is a tool.
    Math is a tool.

Sometimes, you leverage what you can observe and test.
    Sometimes, you leverage a tool to guide you to another point you cannot observe. (ask old-school navigators this...)
    Neither should be discounted. Both are good methods to work.

A wise man, if possible, says "all of the above"
    Then eats his meal with relish yet discretion.
    Enjoying all the tastes, known & new.
    And when full or finished, sated, waits for the next meal with anticipation.

I've found both fields, often have become overly invested in their own conversations and formalism.
    It's not how you've said something...that's just syntax, rules & grammer.
    But what you said, why you said it...did you get across what you're trying to impart??

Because if you've lost the audience, you've lost the game.
    BTW, just because you have a small group "get it", because they are into you or your field of study...doesn't mean you're smarter.
    It just means you'll have to work that much harder to sell your thoughts & ideas to the world.

A good idea translates simply.
    And is profound & interesting to most audiences.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. My major adviser (Cognitive Science) stated that the new Philosophy is Neuroscience. It's true. What we once philosophized about has given way to Physics, and Neuroscience. We can now explain certain things about the brain, and thinking, monitor decision making patterns in real-time using fMRI technology. There's no more need for astrological signs, we now look at the heavens, rather than to them.

Where Philosophy has value now, other than history and anthropology in classical studies, is in posing questions and challenging things... not like the idiocy of the article posted here, but in pushing people to think.... things like my "Learning & Memory" professor who was from a behaviorist background (psychology) noted: We learn things where Cognitive Science and Behaviorism intersect... because neither one can explain everything about how the brain operates. Cog Sci tries, but it's still in it's infancy (we haven't learned to fully map each individual brain like we can genomes & DNA). Behaviorism still explains things that Cog Sci simply can't without turning back to it's roots! Cog Sci excels at explaining sensory and perception, whereas Behaviorism abhors this because there are no explanations outside of Operant Conditioning.

Note / Aside: Chomsky scathed Skinner's "Verbal Behavior" in the ?50's? and it was over for Behaviorists, giving way to Cog Sci. Since then, Philosophy has been a major contributor to the realm of Cognitive Science. Physicists, too, in that without Physics, we wouldn't have MRI technology. As noted in the last paragraph of the article.

Philosophy is not dead... classical philosophy is "dead" as in "dead language"... people don't talk like that now. Philosophers (now) publish papers with stats, and speak in jargon and scientific languages rather than in acute, pointed phrases or long meanderings about the nature of life.

Anybody wants a book list... I got plenty sitting right next to me.