1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

[Selective Compendium] Classic Covers

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Jetée, May 29, 2012.

1. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

... Vintage Posters, Radical Advertisements & Creative Affiches (* -)

This is the CCVPRACA Salon: the one-man exhibition (I'm assuming, as this virtual showroom has rules) of penned banners, novel covers, and yester-years squibs.
    A Continuance (as I'm fairly sure the original posting could have been easily overlooked) ... A Retrospectacle.

I am ever as hopeful with this aim, as with any of ther other three dozen or so galleries (I'm restarting them, don't you know?) that I've felt fit to curate, for the one constant, above all else, to endure here, and that is simply directed towards the admiring audience: to enjoy.

[​IMG]
    Coming Attractions by jrpopartz
    (click the image to display larger)

Now as for those 'rules'.
    These will be self-imposed guidelines & regulations. mostly for my benefit, but as well as yours, to have a general gist of what is considered a proper contribution.
    - The titling of a "classic cover" can be quite broad, so I'd like to limit whatever portrayals I'll be featuring here from the eras of time in the past three centuries (excluding current), if I can dig them up; up until the 1980s (around '87-'89, at the very latest.)
    * - Posts that you will come to see will include, but are not limited to:
    teaser pamphlets, film posters, pulp fiction covers, pin-up artists, illustrative arts, ad-men, by-gone magazines, music album cover artistry, videogames, etc., et. al.
    * - I'm not demanding anyone to be me, but I ask, if you feel like sharing, at the very least, please take a little bit of extra time to attribute, accredit, and affix any authorship to what you post. This thread is meant to be seen no differently than an artist's exhibition, and it won't do if any more than a scattering were source unknown. The more information you can provide, however basic you may believe it to be, can be an immense help, and is greatly appreciated.
    * - Alright, so the above aren't absolutely viewed as 'diehard' rules, (save for the timeframe of the 1780-1980s-ish) but serve as greater guide posts.
    This next one, however, I ask please be considered cardinal, hard, and fast: (I'm pretty sure I botched that cliche) This thread is to remain a *SAFE FOR WORK Endeavor, so I beg of you, if you'd like to contribute, I'm more than pleased to have helping hands here, but again, refrain from posting explicit nudity and/or the outrageously offensive.​
    **If the bawdy covers are more your speed, I'd recommend you visit THIS collection instead.

Now with the above out of the way...
    - - -

Shall we begin?
    [​IMG]
    Night Shift

-- courtesy of darkfiber.

As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world (that is the myth of the Atomic Age) as in being able to remake ourselves.
    Mohandas K. Gandhi​

2. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Honestly, I am certain that I could make good contributions to this thread, but I'm not really moved by the 'code of information discovery.'

While I am very concerned with keeping detailed information on original sources - photographers, artists, illustrators, etc. - I'm not too hip on attributing arbitrary credit to a blogger for something that someone else created. What am I attributing? Their taste? I have good taste, too, but I don't see it as a commodity.

I collect thousands of images. What is more, I scan a lot of images. Images that are excruciatingly 'curated' in my own filing system. Only when I post a significant number of pieces of material that I obtained from one online source do I take the time to 'link back.' And I don't expect anyone to give me 'credit' for using images that I scanned and uploaded to the internet - images that someone else created. I don't even expect credit for photographs that I took myself. It's just not something that I feel a need to control.

I am totally about freedom of information, and if someone wants to post an image that they like and don't remember where they got it from...even if they have no information about original sources, then they should feel free to express themselves in that way.

Sorry to kick off the first response to your thread in this way, but I suppose I am just trying to get a handle on what your needs are. I could post on these threads or I could not. But you won't see me linking back to a tumblr blog, for instance. We don't own the images, even if we own the magazines.

3. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Gah! The automerged doublepost mechanism the forum applies totally dissolved my previous post and merged it with what was supposed to be the follow-up reply. I sure hope you were able to read what I had jotten down, mixed, because I am unable to recover those words of encouragement I had laid down on my end.
    This really sucks. I had invested now a full hour into those two replies, and to reveal a little of my own personality here, I absolutely hate losing anything to the ether. (perhaps an admin/mod can look up the various changes made to this entry, and recover the first posting?)

I suppose we'll just have to move on, and if necessary, I'll try to re-empasize my points of acknowledgement in a a conversation aside, at a later time, mixed. Sincerest apologies (I didn't know my post would vanish like that).

- - - - -

-- to note: Starting this at :52 past the hour.

I make good use of my Opera web browser.
    You have your preferences, I have mine; and I am intertwined with the ease, reliability and connectivity that Opera's Notes feature provides me with - I've been filling it up for the past 4+ years, and this is merely an inside look at how I compose a [sampler] post.

I have a Share on TFP folder within the Notes sidepanel of my browser(s); within it, there is the Artworks subdivision, I go a bit further down the rabbithole, and I expand the folder Classic Covers (which contains further subdivisions relating to albums, newstand/periodicals, book covers, pulp!, fanservice, INT'L, and more.)

For the purposes of this exposition, I'd like to feature a classic film poster.
    I find this link already within the plain text note: ffffound.com/image/7472480bb68df9781997e38750dfaebdb53cc30c

It is a smattering of three separate and distinct forms of social media sharing, rolled into one visual aesthetic on a static webpage: An image hosted on photobucket, (image hoster with minimal social capabilities) originally featured within a word press-hosted blog entry (searched the site using keyword werewolves, and easily found the entry) ; finally, I came across the duality of the image + details via an invite-only image-bookmarking service called FFFFound, which to my knowledge, has absolutely the barest cupboard of social connectivity - upload an image, like a photo, share the link, repeat.

Now that I see the relevant context to the image, I can assess that this is a re-imagined movie poster for Werewolves on Wheels, (a quick wiki search actually shows me this is a real film) created by graphic designer firm Phantom City Creative. Oh. Actually, it is only a colour variant, but based on an actual exploitation film; so... I can post the real thing here (given the easy to remember initial contraints that this is a classic cover, from in between the era of the 1780s-1980s), and provide the link to the variant that originally led me on this exemplary quest. Time not entirely wasted!

Let's go!

I have multiple image hoster accounts, and probably a few spare blog ones, but I am primarily using a TinyPic account, (that, too, is neatly organized into 22 separate image containers) so I am going to quickly utilise its URL-uploading feature:

Did a quick 'te' + URL search (te for TinEye, a browser-specific quick search-engine shortcut) and came across some posters for the film. Love the one below, so going to dig, and bring up...

[​IMG]
    Werewolves on Wheels (Michael Levesque; 1971)

-- (wiki also had a source for the above image)

+ bonus: The Variant, produced by Phantom City Creative

[​IMG]

Finished at :22 past the next hour (with a bathroom AND snack break taken in-between the start and finish of this entry).

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  4. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I don't have that kind of time on my hands. My personal discovery of information about images usually happens more organically. I have a photogenic memory. I can remember virtually every image that has struck me at one time or another. Even when I find images I like w. virtually no information on them, I will file them away and will usually come across them again, often w. more information about their source. Either that or other found work in the same style w. will remind me send me on a search to confirm my suspicions. It's always a bit like Christmas when I find out that an image that I liked for purely aesthetic reasons turns out to be either an new inclusion into an artist's work that I already admire or leads me on a search to build a new collection - a new hero. The seemingly limitless expanse of beautiful things out there is a little overwhelming sometimes. But I do my best. :)

5. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Well... in all, just to work on a 'cold' image, like I did above, on average, it takes me around 15 minutes to complete a contributory post (to the best intents & purposes of attribution I lay down for myself) .

Because I know my resources, and the tools available to any one as a fledgling web archivist, any tumblr post that looks that could have been created by an artist will take me just 8 min., at most, to gather the relevant info, links and a bio, and then post it, together. (if it is laid down as just a photo, alone, no trackbacks or author by-lines. Suffice to say, it is much easier to work backwards if you have a starting point, namely: a name.)

With what you described about the thrill of the search + discovery, this is why I like and adhere to my own standard/practices of completing a post here (anywhere).
    By no means am I going to find everything, and some things are better left to a simple eight-second TinEye search query to confirm that the image is of unknown origin, but I'll go ahead and post it any ways (as source unknown).

The real tragedy is that I am filling up my queue of the most recent found items of interest, and that leaves with virtually no time left at all to persue to feature the works of artists that I have personally enjoyed before, and have hence become contacts because I was searching for them by way of some one else not providing the author's name.

It's more of a pull than a push, in this discovery-finding process of mine, but I am finding more and more that like to help others try to find out the most that they can from that random tumblr/twitter gallery they found on HuffPo.

Maybe I can try my hand at a new topic in Tilted Support for those wanting to know if their random image has a true source, and seeing how good/bad I am (or you, any one, as well) at identifying a positive tack to the origins of the internet photo phantasm.

- - -

EDIT: addition

[​IMG]
    Passion Has Red Lips by R.R. McCollum (1951) | cover art by George Gross.

-- to note: time taken to post this addendum entry cut in half, (~4 min.) with thanks to google "verbatim search" + flickriver image identifier.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  6. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

good grief, photographic memory. not photogenic memory.

I came across that same book cover earlier today. We definitely have different motivations, jetee. I revel in the imagery more than I do in knowing its history. I mean, information is good, but it doesn't change the experience for me. Just makes it easier to catalog them.
    --- merged: May 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM ---
    Also, I usually refrain from sharing too much information here because people simply aren't that interested. I mean, most of the time I know the names of the models I post in the posting threads and/or sometimes the photographers and the year in which the photos were taken, but I usually refrain from sharing that information because most people here couldn't care less about those things.

On my blog, I share more information but sometimes only in tags. Sometimes I don't want text cluttering up the view. It depends on the spirit of the entry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
  7. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

let's see if this works for this topic as well...

magazine cover

[​IMG]
    A Clockwork Orange [* -] | Sight and Sound Autumn 1971

+ a sincere reply
    I don't believe we are all that different. I love finding new images and sources for discovery, but I do usually refrain from sharing it immediately. I store them, up until the moment I decide to look for them again. That's my first step in cataloguing (well, maybe second, as the eye-test of 'wow, this looks nice' would be the first). You might not like adding the relevant info attached to any one photograph or painting, thinking that it takes too much time, and no cares about it; (I'm not disagreeing with you) I still feel for the good of the originator's spirit in creation, as well as furthering the knowledge of the community who takes an interest in, at the least, taking a glance at what we share, all the info that they may need will be there nine out of ten times, (leastin' for my shares) and they will appreciate it, perhaps even be grateful that I do take the time to cull/curate the internet as a hobby (tho I'm not not holding my breath on that hope).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012
  8. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

The first issue of Astounding Stories of Super-Science, later to become the magazine Analog Science Fiction and Fact.
    January 1930.
    Cover art by H. W. Wessolowski.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Yeah, I'm super shitty when it comes to following the rules but I do have some classic covers (w/ related trivia) in mind:

[​IMG]

About:

Famous Monsters of Filmland "...was originally conceived as a one-shot publication by Warren and Ackerman, published in the wake of the widespread success of the package of old horror movies syndicated to American television in 1957. But the first issue, published in February 1958, was so successful that it required a second printing to fulfill public demand."

Pop-Up Video info-bubble that I hold near and dear to my heart:

In April 1981, the punk band The Misfits began using the magazine's distinctive logo font on most albums, T-shirts, and other associated promotional materials. In 1999, The Misfits released an album by the name of Famous Monsters.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

My love is always beside Barnabas. [* -]
    - - - - -

"camp" (two, four, six & eight do it for me) + street poster (specifically: theatre listing)

[​IMG]
    La Noche de Walpurgis (Klimovsky; 1971) - poster originally seen in San Diego.

relevant trivia: (summary)
    The fifth film in a (Spanish) series about the werewolf Count Waldemar Daninsky. The movie begins with two students, Elvira and her friend Genevieve, go searching for the tomb of medieval murderess (and possible vampira) Countess Wandessa. They find a possible site in the castle of Count Waldemar Daninsky, who invites them to stay for as long as they like. When he shows them the tomb of the countess, Elvira accidentally revives her. Daninsky is forced to battle and destroy the vampire queen at the end of the film.​

-- mostly due thanks to quick-wiki'ing, verifying sources.

- - - - -

A gracious thank you to both past contributors, and future commentary, by any brave enough community members that care to show affection for this sort of mish-mash of an unfolding, vintage viewing gallery. If you'd care to learn more, I consider THIS TOPIC to be the sister-thread-in-spirit to what I'm trying to cultivate here, so there may be overlap and knowledge to be gleaned from both through each other, and in conjuction. Oh, and there's THAT.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

magazine cover

[​IMG]
    The Original Zoo York Magazine (1979) - {an Andy Kessler/Mark Edmunds collaborative}

[placebomagazine.]
    - - - - -

+ bonus
    Wasn't looking for it, (didn't even know it existed) but I found this killer sonudtrack over the weekend
    (I think one of my main hobbies is plays-on-words, so pardon the irrestible urge I some times indulge myself in).

Either way: Enjoy.

[​IMG]
    DON GERE | Werewolves On Wheels
    (Theme)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  12. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

fanservice! + pulp fiction

[​IMG]
    Bad Girls Need Love, Too by Gary Lovisi ; cover design by Rachael Knier.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  13. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

14. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Poster (recruitment ; WWI)

[​IMG]
    J.P. Wharton, 1st Lt. Tank Corps. - Washington Barracks, D.C. : Engineer Reproduction Plant, U.S. Army, 1919.

-- courtesy of the United States Library of Congress

15. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Magazine Cover (fanservice!)

[​IMG]
    Cavalier Vol. 15, No. 149 (November of 1965)

[vintagegirliemags.]

16. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

17. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

carton cover + (video games)

[​IMG]
    Agent 17 must escape intact!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  18. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero #1, June 1982.

{cover art by Herb Trimpe and Bob McLeod}

[comicbookcovers.]

19. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    In a Dark, Dark Room.... Storytelling by Alvin Schwartz, Illustrated by Dirk Zimmer (HarperCollins; 1984)

[amazon.]