1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

share your uncanny experiences?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Strange Famous, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I had to think a bit before I posted this.

Not out of fear of mockery (remember the time I thought I had hallucinated the cookie monster in a holiday resort advert... I genuinely was on the verge of going to see a doctor before I posted here and someone showed me the link to the Sesame Street themed holiday park...)

But more because I find it hard to say exactly what happened.

On the one hand I have a clear memory of the events, even though they were approx 20 years ago. On the other hand I rationally cannot explain what happened and it makes me constantly wonder if I am not somehow imagining it.

My experience was not necessarily "ghostly"... I can offer not explanation either rational/scientific or supernatural. I can only say what happened.

This was when I was about 11/12. It was late on a Friday night, about 10 pm.

My father had taken me to the amusement acarde (like video games you have to put coins in to play, I think you have these in America also?) and then for fish and chips, and he had to stop off at work on the way home, I think to reboot something or run a backup or whatever when no one was on the AS/400

For some background information, he worked near one of the dock gates at Felixstowe (the biggest container port in the UK). So there are no houses around where he worked, but there are other haulage companies with container parks (and by extension security guards) dotted about.

When he was inside the office there was suddenly a scream.

I would say it was near but not very near (maybe 100 yards away) and to me it sounded female. It sounded like the screams in a horror movie when a woman gets caught by the monster (I remember very clearly describing it as that.

My dad came out of his office. I think that he seemed quite shaken up. He locked the car doors (leaving me inside) and walked around his office to see what was causing it. After I think 1 or 2 minutes he came back saying he had found nothing. He took me into the building, spent about 1 minute signing off his work station and then we left. The screams were still going on, still the same.

He didnt call the police, and he told me he thought it could be a monkey (this being a major port, he said sometimes the people on the boats might have a pet monkey that could have got lose.) I remember it sounded like a person.

I looked in the news for days afterwards thinking I'd read about a body being found, but of course there never was.

And after time I just put it out of my mind, because I couldnt rationally think what had happened.

Looking back, the possibilities seem to be:

My dad was playing a joke - not likely because it genuinely scared me and I think he would have stopped at that point, and he never even years later confessed to it (and he also remembers it)

It really was a monkey - (I dont know... I remember at the time I was convinced it was human and a woman. But I was young, it was dark, I was scared... at the time I was convinced it was a person... 20 years after the fact, you cant be so convinced)

Someone else playing a joke - I guess this seems the most likely thing to me. I dont know how, or why... but in the dark you could hide speakers and my dad wouldnt have found them. I dont know why though

Someone really being attacked - the screams went on and on for at least a few minutes without really changing. And nothing like this ever turned up in the news later. This just doesnt seem possible

Something uncanny - I dont know. Again, at the time this was what I felt I guess. But I cant be sure it wasnt a prank...

_

Anyway, please feel free to comment, ask me anymore, or share yourself any uncanny experiences you have had in your life.

2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

This sounds trivial compared to your story, Strange, but I had what I thought was an uncanny experience in the mid-nineties.

I had been in and out of the hospital over a couple of years time and I think I developed a mild case of PTSD.
    I'd jump at a sudden sound and was a tad nervous and twitchy.

Anyway, I had never heard of Edvard Munch's "The Scream", but all of the sudden I start seeing the image all over the media, one way or the other, with no one explaining what it was, and not even mentioning it.
    It was basically set decorations, but it seemed everyone at that time jumped on the bandwagon and was using it.
    The weird thing about it, it seemed to happen on the same day, but looking back, I'm not so sure.
    The last straw was seeing it on an episode of the "Roseanne" show.
    I think I started reading more after that. ;)

I don't find The Scream a scary image, but at that time, while so paranoid and jumpy, I was very creeped-out indeed.

Welp, that's my story.

3. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

Strange Famous, did you ever ask you dad about it later?

I've had a few, but one comes to mind first:

Until I was a teenager I spent my summers in Canada just outside the little town of Frankford, Ontario where my aunts and grandmother lived on a farm. I had quite a few cousins who lived there, as well as my brother and sister and mom would be there too. Dad stayed in Philly working. One day a bunch of the kids were playing games around the local farms, things like hide and seek, then we'd hike around to another area. At one point I wanted to be the big shot focus of attention and made up a story sort of like "follow me and I'll show you the sun"; in hindsight, I had no idea what I was even talking about or what I would do. But all the kids started following me through the neighboring fields, through a big cornfield high with corn, then up and down over some hills, and suddenly we came over the crest of a hill and there it was! The sun seemed so huge we could almost reach out and touch it. Everybody was amazed and somehow I ended up the cool hero on this one. I can't even say I had any subconscious intent or knowledge of how this would work out. It just did. In hindsight, it was an eerie but mildly transcendent experience.

4. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Yeah, I asked him about it a couple of times over the years. He remembered it as I did, didnt know what had happened but thought it might be a monkey.

The one thing that I do wonder is why he didnt call the police when it happened, but I suppose what could he tell them?

5. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

I took my family out for dinner yesterday. By the time we where finished eating my son discovered that a decorative clock had stopped at 15:26. The same time as the bomb went off in Oslo 22. of July this year. (We listened to the memorial broadcast on our way to the restaurant)

Have a picture of it too - but need to figure out how to attach it. Will update this later today.