1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Shit Books

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by EventHorizon, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Tophat665

Tophat665 Slightly Tilted

Hmm. See, I understood that part. Covenant's a prick because he doesn't want to lose the reflexes that are keeping him alive in the "Real World". He starts being less of a prick when he starts seeing both worlds as real. What gets me about Donaldson is diarrhea of the thesaurus. in Runes of the Earth he used the word Formication six times in 2 pages. Yeah, I get it. It's the feeling of ants on the skin, and once, maybe twice, would have worked. But SIX fucking times? Steve, buddy, I know you're smart. I have seldom seen so brilliant an exercise in world building, but there's no need to rub people's faces in it. In short, I'm just the opposite: I think he's an awful writer, but I love his ideas.

I've done that. I HATED the Plague in High School. Read it in my 30's. Turns out to be a great book.
    --- merged: Nov 2, 2011 5:37 PM ---
    Had the same experience with Chalker, then later in life with Turtledove.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'd rather read authors who write things that are too clever by half than read authors who write things so banal as to be like television on the page.

If you're going to spoon-feed me tripe, you're going to lose me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tophat665

True, but there's a lot of space and a lot of books between the two.
    --- merged: Nov 2, 2011 5:50 PM ---
    I mean, I can only dislike what I have tried to read. You don't see me dissing Danielle Steele because I have never read her stuff. I won't dis Stephanie Meyers here (though anywhere else she's fair game) because I haven't read her.

4. Baraka_Guru

This is true. And people read for different reasons. Some read purely for entertainment and relaxation. Others read to be challenged. I read for both reasons, and most of my reading is a combination of the two.

I have problems reading books that are meant to be pure enjoyment, as they are often the kind that do the spoon-feeding.

Some books are ambitious and have many merits but simply have problems with the writing. Donaldson is a good example. G. R. R. Martin is another. Fantasy in general is a genre that has the tendency to draw authors into the same traps: forced/awkward language, info dumps, cliche, bloat, convoluted plots, etc.

5. Tophat665

Other than overly convoluted language done poorly, those are all upsides to Fantasy for me (though I Far and Away prefer Cook and Brust to Donaldson, and Martin's... odd in a lot of ways. What I have read of his non-GoT work is mostly quite excellent.)

6. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Hemmingway's best was For Whom The Bell Tolls. The rest - meh. I can get through them, but they're a little over the top for me.

As far as The Grapes of Wrath goes, that there's nothing good that happens is kind of the point.

7. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

probably the most annoying, stupid book i've read is allan bloom's the closing of the american mind.
    this is followed closely by a book about derrida and prayers and tears that i can't remember much about because i threw it out the window of a moving car. i was asked to review it. so i did.
    this is followed closely by the astonishingly bad writing of people like dan brown and---worse even--anne rice.
    this is in turn followed by a clot of writers who have convinced me that fantasy is a genre i will never like.
    i can't get through stuff like koontz or what's-his-name the lawyer guy who gets himself into linear plot problems and start blowing shit up...gresham. can't get through it. one-dimensional cookie cutter bullshit.

i think i have a problem with most genre fiction, actually. except noir fiction for some reason. i like the sentences. i like well-crafted sentences.

"convoluted" language to me means one of two things: either the reader isn't willing to do any work to understand a piece---in which case i've no sympathy---or the sentence isn't well-crafted. badly crafted sentences are the stuff of fantasy fiction.

dfw i like quite a bit. pynchon too--but especially the crying of lot 49 and v. gravitys rainbow has some really lovely sentences, but it's more uneven when you get into the second half. faulkner sentences are mostly lovely. i imagine people would call gertrude stein convoluted. i would refer to those people as goofy.

8. Baraka_Guru

The thing with genre fiction (even noir fiction, though maybe to a lesser degree) is that it is essential to separate the wheat from the chaff in such a situation where there is far, far more chaff than wheat. With fantasy fiction in particular, since the '70s and the subsequent post-Tolkien boom in commercialized fantasy, it has become increasingly difficult to find well written fantasy apart from derivative cliched fantasy. That fantasy in the main is supposed to be an epic tale that takes place in a vaguely medieval European setting where magic is real and monsters exist is a gross misclassification. That happens to be merely what encompasses a lot of commercialized fantasy, most specifically "epic" and "heroic" fantasy. Just as Ursula Le Guin's grievances about the militarization of science fiction forced her to stop reading it, I find myself learning from my experiences of falling time and again into the trap of following "what's hot" in fantasy.

I'm not after the kind of stuff that most people read when it comes to fantasy (I nearly suffocated when I tried reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time). Fantasy takes on a number of different interpretations. How George R. R. Martin defines fantasy (epic/heroic/realism/medieval) differs from how Jeff Vandermeer defines it (the New Weird—a de-romanticized blending of genres) and differs from how Ursula Le Guin defines it (more simply exploring the remove between realism and imagination). Ultimately, it comes down to knowing the writers you're going to read. This is what I have done more of lately. This is why I'm starting to try out writers like Michael Moorcock (whose Elric character fascinated J. G. Ballard–why is that?) and Gene Wolfe (whose "science fantasy" series the Book of the New Sun seems to have garnered quite a reputation among critics).

So I guess it comes down to the writing and the reason why it was written. Many genre authors write towards the genre, and many muck around and aren't very good at it. Other authors—the diamonds in the rough—are writing to challenge readers in ways that get them to build a bridge between their imaginative works and the real world.

But, more simply, a lot of this really does come down to well-crafted sentences that break the cookie cutter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I agree with you. What reinforced my feelings about Catcher in the Rye was hearing what my extremely book-ish high schooler had to say about it. He despised the main character and found the exercise of slogging through the book painful. He didn't care for the writing style of Caulfield as well, which was my main beef. What I find most troubling is that 30 years later the exact same book lists are being offered to kids that they were to me. There's been nothing--nothing? written in 3 decades that could substitute in quality for The Catcher In The Rye? Lord help us. That said, I did like The Jungle, Death Be Not Proud and Heart of Darkness. Was completely clueless in understanding The Merchant of Venice though I blame the sub-standard, hick-town high school teacher for not understanding what she was teaching. Great Gatsby was a steaming pile, IMO. I got 20 pages into that and Cliffs-noted the rest of it.

10. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

personally, i never really like salinger. i didnt like s.e hinton either. maybe because i dont have space in my head for adolescent angst. other folk do, and they find these texts to be otherwise for that.

heart of darkness is a fun book if the person teaching it knows how to let you into the sentences. it's an anti-colonial novel written at a time before a real anti-colonial politics, so it works from inside that rationality and dismantles it from the inside. i have a whole dog-and-pony show worked out around this novel---i can't count the number of times i ended up having to teach it.

11. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I can't recall reading anything that I thought was 'shit.' Maybe because I am pretty particular and stick to authors I know or have been suggested by people whose judgment I trust.

With very few exceptions, I don't read science fiction, fantasy or 'bestsellers.'

12. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

Troll answer: The Bible.

Actual answer: Neuromancer (I know, I know, groundbreaking cyberpunk, blah blah) I tried three times to get through it. Put it down each time.

13. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Constitutional Law by Stone, Seidman, & Kush

[​IMG]

I don't think I've ever read a bigger piece of shit.

• Like Like x 1
  14. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

i'll agree it was tough to follow, but it really is amazing

15. Baraka_Guru

I tried reading it once. I didn't know what it was at the time and I gave up. After having read more about its significance (and more about its author in general), I want to give it another shot sometime.

16. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I didn't even think about textbooks! McGraw-Hill is turning out some turdburglars of late. Two examples: my "critical thinking" textbook titled "Think" and my human development textbook called "LifeSmart." They suck.

• Like Like x 1
  17. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Lol, to clarify, it's not that textbooks are inherently sucky, it's that sucky textbooks are shit. That textbook is so poorly written and devoid of cohesive thought that I had to purchase another textbook to self-study in order to understand what the first textbook was talking about. :)

18. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas because it doesn't make ANY sense unless you've seen the movie. i mean, fuck punctuation right?

19. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Oh, I agree. I have another human development textbook that is seriously great, and I have hung on to a number of textbooks as resources.

20. Tophat665

Makes perfect sense if you read other Thompson first. Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 and Hells Angels (that last is particularly excellent, I thought) give one enough sense of what he's going about to make F&L in LV coherent and enjoyable. Intensive experience with chemically altered perspective is also a true aide to understanding that book.

Most definitely NOT for everyone though.