1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Shit Books

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by EventHorizon, Oct 30, 2011.

1. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I read Fear and Loathing when I was about sixteen.
    I didn't have any trouble understanding it.
    But then, I have always been a little weird. :)

2. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

I had no problem following it. I just kinda found it shitty. I've read most of Gibson's work too, and really enjoyed most of it. But Neuromancer? I dunno, it was just an annoying read that wasn't very enjoyable for me, which is somewhat strange since I usually really enjoy cyberpunk (and Gibson's work in general - Pattern Recognition was fun, so was Zero History).

Happy to see I wasn't the only one who couldn't get through it. Though, I'm not usually one to tough it through books just because of some external significance applied to the work by critics, and I've given it enough tries to know I don't like it. This could also be my entry for the "Things you hate that other people love" thread :)

3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I read it for the first time while working as a nanny. One of the families I worked for had it on their bookshelves. It is meant to be trippy. I agree, familiarity with that state helps.

4. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

I'd agree with the statements that a knowledge of Hunter's other works definitely helps, though it was the first of his books I ever read (before seeing the movie) and I didnt have trouble with it. Then again I can see how some people (even more so if you haven't seen the movie) would be like "What the fuck???"

5. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

definitely. once you develop a taste for how he goes about saying things, its easier to understand, but that first time through.... fuck me

6. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

Anything by Gibson, seriously. What an ass.

Mason & Dixon by Pynchon can blow me.

And I'm heartily sick of David Foster Wallace.

7. Doris

Doris Getting Tilted

I read many of the Agatha Christie books in my teens, because my mother was reading them a lot. Not so long ago she gave me a book of Christie's disappearing during Christie's early author years, which pictured me a whole other side to her character and personal life than I had imagined. It was an interesting story, but I felt deceived by her earlier stories, because the book revealed her real life problems were entwined with her stories and showed that many of her stories were written under financial pressure.

8. buyn New Member

I see what you mean... I used to read Agatha Christie too, but not any more, I had enough of it

9. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

you could be equal opportunistic and add the Torah and Quran.

You suck by Christopher Moore.

10. EventHorizon

i'm undecided on I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell. on one hand, its funny. on the other hand, it reads like a frat-boy exaggerating his stories so he can get approval/$ from things he wish he had done.

11. cynthetiq

That's how I felt reading a few pages of any Chelsea Handler books.

• Like Like x 2
  12. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Is it safe to say anything you're forced to read in school might be a hated book?

I wasn't forced to read To Kill a Mockingbird.... but it turned out to be one of my favourite books because I actually surprised the teacher by how much I knew about what was going on in it.... I read it before that so that helped....

13. EventHorizon

The Armies of the Night or whatever by Norman Mailer is in the same vein

14. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Why would you attempt to read any of her books?
    She's barely tolerable on her show or any hosting duties she's done.
    I can just imagine trying to slog through one of her attempts at written witticisms.

15. cynthetiq

I read this as a kid and it was a great book as far as I was concerned: The Happy Hooker: My Own Story

I thought maybe this might be interesting.... I couldn't get past a few pages of it.
    My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands

16. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

Hmm, I've heard of her. I think I saw a movie about her starring Candace Bergen.
    You say you read that as a kid? Duuude. :)

Was it any good? :D

17. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Great Expectations made me want to hang myself.

18. cynthetiq

Yes, it was good. I think I was like 12-13 when I read it. It was before I had regular access to Penthouse Forum letters. I don't know how it stands up today, but in the early 80's it was very bold.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

This thread makes a worthy companion to the What books are your reading right now? thread.

In America by Susan Sontag. I slammed it in the reading thread, but it deserves another slam. I don't know why she wrote it, and I don't know why it was published. Perhaps somebody involved in the theatre can explain this self-indulgent boring POS.

20. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Silias Marner, the most annoying, dull, tedious, and just flat book I have ever had to read.
    Even a character with a seizure disorder couldn't make it interesting to me.

The weird part is Middlemarch is pretty good.