1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Shooting at PQ Victory Rally

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by greywolf, Sep 5, 2012.

1. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

The Parti Quebecois won the election in Quebec yesterday (a minority government, 54 out of 125 seats). During the victory speech by premier-elect Pauline Marois, a man dressed bizarrely in a robe and balaclava walked in through the back door with a couple of firearms (one apparently an assault rifle) and shot 2 people, 1 fatally.

There's a dramatic video of 2 security guards marching Marois off the stage while she looks totally confused and then there's just the empty stage. Apparently she was not the target, although she was only a few yards from the shooter.

The shooter is apparently from Quebec City, and was shouting something in both French and English as he was being put into the police car, but the audio is so poor I couldn't hear much of what he said, and the news is not providing any details.

While far from unheard of in Canada, this sort of thing is unsettling because we tend to think of this as "somewhere else" sort of thing. Maybe we're losing our innocence.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Yeah, this is a bit odd. (Well, so is the PQ thing. They haven't formed a government since '98. At least it's a minority this time.)

[For those without the esteemed privilege of being Canadian: the Parti Québécois is a provincial separatist party. Referendums have been held in the past as to whether the province of Quebec should secede from Canada.]

However, I don't think there is innocence to be lost, unless you consider this generation of younger people specifically. It was just before my time, but there was, of course, the violence regarding the Front de libération du Quebec (FLQ).

Some background: Political violence in Canada a rarity, but also a reality | CTVNews

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  3. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

It was definitely odd. From what I read, the shooter seemed to be shouting a warning that Anglos were waking up. Or something like that. I won't be surprised to hear that this fellow is mentally unstable and has some sort of issue with separatists.

The PQ win seemed inevitable. The Liberals were heaving under accusations of corruption and still hurting from the issues around the tuition strikes. They were going to lose seats, it was just a matter of how many. I am glad the PQ was held to a minority.

The one interesting thing was how the popular vote went down. It was split, almost evenly into thirds between the PQ, Liberals and the Coalition Avenir Québec. While that isn't exactly reflected in the number of seats won (stupid first past the post system) it does indicate an interesting split.

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

FpTp SUXxoRz!!!!!

/NDP'er

• Like Like x 1