1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Shop or not?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by bow35, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bow35

bow35 Vertical

After her humble salary she broke even. No profit. Like you said in your own exaple!?

We clearly live in different worlds. I work to sustain my household.
    --- merged: Jan 20, 2012 5:21 PM ---
    Have you never heard of the concept: Personal/private economy?

2. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

You've missed both points again.

Her business made enough of a profit to pay her salary. It was a profitable business.

And I've heard of the concept of personal/private economy. What you're not understanding is that households are not businesses. They differ in one very key way - businesses produce a good or provide a service. Households do not. You're trying to insist that households do something that they have never done in the entire history of households. There may be a business operating within the household (your mother's, for instance), but the two are completely exclusive of one another.

Yes, you work to sustain your household. Everyone one on the entire planet who works does the exact same thing. That does not mean that they are working for their household or that their household is a business. I don't know how to make that clearer other than to say that you're completely and utterly wrong about saying that your household is a business and operates like one. Everyone who's ever even cracked open an Economics textbook knows that I'm right and you're wrong. Let's move on, ok?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

No profit from her humble salary? So if an unforeseen circumstance occurred what did she or you do?

What does your household produce? Do you have employees or are you just arguing semantics to try to bolster your argument which has no basis in any school of thought regarding economics?

I get what you're actually trying to say in one way, but there's no way it translates to the forms that you want to force it on. Don't want to live for profit? Fine, but that's certainly not what everyone should do especially if it's some anthem to change the economic issues that the world is facing.

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Even with breaking even in a household: what happens when you need a new roof or you need to retire?

5. Random McRandom

when you retire, your house will obviously take care of you since it was mooching all those years. :rolleyes:

6. bow35

bow35 Vertical

Ok. I accept that household and buisness are different in economics-termnology. But I can't accept the fact that my personal economy should be fundamentally different fron a buisness-economy. Both has to survive. We both produce or perform services. We both have expences.
    In my case it produces answers to questions. The doctors declared me mentally ill, so I have a social insurance income. Once in a while I fill in papers or answer on the phone. If I stop to produce answers or not behave respectfully they lock me up in an institution.
    --- merged: Jan 20, 2012 5:42 PM ---
    That's a fear you won't get around by profitable calculation.

7. Random McRandom

well..that certainly explains everything.

#movingonI'mdonewiththis

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

What if my profitable calculation leads to an investment portfolio that generates tens of thousands of dollars per year?

9. Random McRandom

Then you still did it wrong ;)

10. bow35

bow35 Vertical

I stoped long ago to speculate in what I whould do if I won the lotto.

11. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

You may not be able to accept it, but that doesn't change the fact. Your household does not produce a good or provide a service in return for money. Period. That's the definition of a business. Your household does not fit that definition. I will accept that there are commonalities between the two in some areas, but you are trying to insist that a cat is a dog because both have tails. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.
    No, it doesn't produce anything. In fact, it does the opposite of producing. That you may answer questions from time to time has no bearing on your income. No one pays you to answer those questions. Even if they did, that would consistute a business.

Sure it is. It's called budgeting. It's called wise reinvestment of surpluses.

12. bow35

bow35 Vertical

You might be right. What I'm trying to say is that every one has to make some kind of effort to get the convinience they need. It's no way around that. That's why I say that both the dog and the cat are animals.

13. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

It was partly to blame, if not a major cause of the current problem.

The stock market works on growth potential to value to stocks. If people are out spending money, buying cars, and bigger houses that need more stuff, the market goes up and the people with lots of stock options make a lot of money.

If people buy up all the houses in a area, prices will go up, builders will try and build more homes, hire more people, and use up more supplies from manufacturing companies.

Where we run into problems in the global economy is when more money flows out of the country to oil and manufacturing than that country spends with us or other countries.