1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Shotguns: Auto vs. Pump. What's your take?

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by KirStang, Sep 6, 2011.

1. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

While visiting a gunstore with a friend, I caught sight of a used 590A1. I sold my old one a while back, but I still want a good all around shotgun (not fond of my 500 tactical). So while browsing and researching online, I saw the Mossberg 930SPX. Looks like a pretty nice shotgun.

However, I've heard that autos can be finicky and require cleaning. They also tend to cost more (although the 930SPX is relatively inexpensive for an auto-loader). If you had a choice, for a hardy, home defense, offensive, SHTF and general purpose shotgun, which would would you choose? A pump or an auto-loader?

I'd imagine a pump would require less maintenance and can be abused more. But an auto-loader removes the potential to short-stroke and only requires pulling the trigger. Thoughts?

2. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I have a pump gun for deer hunting.
    The gun gets wet, dirty, often times both, and is out in freezing temperatures. The auto didn't seem to make sense in that setting.

If it's going to be treated nicely, I think the auto has a lot going for it and I would like to try one some day.

3. KirStang

I was thinking of purchasing a used 590A1 and just dumping it in my trunk. Just in case sorta gun. In case I get rear ended or my car goes in to a river I'm only out $450. And it's a long arm so I won't feel out gunned and can probably purpose it to many uses.

The 930SPX @ $500 still seems tempting though.

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

The correct answer is 'yes'. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

for home defense i guess i'd choose a pump. my only shotgun is an automatic that i bought used. every couple dozen rounds or so it would hang up. i took it to get fixed and it hasn't messed up yet with only 100 shots or so through it.

the automatics are so fast and recoil friendly, but ya i guess they are more prone to problems. in retrospect one of the biggest things for me in a self defense shotgun would be that i'd want to be able to attach a flashlight. i'm not sure if i can do it on my automatic without a lot of changes (or duct tape).

also they say the sound of a pump cycling is enough to scare most intruders away.

6. KirStang

You can purchase a nordic components tube-clamp rail for the 930SPX. Decisions decisions. The 20" barrel on the 590A1 does seem a little long for HD.

[​IMG]

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

The difference between an 18" (legal minimum unless you go stamp) and 20" is... you guessed it... 2".

Turns out 2" is a huge deal on your dick but not on a long gun barrel. You'll be fine with whatever.

The best way to shorten a "tactical scattergun" is to use a youth stock or put on a M4 collapsible tube.

The earth-shattering difference between your 500 Tactical and a 590A1 is what? You've got a 12g.

I've got a Mossberg 590, Remington 870 and a Winchester 1300. They're all the same goddamn thing.

Auto vs. pump? Well, you've got gas or big spring. I suggested you check out the Benelli M1 Super 90.

Your $450 vs. $500 price range is a little confusing. If $50 is a big deal, you don't need to buy a gun.

Nobody with a brain would use a shotgun for SHTF. Heavy, low capacity, ammo is bulky, range is short.

A shotgun is a specialty tool, not a general purpose problem solver like a rifle. Every military agrees.

8. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

Dude you have like 20 guns already. Let's be honest, you started this thread so you could justify to yourself buying another gun :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Seer666

Seer666 Getting Tilted

Hard call to make for me. I like auto loaders for the speed, and if you get a good one, reliability is pretty much on par with the pump action. Pump actions seem like they would be easier to clean and care for, plus, they just make such a satisfying sound when you load them. :)

10. Stick

Stick Vertical

Just to be different I have a lever action shotty. 5 rounds in the tube, 1 on the loading ramp and 1 up the spout.

One of these - Yeah, it's chinese.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. cj2112

cj2112 Slightly Tilted

For home defense, it's gonna be a pump. Reliability, is kinda important in that situation. For clays, it's gonna be either an Over/Under or an Auto (I have both). If I could only buy one, it's gonna be a pump. Having said all that, I find fit to be far more important than the type of action.

12. raptor9k Vertical

My all around shotty is a cheap Russian auto but for hd i go with my 23" 870 turkey gun. I do have a stoeger coach gun in the safe now but I don't have anything on it to carry extra ammo so it stays in the safe.

13. KirStang

Just finished my build: I think I will need to find some sort of acceptable remote-switch solution for it.

[​IMG]

930 SPX Gen 3
    Streamlight Tactical 870 Mount (for the light)
    VLTOR Light Mount
    Surefire G2
    BagMaster 10x Shotshell Sling
    M16A2 Rear Sling Adapter
    Tac-Star 6 shot saddle.

The Tac Star Mount causes the aluminum receiver to flex a bit, so you definitely have to use loc-tight and back out the screw a couple of turns. In addition, the screws pinch the receiver, making it harder to 'ghost-load' the 9th round. I think the pinched receiver causes the gun to feed a round earlier than the gun otherwise would (hence making it harder to ghost load).

The A2 stock sling adapter is necessary if you want to use the sling as a tactical sling. I have the 10 extra shotshells slung across my back when I have the weapon slung. It works pretty well.

I don't know why the Mesa Tactical shot-shell holder is so much more expensive, but the TacStar has worked well for me in the past.

The G2 doesn't work quite like it would on an AR15. When I turn the light on and shoot, my thumb flies off the push-cap during recoil, causing the light to blink.

As usual, Mossberg made the stock too long for the average shooter. :p
    [​IMG]

Fired 40 rounds of Slug through the gun the other day. No problems with function. Need to try out bird and buck, but I don't have a place nearby to shoot buck or bird.

14. MJ Foghat

MJ Foghat New Member

Consider a double barrel 12g coach gun (20 in barrels) with triple O buckshot. Think portable Claymore mine. Puts the intruder off balance until you can get the automatic weapons into action.

15. Walt

Walt Vertical

Why not just start with the automatic weapons? Rule #1 of fight club is you always initiate with the weapon most capable of producing mass casualties.

I forget rule # 2, but rule # 3 is "profit".

• Like Like x 2
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Ahem...

Rule #2 is "M240B, Sergeant!"

17. KirStang

In that case, forget the 930SPX. Gimme one of these! Only 10lbs.

[​IMG]

18. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Pump? Auto?

Pfft! Side by side is best.

Best tactical shotgun advice ever:

• Like Like x 4
  19. ChrisJericho

ChrisJericho Careless whisper

I'm just stoked we get 4 more years of VP Biden's tactical advice. Hopefully in an upcoming episode he can address how to interface nightvision with a flintlock pistol.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll