1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Shotguns: Auto vs. Pump. What's your take?

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by KirStang, Sep 6, 2011.

1. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

Two years later and this shit still cracks me up. Miss the days when tilted weaponry was filled with good ppl.

2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I know, right? Guy was a golden turd.

/military dummies unite

3. Seer666

Seer666 Getting Tilted

Only had time to read half of it so far, but good article.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

OH NO, IT YOU.

Glad to see you're posting.​

5. KirStang

I really must say, rapid firing 9 rds of 00Buck out of a semi auto is pretty effing impressive. Basically cuts a B29 Silhouette in half.

6. Seer666

Seer666 Getting Tilted

Good to see my troll-fu left an impression.

7. PatG New Member

If you WANT a semiauto , don't let me stop you. I Prefer a pump regardless. And a semi is Not faster than a pump. Really good exhibition shooters can cycle pumps faster tha semis. Any even moderatly skilled shooter will cycle a pump faster than the can get back onto target.

If absolute shortness is a major concern , then a SxS / O/U with 18.1in bbl will have an OAL similar to an 14in pump/ semi . Of course the capacity is less, but that leads into the question of is the shotgun your sole defensive tool, or is it in addition to a handgun?

8. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I'm always impressed when somebody knows somebody who saw somebody run a pump gun faster than a Benelli Super 90. I'm sure it happens, maybe even all the time. I've done a couple of shotgun matches (I mostly do pistol and rifle) and I'm quite certain the semi-auto guns smoked everybody in the speed department if for no other reason than that they removed human error from the equation. Exception would be Saigas... I can run a SxS faster than some $2k untuned 12g Saiga race gun.

The only real liability with autos is that people try to run wonky ammo through them ("Why doesn't my tactical assault shotgun run on birdshot?! This is bullshit!"). If you're running proper 00B Magnum loads through it, it'll likely function fine.

In almost no situations would those lost 4" be worth only having two shots with a slow reload. And I can't see anybody that actually works for a living doing a home defense setup that involves donning multiple guns. Most people prefer handguns for comfort reasons, many preach the chock-chock shotgun, a few prefer 5.56mm rifles. The real priority for any home defense firearm should be a mounted light. Having played GI Joe in dark buildings, they are absolutely critical for anything non-gamey.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  9. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a "really good exhibition shooter". I'm just a "pretty decent shot". So I'm currently shopping for a semi-auto to replace/supplement my trusty pump. If I could find someone to buy me that Benelli (prefer the Super Black Eagle II slug gun for my uses) that I've been eyeing, I'd be all set.

10. KirStang

Yea, the auto definitely runs faster than the pump. And I'm more focused on pulling the trigger than shucking the next round outta the tube. For a serious self defense weapon, the 590 definitely trumps the 930SPX. However, the 930SPX is definitely more fun to shoot, and newer shooters gravitate towards the semi's softer recoil.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Why? And Benelli. I have a 590 and I'd rather have a Benelli for 00B blastin'.

Pfft, buncha no-nuts he-bitches. I just recently shot an entire match with an aluminum-receiver'd 870 clone. 1 oz. slugs ain't nuthin' but a thang.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  12. KirStang

Dual Claw Extractor, for one. No pins that shake loose under recoil and bind up the system. No lift gate to snag your fingers, etc.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Have you really had extraction issues on a 12g?

You know, aside from the occasional short-stroking.

Oooo, yeah, that is one spot where the 590 is tits.

/my thumbnail is so sensitive after ~50 rounds

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  14. shotguns are my weapon of choice, and I like auto shotguns but theyre a little to bitchy for me. they gotta be kept pretty clean and lubed up, I noticed a lot of the time using target loads they weren't powerful enough for it to cycle while shooting. theyre cool but just not reliable enough. I know with my remmington 870 no matter what unless its welded closed it will cycle a shell if I pump the pump. and if ya do some basic modding you can get it to where you can hold the trigger down and just pump it n it will shoot lie that like the ww1 and2 trench shotguns. id pick a pump action over an auto loader any day, though I do like the auto loaders, just not reliable enough, to much can go wrong very quickly, and the maintenance needs would get in the way in a fight or flight/survival situation.

15. buzzgunner

buzzgunner 180 gr. of diplomacy

Anybody who says that a pump is as fast as a semi-auto will always get an, "Oh, yeah? Show me." response from me. While I acknowledge that competition shooters with years of experience may in fact be able to do this, the average recreational shooter will not.

I absolutely agree. My wife and I have a matched set of Remington 11/87P 12-gauge shotguns, which we've competed with tactically for almost two decades, and they've ALWAYS run flawlessly. When I see a respectable brand semi-auto shotgun fail to function properly, my first question to the owner is usually, "How often do you clean it?"

Again, I absolutely agree. That's why my "nightstand" gun is a Glock 21 with a Glock underframe light. As an instructor, I frequently don't recommend shotguns for home defense, unless you are absolutely certain that you can stay holed up in your safe room until the police arrive. If, OTOH, you have to extract your children from their rooms at the far end of the house, you do NOT want a gun that is going to lead around corners, hang up on furniture, or generally telegraph your position.