1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Should private companies be allowed to donate money to direct govt. services like the Police Dept.?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by cynthetiq, Oct 23, 2011.

1. loquitur

loquitur Getting Tilted

I'm not aware of any universe in which politicians who oversee the provision of services turn away money that they can then spend and tout to their constituents.

2. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

It's only a bad idea if you assume the service in question is corrupt.

Also, there is a big difference between NYC and the rest of America. The town I grew up in likely wouldn't even have an adequate local police force and certainly not any fire protection, which is strictly volunteer, without donations from local businesses. The town just doesn't have the tax money to be able to afford those things on it's own.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

I agree. The potential for problems and potential negative perceptions is too great. One day it is a voluntary gift and before you know it the gift becomes an expectation bordering on a perceived or real protection racket. The irony is that JP Morgan Chase most likely has a corporate policy that states that their employees could be fired for taking "gifts" from the clients they serve or vendors for fear of the perception.