1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Shredders, specifically confetti & micro cut, recommend some.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Chris Noyb, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Iron Mountain is one service that immediately comes to mind; there are several others that I can't think of right now. I'm sure that a quick internet search would list quite a few in my area (one benefit of living in a large city).

2. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

We have several competing services, including Iron Mountain, in this not-so-big city. They will bring a truck to your loading dock and shred on-site, if you want.

3. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

This fucker ingests paper and Will. Not. Die. It might jam and smell like burning if you put too much in, but it's lasted for three years and probably 50,000 pages in my house.
    HSM S10 10-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder | Staples®

Incidentally we shred, dump the shreds into leaf bags, and burn those in the fire pit, but you could also pulp them with water and a bit of stirring if you want to really destroy them.

4. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I have one of these. When they say it can handle ~10 pages at a time they're not kidding, and I've put it to work

5. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I like how in your link for a shredder, there's a link for Federal Government customers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

I went with a Royal MC5 MicroCut Paper Shredder, used, paid about $15.25. I have no idea how pages/hours it had on it. I do know this: I've pushed this shredder way, waaaaaay beyond its intended use. It has completely jammed only once, got extremely hot, and turned itself off (completely my fault). After letting it sit for half an hour, it went right back to chewing up papers as though nothing had happened.

Apparantly this Royal model is no longer available, at least not under the MC5 model number. I couldn't find a link to a brand new one that was actually in stock, although it might be offered relabelled under a store name. That doesn't surprise me because I could see this shredder lasting a homeowner and/or small business owner for several decades.

It also (still) chews up credit cards to the point of being unrecognizeable, especially when the bits are mixed in with the shredded papers. On that note, I really hate when junk mail includes 'fake' plastic credit, membership, etc. cards.

The only downside is as the teeth dulled, they started cutting in longer strips rather than confetti when I fed in single pages portrait. Two pages at a time, fed diagonally into the center of the slot, solved that issue.

I've shredded many things that could've been thrown straight into the recycling bag, and frequently stirred & mixed the shredded confetti. This is probably unnecessary since most identity theft these days is digital. Oh well, it makes me feel safer.

EDIT--After reading some of the comments, and checking some of the links posted, I feel compelled to point out the MC5 is a microcut shredder, not simply a crosscut shredder that happens to cut in narrow strips.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  7. Chris Noyb

A follow-up re the Royal MC5, to clarify some of the cutting 'issues' I was having.

It works best when ran continiously, it'll shred one or two pages into small pieces likes it's supposed to. Anything over two pages and it tends to cut some parts into longer strips.

Old papers that have absorbed a lot of humidity (we live in Houston and very rarely run the AC low enough to get under 50% indoors humidity) pretty much need to be fed through one sheet at a time.